• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ouran Host Club, Sasami: Magical Girl Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1. the text boxes and all the other signals are an obligation for Funi.
2. the dub must be fantastic and very accurate.
3. the subs on the disc must also be accurate.
4. good artwork on the discs. thanks guys for that addition
5. this, my fellow Ouran fans, is an absolute must: VIC MIGNOGNA MUST NOT BE ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR THIS DUB!!!!!

I have to agree with the Vic sentiment, he just would not sound right, in any of the roles IMO.
anyway, I know what my series of 08'll be now Very Happy good job Funi
LuzAzul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
him as Tamaki would not only destory the dub, but the hordes of fangirls would spew out from behind the yaoi piles and overtake entire conventions, much like with FMA.

........ Laughing hehehe i can't keep a straight face with that description.

Hey, not all of us Vic fans are insane, yaoi-paddle-wielding girls. Razz

I am sooo happy, I was starting to lose hope for Ouran getting licensed.
2008 cannot come soon enough. Exclamation
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad that Ouran finally got licensed after two years of waiting. Makes me wonder why would Funi picked up Sasami. If Funi can do a good job of Fruits Basket, then Ouran would be fine. As for Laura Bailey being tomboy Haruhi Fujioka, she would be an excellent choice. I'm not sure who will be pretty boy idiotic Tamaki, that could be anyone's guess.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
It really sucks when I do not have access to a computer at my house. I turn around for a second and ANN posts up all these acquisitions.

I am very excited to see that two series I want to watch have been licensed: Code Geass and Ouran. For me, I'd watch anything BONES makes in the case of Ouran. I saw one episode of Ouran and liked it a lot, mostly due to those crazy twins.

This has been such a great year for anime. The next step for me is to figure out how not to be so poor after purchasing all this anime goodness.

Sorry for going off-topic here. Now if only Viz would stop making so much Naruto for a bit and release Honey and Clover on DVD. They have already licensed it. They just need to release it on DVD now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
Vic hating is because he just...would not sound good as Tamaki. Or ANYONE in the whole cast ><.

there is no-one on the Japanese cast list named Tamaki?

uh...Tamaki is the "king" of the Host Club, the tall, blond male that most customers visit? Zalis' avatar? Main character besides Haruhi.

..I read that, more than once, as "as good as Tamaki". I need more sleep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DazzleNeko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
LuzAzul wrote:

........ Laughing hehehe i can't keep a straight face with that description.

Hey, not all of us Vic fans are insane, yaoi-paddle-wielding girls. Razz
[/quote]

Yeah, especially since most yaoi fangirls actually hate dubs. Razz

Vic wouldn't be good as anyone in the show. I adore him and his voice acting (he was born to be Edward, and I feel his voice was more fitting than Romi Paku's), but he would especially be bad Tamaki.

If only Funi could hire Liam O'Brien.....he would be perfect for Tamaki. Whenever I see Tamaki,I can just imagine him with his voice.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
You guys talk as if Vic's the only one they're considering for the role. Funi's got other male actors you know Laughing
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
@ CloverKuroba, DuelLadyS, and Zalis116's replies: Ah. I might check it out then. If it makes fun of yaoi fangirls, I'd probably think it's funny. I don't really have anything against people who like yaoi, but some of those fangirls are annoying and scary. o_o;
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
i'd like chris patton as one of the guys. not sure who though...maybe Kyoya.
No...maybe Greg Ayers would make a better Kyoya.

I'm a big Chris Patton fan and my best friend loves Greg Ayers. We'd be happy campers if they both made it into the show.
Very Happy

...although im happy it even got picked up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
While I'm a Tenchi fan, I can't say I have much interest in Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club. I may give it a try, but we'll see. Now if they had relicensed Pretty Sammy, THAT I would have definitely gotten. Regardless, I"m pretty sure Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club is going to sell poorly. I hope they got it cheap....

I've only seen the first episode and I glanced at some others raw. My Japanese isn't good enough for me to operate without subtitles so I never just sat down to watch the whole thing.

Still, the Japanese did an interesting thing with this latest non-canon Tenchi spinoff. They didn't bring back any original seiyuu and actually cast young girls in the roles of Sasami and her friends. I actually found I enjoyed not hearing adult female seiyuu pretending to be young girls for a change (not that some having done fine jobs, but one can really tell the difference when an adult does the voice and when a real child does the voice).

Anyway, I'll do my part to push the title. FUNimation hedged its bets though by only licensing the first title and not the sequel series. So they are no doubt thinking it could sell poorly as well, but at least they are making the attempt. Anime smile

The biggest reasons FoT never got past episode 1 is that the translator and encoder (same guy) got stumped on some of the stuff Washuu was saying, and then got bogged down with real life and, knowing him, probably WoW.
starcade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
ChikaraFire_7 wrote:
Quote:
5. this, my fellow Ouran fans, is an absolute must: VIC MIGNOGNA MUST NOT BE ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR THIS DUB!!!!!

I have to agree with the Vic sentiment, he just would not sound right, in any of the roles IMO.

Someone has to explain this. Why would you leave off the most popular voice actor you have on the biggest title you've licensed in years???
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

Someone has to explain this. Why would you leave off the most popular voice actor you have on the biggest title you've licensed in years???

cause some people think he doesn't fit into any of the roles Smile Razz
anyway I think that Eric vale would be a good Kaoru
both Chris Patton or Greg Ayers would make a great kyoya though
Nickle4aPickle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
(Note: The following are my own opinions - if you disagree with them, that's fine, but do not flame me about it, or try to change my mind. Sorry to be very closed-minded at the moment, but Ouran is my favorite series, & it will always hold a very special place in my heart. If the dubbing is screwed up on it, I will never forgive Funimation.)

As for Vic as Tamaki: Even as a member of the Risembool Rangers, I too would be horrified if Vic got this role. Tamaki's voice must be as smooth as the finest crystal, & as rich as Bill Gates's bank account. Vic has not displayed an ability to do this; his voice is very raspy. That worked wonderfully for Dark (DNAngel) & Ed (FMA), but I just cannot see it working for Tamaki. What would be ideal (in my opinion) is if the Japanese voice actor for Tamaki learned English really well - his voice was exactly as Tamaki's should be. Very Happy

As for Laura Bailey... I have very strong emotions agianst her. I honestly hated her as Tohru in Furuba - she didn't portray Tohru correctly (IMO). Tohru's not supposed to be "with it," or "down to earth" at all, & Ms. Bailey just did not convey Tohru's spaciness well at all. They way that she tried to convey emotions wasn't well done either - she sounded like an elementary child in its first play; very stiff. While she couldn't get Tohru right, she might be able to do Haruhi right. But personally, I'd rather not hear her in the anime at all.

This is going to sound highly conceited, I know, but I myself would like to audition for Haruhi. I think I would be able to a spectacular job on her - my voice is not girlish at all (& anyone who's seen or read Ouran knows that Haruhi is not girlish in any respect). While I have never done any professional voice acting, I have been in many plays & musicals in my life. Also, I have always felt a strong connection to Haruhi, & have been told by countless people at conventions that I make the perfect Haruhi (I cosplay as her), from mannerisms to voice (I even had a gay man convinced that I was actually a guy). If Funimation announces to the general public when auditions for Ouran roles are being held, you can bet I'm gong to do my best to make it to them.

Thank you for reading, & I hope that Funimation does an excellent job on Ouran!
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
^Yes, that all did sound very conceited. Anime smile; Not to be rude/No offense.

I disagree with you about Laura Bailey. I prefer her Tohru to Yui Horie's Tohru and I really like Ms. Horie's work. But then again, I found the FB dub to be better than the sub.

The thing is...you're supposed to tell that Haruhi's a girl. She might not have a girly-girl voice, but Haruhi's voice isn't exactly a boyish voice either. Maaya Sakamoto portrayed her as somewhat passive and indifferent, but you can easily tell it's a girl's voice. At least, in my opinion.
Nickle4aPickle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
There's one REALLY big flaw in what you just said:

"...you're supposed to tell that Haruhi's a girl."

Um... NO. Did you watch the first episode at all? You're not supposed to know she's really a girl until Tamaki sees her changing! And her guise throughout the ENTIRE series is that she's a BOY, wearing the MALE uniform, participating in a club that's entirely run by GUYS.

Re-reading what I said in my previous post, I see that I made it sound as though she wasn't supposed to sound like a girl at all - I regret not going into detail now, but what I meant to say before was that while she's not supposed to have a girly-girl voice, she still shouldn't sound like a typical girl, but not exactly like a guy either; more as an androgyn. As Haruhi herself stated, genders don't really mean anything to her, including her own. That too is brought through in her voice.

(I watched just the first episode before I read the manga, just so you know. Once I read the first manga, I started to collect all the manga & watched the entire anime series [fan subbed]) When I saw the first episode, I was thoroughly convinced that Haruhi was a boy - especially because of the voice. She doesn't have the high voice like all other Japanese voice actress give their female characters, & she doesn't have too much of a feminine touch to her voice. After it is revealed that Haruhi is indeed a girl, perhaps one's perception of Haruhi's voice & character now changes - we all look at males & females in different lights. What one must remember is that the other characters (outside of the Host Club, her dad, spoiler[& the Zuka Club from Lobelia/Roberia]) do not know she is really a "she" - thus the voice must not be an obvious tip-off. She must sound like a slightly feminine guy to them.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just took high offense to that line (I'm not entirely sure why...perhaps because I do feel so attached to Haruhi...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8