• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Edited Pokemon?!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woo Jae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
http://www.comiczensur.de/zensur/sonstiges/pokemon/pokemon.html

I know - it's german. Regardless, I feel that the content should be the key thing here...

It seems viz is at it again... I didn't really know that they had the right to edit it so much, but then, I know little about manga anyhow...

If these surprise you, well, be reassured that they surprised teh crud out of me....
Mreow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Pokemon is THE most heavily edited manga I've ever seen compared to the japanese version. I'd rather call it a redraw than censored.

(_//=^_^=\\_)

Mreow
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I never cared for Pokemon, but I can see why Viz would have edited it based upon the age group that it is aimed at ~ however, I don't agree with the fact that they edits would range right up to almost redrawling it. So I have to ask ~ are those realy from the orginal manga and not a fan production?
Woo Jae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I just got it from a friend, and he got it from somewhere else. But in terms of content, I will take a look at the KinoKuniya store and flip thru a few volumes.

Didn't consider it could have been a doujin or something, but to me, it seems legit. (doujin--- blechh!)
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:53 pm Reply with quote
yes, this is correct. these scans were originally from "galen", iirc, in rec.arts.anime.misc, but they compare pretty well.

what's interesting is that some of the images were RE-edited by viz after the initial release of the manga.

i made a mirror of galen's images since he only had them up for a short time. i hope he doesn't mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmph. Interesting that they'd go back with some of the images... I'm actually rather impressed at how well they did the edits. I never would have known, looking at them edited.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:16 pm Reply with quote
haha... I really didn't know that it was originally drawn like that! Anyhow, the Japanese actually edited it themselves to draw the cartoon...right? How funny.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:18 pm Reply with quote
... Shocked

I never thought I'd say this, but thank you viz for the edits! Jeez, I didn't know Misty's outfits were so... small. And everyone had... whoa. That's just plain insane.

I enjoy my edited Viz Pokémon comics just fine, thank you. Man, everytime I see Misty, those images are going to haunt me now.
L337Llama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I never thought pokemon would be so fan sercive heavy....
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:50 pm Reply with quote
All I got to say is WOW misty sure has some big breasts for a 12 year old!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:56 pm Reply with quote
And WOW, that female Team Rocket member sure has...NO breasts for an adult. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hahha...greatly amused. Who would've known...? Smile
LordShishio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:26 pm Reply with quote
..........Anyone care if i puke on myself?
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:17 pm Reply with quote
misty sure is hot....WAIT!! DID I SAY THAT?!!! I remember watching Pokemon as a young mind slave, and I didn't really notice anything strange. Looking back on it, it had considerable fanservice in some episodes, as well as moderately heavy editing. I saw an episode while "taking care" of some neighbor kid. Good thing he's only 5, because I couldn't believe how the show got away with obvious fanservice. It was a red-haired adult character, with huge breasts and a little too small a shirt with a very tight miniskirt. However, the main trick came from multiple *slow* pans up her body. Sex barely made it through on Gender, how is this happening?

(I'm not slamming fanservice, [I enjoy it a lot Very Happy] I'm just mad that Pukemon[not a typo] got away with it...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
orphen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I know what you mean.I've never seen unedited Pokemon shows and get this.When you view Pokemon check out the lip flap and how they move their mouth to the words they say,It's totally out of sinc in some parts.

Orphen
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2