• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien(one of the best animes you'll ever see)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animegmr01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was the episode that hooked me.
Mainly the end of that episode for those of you who have seen it.
GUTB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I think that a lot of fans of the series are being dazzled by the superior screenplay and direction, and are apt to start projecting qualities the show does not have. It's a soap-opera, no doubt. Very common on television (especially in Japan) but never done before in anime form.

What really grabbed me was how powerfull the performances are, how well-directed and written the screenplay is. If you can't recognize the quality of this show, than you simply have no taste. This show is head-and-shoulders beyond any anime in recent memory in terms of design leadership. What a thuroughbred winner.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:40 pm Reply with quote
animegmr01 wrote:
Episode 2 was the episode that hooked me.
Mainly the end of that episode for those of you who have seen it.
I so called the end of that episode.

Show is so damn cliched but its a addiction.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Addiction indeed! I was interested by the first ep, and hooked by the second.

Anyone else a bit put off by the ending of Ep 13? Waaahh!

And everywhere I go, Takayuki-bashing seems to be favoured pasttime. I mean come on, can you say Shinji Ikaru?!?
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to ep 11 of this one and I really like it. One thing thats a positive is there is no filler to be found except for the side character jokes. Zac your right it has the formula for a Soap, but atleast its going to end. That in itself warrants it more credit. Laughing It doens't hurt that the music is good too.
I"m a sucker for anything piano. I agree about the screenplay and the performances. The show is very painful, emotionally to me, but I give it 5/5 stars for doing its job better than other shows I've seen. Craeyst I think you'll like this one, but be warned don't view it if your taking heart medication. hehe
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:57 am Reply with quote
its typical sad girls and snow anime of course Zac is not going to like it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Freddy C

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac, fair enough comments made, but you have to say this is one of the most realistic animes ever made (maison ikkoku is sort of another one). i mean in terms of anime, most are just fantasy, at least KGNE 's characters do act normally and they dont (apart from those girls in that cafe) do outrages things.

also another point, have any of you been in that situation...? nah didn't think so, so how do you now that it's not realistic, you may well find urself KGNE'ing one day if that ever happened to you Shocked

but yea, i agree very good anime, definitly in my top 10 of all time
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It's hyper melodrama to say the very least for one...

And since you posed the question, Freddy C. have you ever been in the situation or known some others in that situation either?

It's a soap opera... don't try to justify your enjoyment of the series with an indefensible argument.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:22 am Reply with quote
Domingo Chavez(DC) wrote:
where did u guys get money to buy anime stuff?

I rob old people, but that's just me. More often than not they are loaded and they don't put up much of a fight. Plus beating up old people is good clean fun for the whole family and it pays the bills.
Tasha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
It's hyper melodrama to say the very least for one...

*claps* I'm glad someone else realizes that KNGE is nothing but an unrealistic and disgustingly melodramatic anime. I know this thread is old, but I just had to say something because I recently wrote a very unfavorable review for KNGE on animenfo, and is getting some heat for it. Smile

It's odd...a lot of the reviewers there seem to think the show is realistic when the anime is OBVIOUSLY anything but. And I also find it amusing how I can explain in great detail how UNrealistic the characters are....but yet they cannot explain why they think the characters are realistic. Not one person who've sent me "hate mail" have explained to me why they think the way the do. Like I said in my review "To say I can see myself in a similar situation, is not only insulting my own intelligence- being that I and only 99.2% of the world- will never make such moronic decisions..." There's a lot of other things wrong with it too, but I'll stop there.

http://www.animenfo.com/userstats.php?id=38360. That will take to you my stats and you can just scroll down a bit and find the review.

OR you can go here http://www.animenfo.com/review.php?page=3&id=1243&n=ohjgii&t=kimi_ga_nozomu_&type=anime

That will take you directly to the review itself (I'm Pantha), but the problem is it may no longer be on the page itself being that more reviews will be written.

That is, if anyone's interested.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't mean it in a way to say that I hated the series. The biggest problem I have though is with the fans. Wink There are too many out there who seem to call this the pinnacle of Romance and Drama. To me, this is pure rubbish. I get tired of those going on and on about how "realistic" this is.

While I don't think it's the worst series I've ever seen, I can't bring myself to take the characters seriously. This again shows why games to anime (and games to movies no less) has one glaring problem that is rarely overcome. On the average, there is an attempt to take characters which work decently enough in a two hour time span and attempt to stretch them paper-thin over a 13 episode series. KGNE suffers this syndrome.

It would take awhile for me to write a complete review on this series and why it doesn't work well, but I think I've clarified the main problem anyway. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TessaTestarossa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Being someone who fairly likes the series, I couldn't really get myself to let this post end with two big posts of criticism. Can I? Razz

Seriously, if an anime appeals to a crowd of people, it definitely has some plus points to it. And when most of them says "hey this is a realistic anime", there must be some truths in it.

To reply about the realistic part, I think when people mean by realistic, they don't mean by "hey, I think the situation in KgNE is going to happen to me today while I'm going to the train station to meet my girlfriend." Instead, how this series is realistic is because of the way the characters respond to the situation that they are put in. Isn't that most of the case in real life? You are often put in situations that you never expected and you have to deal with it (or run away). Of course, someone can easily observe from the sides and criticise the actions that the people do. But when you are dropped into the midst of the heat, maybe you don't act the same again. It's like watching and playing Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. And KgNE shines through handling the character interactions well. At least there is no character that has magic that will right all wrong and the main character ends up with all the girls (oooh that IS hentai).

Anyway, I have to disagree the part about "attempt to take characters which work decently enough in a two hour time span and attempt to stretch them paper-thin over a 13 episode series". Well, how more colourful can you expect them to be? The series in my opinion deals with various characters and their thoughts in each episode adequately. Can't rush things.

Though there are certainly shortcomings, as to everything man made, I don't think its enough to call this series a disgusting one. That's why people flame you dude.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
The problem is with the assumption that this his how people would indeed act in real life. It's melodrama, it's not common, so it's foolish to assume that they would indeed act this way. If it had been based on a real life story, that would be one thing. It's not. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the series. If you have to try to justify reasons that are nonsense, perhaps you should look as to whether or not you truly are enjoying the series at all. If you like it, you like it. If you like a series that's aimed at kids, you like a kid's show. What's wrong with that anyway?

Find the true reasons why you like it. Do you like the character development and the acting? Do you like the scenario? That's great. Just don't try to qualify it with reasoning that can be torn apart.
silencer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
This anime gets way better!!! no doubt about it!! im a sensitive guy and well obviously i was crying almost all the episodes Embarassed but sshhh Anime smallmouth
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:35 am Reply with quote
Freddy C wrote:
Zac, fair enough comments made, but you have to say this is one of the most realistic animes ever made

No. No it's not. If real life were this pathetic and poorly-written I'd have taken myself out of it long ago.

I sampled Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and I hated it. This has to be one of...no...the most overrated title of 2003. Realistic? No. Quality? Hell no! Painfully contrived and cliché? Pin-pon. Right on the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3