• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Song that broke you into jpop/anime music?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:40 am Reply with quote
Despite my penchant for heavier strains of music, I found that "Touch and Go" at the end of Blue Seed was just off the hook. After a few more from Tekkaman Blade and Arai Akino's Outlaw Star work, I was hooked. What songs brought you into the anime music scene?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:45 am Reply with quote
Accidently downloading Fly me to the Moon by Hikaru Utada, and accidently coming across Malice Mizer mp3s.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:06 am Reply with quote
I first got into J-Pop in 1990 when I was still living in the Philippines. A couple of years earlier, a singer named Hideaki Tokunaga released a song called "Saigo no Iiwake." The song was later on translated in Tagalog and became a hit on radio stations across the country. Knowing that the original version sounded better, I picked up Tokunaga's album Realize on cassette.

Aside from that, I also listened to Pizzicatto Five and some of Tetsuya Komuro's groups like TRF and Globe.

As for anime music, I got into it the same way every other Filipino did - 1970s giant robot anime, especially Voltes V (the unofficial Philippine national hero).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:23 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to the Pizzicatto Five? Are they still around? I remember one of their videos buzzing around back in the early 90s, but I can't say I've heard anything since then...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:24 am Reply with quote
Back when I was a DBZ fan, I used to download these AMVs off of some site called "Vegeta Insane," or something like that, which were mostly Megumi Hayashibara songs with DBZ footage. I fell in love with the music and began downloading MP3s of her, and it gradually escalated from there.

The first one I ever heard though, if I remember right, was "Space Lonely Soldier."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:13 am Reply with quote
first thing i listened to was... probably "Jajauma ni Sasenaide" (Ranma 1/2 OP #1)... which I listened to as a Quicktime 3 movie file, over and over.. would've been between may and august 1996.

if not that, it would've been one of the other ranma 1/2 openings, or one of the various DoCo quicktimes.

winamp 1.2 was released in mid-1997, iirc.. and I know I had done my first "translation" in the winter of 1996-1997.. so it was certainly the ranma 1/2 quicktime files that i had listened to first.

Yeah, memories. :)

[EDIT - The only problem with this is... if Winamp 1.2 came out in mid-1997, then how did I upload MP3s in _winter_ 1996-1997 to one of my local BBS's? Hmm... curiouser and curiouser...]

Last edited by cookie on Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trigunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:24 am Reply with quote
The First thing i ever heard was Neon Genisis Evagelion Opening { Name escapes me at the current moment } This was a defining moment in my life as it was the first Anime song i memerised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:06 am Reply with quote
Resolution by Two Mix is what started me into listening to the music, and then bands/singers like The Pillows, See-Saw, Yuki Kaijura, and Akino Arai are what keep me listening to it.
wcy2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:50 am Reply with quote
My first Jpop experience was Aqua by Shazna, I was like wow this is completely different from anything I've heard before, and so I downloaded more of jpop like Megumi and anime OST's, then I started buying them.
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:12 pm Reply with quote
My first experience with anime music is the Japanese opening of Sailor Moon, but that was not my first experience with J pop/rock. My first experience with J pop/rock is when I first listen to Nanase Aikawa.
SerialExperiments78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:04 pm Reply with quote
For J-Pop, There was a Puffy song that Spinner (when they used to have a station devoted to Japanese music) used to play a lot, I forget which one exactly, that got me into checking them out.

And as for anime, I think it was Gundam Wing that exposed me to the whole sub-genre of anime OPs and EDs. Now I always try to track down soundtracks of the shows I like, just for the music.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:27 pm Reply with quote
sadly, it was CCS's first OP that made me look for anime music...
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:37 am Reply with quote
It was not necessarily one song. It was all the songs made by Yoko Kanno that got me into anime music. ...well I listen to only her music...so I guess that doesn't really count.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:37 pm Reply with quote
It all started with the Bubblegum Crisis music for me... Twilight being one of my favorites, followed by Konya wa Hurricane... and then Ranma, and then NGE, etc, etc.... the list goes on and on.

First J-Pop CD... hmm... i don't really recall, but I think it might have been Utada Hikaru....
Kazumei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne Opening, Candidate of Goddess ending, and INuyasha 1st ending theme at the same time. I have loved anime and jpop/kpop since then
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4