• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2007 - Keynote: The Future of Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Huh? E's Otherwise? Busou Renkin? Ouran High's Host Club? Where is that rule (not one of the unwritten rules) that say that the West should be like the East in terms of CONTENT or lack thereof?
Ouran is considered an inevitable license, so it's not like companies have overlooked it in favor of standard shounen romantic comedies. And if I'm not mistaken, E's Otherwise and Busou Renkin are more of straight-up shounen action series where there aren't opportunities for the male lead to react "maturely" to the sight of exposed female flesh.
Quote:
[Give me more shows with] some relatively attractive guy who won't run away from or spew blood from the nose over a naked chick.
There are male characters like that, but it's mainly the "antagonist" males in series like Girls Bravo and Suzuka, or some of the guys in shoujo anime that are self-confident and know what they're doing romantically and sexually.

But the R1 market could use more mass-appeal shounen properties, and I've been a bit surprised that shows like Busou Renkin and D-Gray Man haven't been announced. I personally wouldn't buy them, but I never watched the fansubs, either.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
No, no, and no. But I'm still an anime hobbyist who's willing to spend money on my hobby. And sure, the industry can target the high-end otaku. But it will end up like the rap industry; fewer and fewer respectable people will invest in it since the industry will only cater to those with no grasp on reality.

Everything goes in cycles. If the company execs have the choice between "unknown idea with 10% chance of mega profit, 10% chance of break-even and 80% chance of loss" vs. "100% chance of making profit on the same audience". You can see where the odds are. It's not specific to anime, lord knows we all need ANOTHER Final Fantasy (end sarcasm).

But the FACT is that even with that, the anime industry still DOES put out a wide variety of stuff that touches on a wide variety of interests. If you are unable or unwilling to find something you like then go ahead and leave the "hobby".
Quote:
If I wanted 20 episodes of some (albeit attractive) stranger telling me what I don't want to accept, I'd live in the ghettos. No thanks.

Am I just dense, or did anyone else not understand that?
Quote:
You're basically giving people like me, and basically every other anime fan who's sick of seeing the same cliches done in different styles and backgrounds, a reason to quit being an anime fan. It's considered weak and cowardly to not branch from the norm.

So it's all about the psychy. Back in the 90s, anime was considered a vegue and unreliable "possible market." And the people over at pre-ADV had busted the @ss. Look at this crap now! Oh my God, yo!

In the 90s (I know, I was there) companies like ADV sold anime at the NICHE market that it was. Anime was initially released sub only, AnimEigo even had the tag line "the best anime you'll ever READ". Then DIC got the wacky idea to localize this marketting machine from Japan called "Sailor Moon" and a bunch of girls thought "hey, I empathize with her" and in a very short time anime fandom went from 90% male to almost 50/50. From there it was just a matter of time before anime was "ok" (as opposed to being a "geek" niche like Star Trek). Then all the companies cashed in on the excitement and blammo, you have today's market. It had nothing to do with American companies taking a "risk" on the "vague" market, it had EVERYTHING to do with anime companies in Japan making whatever they wanted (since the US market was an afterthought) and certain companies just getting lucky with a "right place, right time" situation.

There are PLENTY of titles that target various demographics and stretch over a wide range of genres and interests. And many of them fail BECAUSE they are of interest to a NICHE and that niche isn't big enough to be worthwhile. You're a reasonably attractive guy that wants to see himself and his interests reflected in anime? That's great, but guess what, you're the MINORITY of the market and don't represent a statistically significant market in America (altho you SHOULD still be able to find shows that fit the profile depending on how specific your requirements are). The "typical" cool, attractive ladies man doesn't watch "cartoons" when he's in his twenties in America (often not in Japan either from what I see/read/hear), the stammering geek who's not good with women does. There are still anime with cool guys, because women like them and guys DO like to look up to them, but depending on what specific details or story you want, it might be harder to find because it's not worth the time for Japanese companies to make, or if it is it's worth much LESS money for American companies to license.

In the words of the immortal Phillip J Fry (of Futurama): Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared. You see? TV audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Am I just dense, or did anyone else not understand that?

For the dense, I'll clarify. See, in the ghettos, there are people called prostitutes, drug dealers, thugs, and (wannabe) gangsters. And depending on where you live, they're either a minor annoyance as neighbors or the leading cause of death.

Despite the success stories you might find about them; not everyone has this golden opportunity to leave this circle of violence. One would either become a drug addict, a part of a gang, whored out, or an unlucky recipiant of a stray bullet.

I hope this clarifies whatever confusion I caused. If not, then I'm sorry.

Quote:
In the words of the immortal Phillip J Fry (of Futurama): Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared. You see? TV audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before.

And consider how much more shocked I would be if it weren't for the known fact that people are leaving the fabled "idiot box" in droves. The internet does that to folks, you know. Razz
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]
Tyrenol wrote:
Also regarding diversity, this AskJohn column may shed some light on the licensing of niche/otaku-oriented anime. My impression is that the companies have already scraped through the 80s and 90s and brought out all the random OVAs and short series that they think are worth licensing, so now they're caught in the cycle from season to season picking out the newest items to bring out.

There are still a lot of good shows from the 80s and 90s and OAVs which haven't got a dvd release or didn't make the transition from vhs hell to dvd heaven. I'm thinking of Dirty Pair TV for example, or the Rumik World Series (Laughing Target, Maris the Chôjo, the old Mermaid Forrest/Scar OAVs...), Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals (1994 OAV), Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OAVs (1998 & 2003), and so on. I can't blame the US companies for not giving such anime the chance (although ..... Dirty Pair TV, c'mon ADV, what are you waiting for?) because, sadly, the chances are low they'd break even.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2