• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
or just someone who wants to know why on earth all those old(er!) people are so excited about this book,

The irony is I'm one of those older people, and never read the manga until now. Embarassed
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
Thunder-Break wrote:
So, the question is, if one owns the original version, is it worth it to "upgrade"?

Absolutely. I have all of the Mixx editions as well as Glenat's French translation, and the new one is superior to both.

pirkarf wrote:
Someone who gives Detroit Metal City F+ for art can't be taken seriously, anyway.

Out of morbid curiosity, is it the grade you object to or the fact that I disliked the art?

Mylene wrote:
Some people don't like the art? That really surprises me, Takeuchi's art is some of my favorite. But I'm rather fond of pointy-styles, and since I don't grasp anatomy in art it doesn't typically bother me that she doesn't always either. I also can't really see where it's dated, but then again, I guess I tend to read a lot of early 90s manga as well as stuff from the 70s or 80s, so maybe that skews my perspective?

I agree - I've always found her art very attractive, both for the sense of movement that she conveys and the general aesthetics. I did almost mention the dated quality, but the review was too long and I took it out. But I would agree that perhaps reading a lot of older stuff - or even a lot of non-Nakayoshi manga - could skew one's perspective.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Having finished reading Volume 1 of Sailor Moon last night, I do not completely agree with the review. That is not to say that I disliked it, I enjoy it a lot, but there are some issues.

The story moves almost too quickly for it's own good. I do not mind a fast paced story, but this first volumes moves at break neck speed and would have benefited from some spacing between having each of the spoiler[new characters] be introduced.

I do agree that the translation does not completely flow naturally but I think it works for the most part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
A lot of magical girl/sentai manga work exactly the same way - they introduce all the heroines right off that bat, generally in the first couple of chapters. I've always thought the purpose of it was to introduce characters that a reader might like. So, if you don't like the lead character for whatever reason, you might like one of her sidekicks and want to continue to read the manga because of that character.

Sailor Moon is the same way - Everyone has their favorite character, and a majority of people will list Usagi or one of the Inner Senshi as this character.

I think my only legitimate complaint with the new edition is that it would have been nice to have had the slip covers that Japan received on their reprint. Yeah, same artwork, but, the covers are nice and were something that I probably would have stuck up on the walls of my room back when I was a teen. Still, it's exciting to see Sailor Moon back in the US and receive the fanfare that it is.

BTW, I thought the article was well written, and probably one of the better articles I've read on ANN.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
The return of Sailor Moon! Gosh, me and my little sisters have long waited for this moment to arrive!

It's great to know that the new manga reprint is considered to be far superior to the last reprints and I'll consider getting it when I have the time for it.

Come on, Toei! Just re-release the anime series here already! Many North American fans have waited long and hard for it! If not, how about making a modern day anime remake/reboot of the series? It would definitely do the series good favors if it is given modern day animation upgrade and it give more incentive to get it over here instantly!

Looking forward to see if more future volumes are coming somewhere down the road.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
My copy of volume 1 just arrived in the mail. I am eternally grateful to Kodansha for re-publishing it. A classic.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Come on, Toei! Just re-release the anime series here already! Many North American fans have waited long and hard for it! If not, how about making a modern day anime remake/reboot of the series? It would definitely do the series good favors if it is given modern day animation upgrade and it give more incentive to get it over here instantly!

I would rather see another studio do an anime remake of Sailor Moon because as much as i like Toei as a studio, they really suck as doing remakes (see the 90s Dr. Slump series, Cutey Honey Flash & Dragon Ball Kai for good examples).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
Makes me wanta go watch the anime again. haven't watched since it was on cartoon network.

Same here. God, it's been so many years... I cam still remember when Toonami featured fanart, and all the "in-between" stories starring Tom the robot.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I did see the "Sailor Moon" anime and read a little bit of the manga. But there is something I wish her creator would have done. It's a manga called "Sailor Moon in America." It's about Sailor Moon and her friends coming to the United States as exchange students and having an adventure here. In some ways,it would be a salute to her American fans and it's something I'd love to see or am I just some hopeless dreamer?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think I am gonna go watch the dub for the lulz now. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I picked up volume 1 of Codename: Sailor V as well, and I LOVE IT.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Amazon UK's been arsing around with Kodansha's releases. Both Animal Land and Sailor Moon's been delayed over here. I got Sailor V no issue but ...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Thunder-Break wrote:
So, the question is, if one owns the original version, is it worth it to "upgrade"?

The Mixx version has terrible binding. All of my pages fell out... I think it's reason enough for an upgrade. Also, new covers and updated art.

sainta wrote:
I wonder, do they explain why nobody recognizes the girl when they transform?

It's not a problem in the manga, surprisingly. The minor characters are always unconscious or otherwise indisposed, so they never get a good look at the Senshi. Tuxedo Mask did, and he found out Usagi's true identity really quickly.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The art is dated as in the sense of comparing to the styles used as of now. It has the distinct 90's look. I know it is hard to define just how dated something is. I am a huge Tezuka fan. I know many people who are not a fan of his style.

I myself love various art styles, however I am not a fan of this one. Perhaps I'm just harsh doing too many art critiques in school from the past. I can just say Naoko improved as time went on. Just as many mangaka do.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Some people don't like the art? That really surprises me, Takeuchi's art is some of my favorite. But I'm rather fond of pointy-styles, and since I don't grasp anatomy in art it doesn't typically bother me that she doesn't always either. I also can't really see where it's dated, but then again, I guess I tend to read a lot of early 90s manga as well as stuff from the 70s or 80s, so maybe that skews my perspective?

Still think it's pretty though...

Totally agree. I would KILL to get a Sailor Moon artbook that doesn't cost over 100 dollars -_-''
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Totally agree. I would KILL to get a Sailor Moon artbook that doesn't cost over 100 dollars -_-''

That would be AMAZING if Kodansha made english print of those! They certainly are beautiful, but very pricey :/

Also, I see nothing wrong with "dated" art. I find NOTHING wrong with art looking "old". I appreciate style through the ages, and it's also amazing when you see a manga evolve in art style. One good example is Ah My Goddess. But the thing is, I appreciate the original art AND the newer style.

It's nice to see the 80s/90s style once and a while, because the look is pretty distinct for the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5