• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think Catoon Network should make an AdultSwim Channel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jihon-Go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I think they should to satisfy the viwers who crave anime uncut all the time...I would pay for it if they set a reasonable price.
Kazumei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I would only want it if they showed all the shows uncut.
ricbrist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
that would totally kick. Cause i can't get the anime network.
eva-08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yea they should make a channel because hardly anybody has the anime network cause they cant get it Evil or Very Mad
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:57 pm Reply with quote
If the channel will be coming I just hope it doesn't devote most of the time slots with their comedy shows and that majority of people can see it without getting cable or direct tv. Other than that it would be really cool.
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:59 pm Reply with quote
After Boomerang I think they may be hesitant to start a new channel in the US...
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:12 pm Reply with quote
An Adult Swim channel? I see it as nothing more than a pipe dream...and an unrealistic one, at that.

Seriously, Adult Swim is not only about anime. Sure, the majority of its programming consists of anime, but its biggest ratings come from the comedy shows, especially "Futurama" and "Family Guy". Anime does all right, but not well enough to warrant a channel consisting only of anime.

Further more, they would have to license a lot of anime shows to actually make up a decent channel. You'll notice that ADV's Anime Network is still an on-demand channel and not a real channel. I'm sure even if ADV had the finances to turn that on-demand channel into a proper 24-hour channel, they still wouldn't have enough anime series to air for very long. They'd have to go after more licenses, which costs more money, and...you see what I mean. The folks at Adult Swim certainly don't have this kind of financial backing for a niche market such as anime. They barely have enough money to buy the licenses for enough anime to fill up approximately 1-2 hours!

Finally, if there is ever an Adult Swim channel with anime, it will be edited if it were a network channel. Network channels don't have the luxuries of premium channels like Showtime and HBO and thus have to make edits for the mass market. It's akin to editing an R-rated movie to a TV-14 standard. If such a channel ever existed, you'd have to pay for it to be uncut.

This rant was written under intense boredom. Confused
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if that would be such a great idea, because they probablly couldn't have it in the hole entire US right when they start it, and would probablly be like the anime network in that it would slowly creep across the country, taking a long time to get to smaller cities. I also wouldn't want to pay to see the same shows that i already watch on adult swim, except that they would have subtitles, or be uncut. By the time most people would have a cartoon network digital cable channel, the anime network would probablly be all over the country with original programming, and more shows. Just my 2 cents
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Here's my opinion...
ABSOLUTELY NO!!!
Why? Because I have Dish Network, and I know those idiots will put the Adult Swim channel in the "150 Package".
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Uh Uh. Nope. Wouldn't work. It would be just like Anime Network and be an On-Demand Channel sorta thing. And as stated before, to put out a channel dedicated solely to anime is costly. It would be awesome though!
I want Anime Network...GIVE IT TO ME. Twisted Evil

>Anime smallmouth< nyaaa...

Last edited by Mou Kaoru on Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't they have it like Boomerang? In the regular package?
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:16 am Reply with quote
For starters,if there is an "Outdoor Gaming Channel" or a "Golf Channel"(yes,there is such a thing),there can sure as hell be an anime channel for godsakes.~_~

As for an AS channel,um........why bother? ADV is already working on the Anime Network and hopefully that'll become a traditional 24-hour channel.I wouldn't worry about the amount of content either.If it's possible to fill up a channel with GOLF 24/7,it should 10 times easier with anime.I mean,ADV already owns the rights to A LOT of anime so it's not like they're going show the 1st episode of Eva 6 times a day.According to ANN,Chobits is airing on AN so it's not like it's an ADV exclusive channel.The channel could even be a classic TV anime lovefest and fill up some slots with shows like Voltron,Robotech,Sailor Moon,Teknoman,Samurai Pizza Cats,etc.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:26 am Reply with quote
There isn't nearly enough material under Cartoon Network's belt for an entire Adult Swim channel. Besides, you just know bored trophy-wife soccer moms with nothing better to do with their time than f*ck the underaged poolboy (Tipper Gore, I'm looking right at you!) would just cry endlessly because CN would be "corrupting our youth" or some bulltripe like that Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
For starters,if there is an "Outdoor Gaming Channel" or a "Golf Channel"(yes,there is such a thing),there can sure as hell be an anime channel for godsakes.~_~

The difference between those channels and hypothetical 24-hour anime channel is the programming on those channels is much, much cheaper as there is no secondary video market for most of the shows shown therein.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordShishio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There isn't nearly enough material under Cartoon Network's belt for an entire Adult Swim channel.

Yah,
They'd have to get the rights to alot of Anime.

Quote:
Here's my opinion...
ABSOLUTELY NO!!!

How'd you do that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2