• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I still have the VHS that ADV released a while back , and it's definitely a blast from my childhood past. Unlike some boys that got into anime from DBZ and Gundam , my sister and I got into anime cause of this series (even though it's the DIC edited version that showed on USA Network in 1997)

Fixed!

It was my first anime as well and i first watched it during it's syndicated days in 1995 first on Fox Kids (which only had 1 episode air which was the first R episode) and then on WB11 (which aired the rest but out of order in it's premiere run). It's WB run will be remembered the most to me because it was airing on 6:30 AM every weekday and i had to get a special alarm clock and wake up a half hour early just to prepare to watch & record it on tape while staying awake.

Actually It never showed of Fox Box or on the WB. It first showed on USA's Action Extreme Team in the 90's before showing later on Cartoon Newtork.

NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
It sucks that ADV only released an uncut eng sub version only and not include an uncut english dub. Season 1 and 2 is LONG overdue for an uncut english dub.

In ADV's defense (and i can't believe i'm doing this because their sets were awful), had they made a new dub for it at that time then we wouldn't have it completely released here because of Toei pulling the anime licenses from everyone. Heck, the R set was released not long before it happened so we were lucky that it even got released here at all and that ADV fixed the music glitch that was present on one of the episodes.

Well i had no problem with the DIC's english dub otherwise i would not have bought the ADVs VHS Volumes since I still like them to this day, and cause anime was in only starting up in the US during the 90's so I can understand why those edits were necessary in those times.

Also to be frank, I'll take the DIC edits over the edts from the horror that is 4kids, any day of the week.

Though what ticked me off was that though they finally did an UNCUT DVD box set,they released it ala Media Blasters & never released it with an uncut english dub even though older series like Saint Seiya ( Knights of the Zodiac ) & Maccross Season 1 ( Robotech ) got uncut english dubs,and they used ADV vets for them. and you cant say cause it was not profitable as the reason cause if that was the case, they would not have included an uncut eng dub for both macross & Saint Seiya since from the sales on the manga there are still fans of SM left.And a lot of them.

I would understand if they did that with the stars series since it's controversial, but uncut dubs for S1 and R would have definitely given the series some justice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I think the uncut sets provide enough justice for Sailor Moon even without an attached uncut dub. Especially considering the archaic practices, even for its time, it was a victim of
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I just picked this up along with the first volume of Codename: Sailor V and I can't wait to read them. I'm so glad we have an improved translation for Sailor Moon and finally have Sailor V released stateside. I don't mind literal translations; I've seen them in other series and I don't think it will be a problem for me with this one. Like others have said, I'm relieved that these new releases are thicker, since I'm afraid of my old Mixx/Tokyopop volumes falling apart if I hold them the wrong way.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I still have the VHS that ADV released a while back , and it's definitely a blast from my childhood past. Unlike some boys that got into anime from DBZ and Gundam , my sister and I got into anime cause of this series (even though it's the DIC edited version that showed on USA Network in 1997)

Fixed!

It was my first anime as well and i first watched it during it's syndicated days in 1995 first on Fox Kids (which only had 1 episode air which was the first R episode) and then on WB11 (which aired the rest but out of order in it's premiere run). It's WB run will be remembered the most to me because it was airing on 6:30 AM every weekday and i had to get a special alarm clock and wake up a half hour early just to prepare to watch & record it on tape while staying awake.

Actually It never showed of Fox Box or on the WB. It first showed on USA's Action Extreme Team in the 90's before showing later on Cartoon Newtork.

Oh yes it did, it aired between 1995 & 1996 before Dragon Ball Z took it's timeslot on WB for a year and the Fox block that aired the one episode was Fox Kids, not Fox Box. If you lived in the New York City area then, you most likely missed it's WB run since most kids back then weren't even awake at that hour like i was.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Fixed!

Oh yes it did, it aired between 1995 & 1996 before Dragon Ball Z took it's timeslot on WB for a year and the Fox block that aired the one episode was Fox Kids, not Fox Box. If you lived in the New York City area then, you most likely missed it's WB run since most kids back then weren't even awake at that hour like i was.

Like other DIC shows back then, Sailor Moon started out in syndication, so whatever local TV station could pick it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5