• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School Days (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
After hearing this anime's title all around the internets frequently, and now that this thread has been brought up, I decided to go ahead and marathon it. People weren't lying when they said this show was twisted.

Overall, it was pretty entertaining and emotionally driven. Most of the drama that went on didn't really invoke much emotion from me, but what ruffled my feathers by far was early in ep 10 where spoiler[it was clear that Kotonoha had sex with Taisuke. I don't know why, all the other drama going on didn't really faze me, but I guess the other girls (and Makoto) were easy to write off as sluts while Kotonoha still had that innocent "purity" archetype that otakus fall for. To see that taken away hit me right in the feels, especially because the way it was illustrated too.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
it was more like spoiler[Taisuke was raping Kotonoha]
Saber1213

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:
After hearing this anime's title all around the internets frequently, and now that this thread has been brought up, I decided to go ahead and marathon it. People weren't lying when they said this show was twisted.

Overall, it was pretty entertaining and emotionally driven. Most of the drama that went on didn't really invoke much emotion from me, but what ruffled my feathers by far was early in ep 10 where spoiler[it was clear that Kotonoha had sex with Taisuke. I don't know why, all the other drama going on didn't really faze me, but I guess the other girls (and Makoto) were easy to write off as sluts while Kotonoha still had that innocent "purity" archetype that otakus fall for. To see that taken away hit me right in the feels, especially because the way it was illustrated too.]

Whoa whoa whoa! Time out! When did Kotonoha have sex with someone? Which episode? I must have been asleep.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Saber1213 wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa! Time out! When did Kotonoha have sex with someone? Which episode? I must have been asleep.

end of episode 9 beginning of 10 I believe. wasn't consensual at all

Last edited by getchman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I recalled it being consentual, in so far as Kotonoha was already cuckoo bananas. So while she went along with it, she might not have been in a rational frame of mind to actually consent to anything. Still, I don't recall it being out and out rape. Then again, it's been a few years since I've watched, so my memory may be fuzzy.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Taisuke] pretty much forced himself on her right after telling her Makoto was dancing with Sekai and then claiming that she and Makoto are no longer dating. she wasn't in in any stare of mind to push him away so he assumed she as consenting. this of course helped to push her over the edge
Saber1213

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I missed all of that. I might rewatch that one episode, but I'm not sure I'd watch the whole Anime again. I have however watched the end several times. As chilling as it was, it was very well done. The music playing in particular during the murders was a nice touch.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't categorize it as a form of rape. The guy took advantage of an emotionally disturbed girl with a lot of persistence and she gave in, which made him think that they became an item after that. He didn't have any ill intent and thought that her feelings matched her "consent," which it didn't. It's not unusual to see this kind of scenario in some TV dramas (and probably real life) and see a relationship form after that. But yeah, the otaku in me was riled up indeed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Just because she didn't say "No" does not mean she's giving the green light. Taisuke, because an idiot, didn't consider this. Kotonoha didn't consent so much as likely being unaware of what was happening. She was in shock at the time.

Though in the end I did find it sort of funny that the only girl (aside from Nanami) that didn't have sex with Makoto was Kotonoha.

Now in the game Taisuke outright rapes her (with Makoto and Hikari watching on). But in another route they actually do become a legitimate couple.

Really the whole series is even more screwed up when you look at the family tree. It can be a bit hard to decipher, but I'll lay out two key points:

- spoiler[Sekai and Setsuna are both half siblings and cousins.]

- spoiler[Makoto is Sekai's uncle and first cousin once removed, on top of being Setsuna's uncle and great uncle.]

Man, just looking at this chart gives me a headache.

As mentioned in the character game not too long ago, I was most upset when it was revealed Hikari was sleeping with him. I was rather fond of her but that development came out of nowhere and made no sense since she openly disliked Makoto and had a thing for Taisuke.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
wait, what? School days and all its spinoffs and Sister Princess share the same universe? that's all kinds of strange. it's more confusing than the Tenchi Muyo family tree from the OVA continuity

Last edited by getchman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, that's quite a tree there. So it looks like this is all interconnected from previous VNs. I'm not even going to try to connect the dots here lol. It also looks like Sekai's work uniform is a token costume from the other games as well.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
truly bizarre. perhaps if i had more interest in the franchise, i'd know who some of these people are and the relationships would make more sense.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
truly bizarre. perhaps if i had more interest in the franchise, i'd know who some of these people are and the relationships would make more sense.

You think Makoto's dad having sex with his great-great-great-granddaughter (and the women of five previous generations in that family) can ever make sense?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
getchman wrote:

You think Makoto's dad having sex with his great-great-great-granddaughter (and the women of five previous generations in that family) can ever make sense?

Until just now when i read your post, i was unaware of that fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21