• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Licenses Gantz, Blood+, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Berserk volumes move themselves because of the established fanbase. It's the best rated manga on ANN. It's the most popular seinen title to be found on the Internet, with Gantz not too far behind. A few books purchased out of curiosity for the original source material of a video game isn't going to constitute that much when considering where its the loyal fans can be found.

bennyb wrote:
that gantz has 0 substance thing is total B.S.

HellKorn wrote:
Well, I exaggerate somewhat when I say that "Gantz has zero substance." There is some effort to character development and certain themes, and Oku does succeed in a way, but you really read the manga for some of the best, engaging, intense action scenes that you'll find in manga. It's really a wild ride, and you have simply have some really cooky stuff going on.

It's good, shameless fun with plot and character development sort of tacked on. I can't gurantee that you'll like it, but give it a try.

You don't read Playboy for the articles. You don't watch and read Hellsing for character and plot depth. There might be some crazies out there who do that sort of thing, but generally you just don't find them.

People read Gantz because of the crazy, adrenaline-pumping action filled with titz 'n asses that has rather appealing art work. There is some semblance of substance, but really, readers get a thrill out of the manga purely for superficials reasons. That's certainly not wrong, as everyone needs something mindless in entertainment every now and then, but I'm stumped when I see someone trying to make any story more than its out to be.

Edit: Fans of Eden: It's an Endless World! should check out this thread.
Trivial

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
I am looking forward to both Blood+ and Gantz releases. Gantz It is much more about a theme (Blurring the line between life and death, as if your life could be played out like a video game) than having an actual plot (spoiler[maybe that will change once the nature of what is Gantz? will be revealed.) ]I actually got excited about the plot twist at the end of phase 1. Phase 2 is my cup of tea since I like dystopian scenarios.

spoiler[Note: The main character will be revivide, the mangaka just needed to make the point that even the strongest members aren't immortal.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4