• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shojo Beat discussion thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. Does anyone know anything about this new series? It doesn't seem to have an entry in the encyclopedia, unless this isn't the Rie Takada who made Punch and Wild Act (and I'm suspecting that it is, since those are shoujo manga and two of hers are licensed by Viz, but already released so it can't be them).
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Sounds interesting. Does anyone know anything about this new series? It doesn't seem to have an entry in the encyclopedia, unless this isn't the Rie Takada who made Punch and Wild Act (and I'm suspecting that it is, since those are shoujo manga and two of hers are licensed by Viz, but already released so it can't be them).

As you guess, it is a manga by Takada Rie, who also drew Wild Act and Punch!. It was serialised in Shōgakukan's Shōjo Comic.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Good to confirm the mangaka. Now can you tell me what it's about, since that's the more important thing?
Sarasa*Tatara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Gaba Kawa might be only a single volume, rather than a series. I hope it's good, I like Wild Act, but I haven't read anything else by Takada.
http://www.nippon-export.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=19765
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to even look at my calendar. I figured AB had to be ending soon as its only 6 volumes. And it seems like it should have ended several times by now. The next volume preview didn't label the AB chapter as the final chapter, so I'm guessing the one after that will be the last.

It's now possible to generally follow what's going on Haruka (aside from getting the long black haired bishies mixed up and not really catching their names). But at this point, I'm finding it really hard to care what's going on. It feels like all the characters are just playing their designated roles rather than being actual characters I can give a crap about. And the "romance" angle displayed thus far is really dumb.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Now can you tell me what it's about, since that's the more important thing?

Gaba Kawa is a story about spoiler[a romance between a person from the demon world and a human being].
『ときめきトゥナイト』といふか、辻眞先版の『デビルマン』といふか。
As to the length of the manga, as Sarasa*Tatara mentioned, the Flower Comics edition of Gaba Kawa is just 1 volume.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Gaba Kawa is a story about spoiler[a romance between a person from the demon world and a human being].
『ときめきトゥナイト』といふか、辻眞先版の『デビルマン』といふか。
As to the length of the manga, as Sarasa*Tatara mentioned, the Flower Comics edition of Gaba Kawa is just 1 volume.

Sounds interesting and I love that another one volume series has been licensed (hopefully this one is more entertaining than the last).
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
No offense to Absolute Boyfriend fans, but I'm really glad that series is finally ending. I've been really anticipating the end of it for some time now. I haven't really liked any of Yuu Watase's works since Fushigi Yuugi (although, Alice 19th was good most of the way through).

How do you guys feel about Haruka? I stopped reading it after the 2nd ch. Even thought I didn't much care for Kaze Hikaru and Baby & Me, I never actually stopped reading them. I actually really miss Baby & Me now that it's gone. Sad They pulled it just after the story started to get good, IMO. But Haruka is just too difficult to read. It's like a watered-down version of Fushigi Yuugi. The characters look nice, but there's always so much white space in the panels! I can never tell who is talking or what's going on because of minimal amount of art. So I've given up on that one, but I really love Sand Chronicles and I fell in love w/Honey & Clover from watching the anime fansubbed so I was thrilled when I found out it would be in Shojo Beat.
Sarasa*Tatara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Sakuya Masaki wrote:

How do you guys feel about Haruka?

I hated it. I don't think I even finished the first chapter. It was so hard to follow and the characters (the warriors or whatever they were) were hard for me to tell apart. I haven't even bothered to read any of the other chapters.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
To say that Haruka has been disappointing is a huge understatement. The first chapter was a horrific mess. They tried to cram 3-4 chapters worth of material in it and all sense of pacing, atmosphere, development, and making sense were completely lost. It was marginally better in the next two chapters and the most recent chapter actually made sense and exhibited acceptable pacing. But the characters are all still horribly flat and unlikable, they just don't feel real at all. In all that confusion, everything necessary to make me care was lost.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
Haruka seems to be trying to pull a Fushigi Yugi. Except they're failing at it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
It might be a good thing that I actually missed the volume Haruka premiered in and so never read the first chapter. I've only read the second (I think) so far so I really can't judge it yet, but I'm not taken with it.

I do however like it more than Kaze Hikaru, which bored me to tears.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Sakuya Masaki wrote:
No offense to Absolute Boyfriend fans, but I'm really glad that series is finally ending. I've been really anticipating the end of it for some time now. I haven't really liked any of Yuu Watase's works since Fushigi Yuugi (although, Alice 19th was good most of the way through).

Yeah, I'm glad it's ending too, to be honest. I never really liked AB, and Yuu Watase is very hit or miss for me anyway (I enjoyed Imadoki and Alice 19th, but Fushigi Yugi and Ceres didn't do much for me).

Haruka still continues to bore me. It has this lingering feeling of "I've read this before..." (Fushigi Yugi, perhaps?) and it's very cliched. Plus the characters haven't grabbed me at all. They're all very flat and uninspired.
silverwings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The manga version of Haruka was a huge disappointment to me. I liked the anime much more. The pacing was better.

When (if?) that comes over, I'd recommend trying that out, as I feel it suits the material better.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
silverwings wrote:
The manga version of Haruka was a huge disappointment to me. I liked the anime much more. The pacing was better.

When (if?) that comes over, I'd recommend trying that out, as I feel it suits the material better.

While it isn't "official" yet, it looks like Bandai will be releasing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19