• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Mushi Mushi?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm amused that Serenity was created by Buzz Dixon, who wrote for G.I. Joe, Transformers, Bravestarr, My Little Pony, and lots of other '80s cartoons. Too bad he didn't work Optimus Prime or Cobra Commander into his Christian faux manga.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think is safe to say I won't read Serenity, although I'd never heard of it untill now. I think the only "Christian fiction" that I have read that I would say is really good is The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see The Last Uniform get a decent grade of B-. Not what I would have given it, but it's not a series for everyone. Personally, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it but I'm not going to say that everyone should read it. Cearly, it's not for everyone.

Very slice of life, very quiet, very sweet. Acquired taste even for a Yuri fan, but still a very nice manga in my opinion.

Hope to see more of the Strawberry line of Seven Seas reviewed here. Just to say, it really was a good idea to change the layout of the column to the almost Phoenix Wright style with the legal element. It really works great.

None of the titles really grabbed me though. Anime smile + sweatdrop

The problem with religious-themed stories tends to be the over emphasis on the religious elements. It's always easier to make a religious point through a story rather than through a direct statement of scripture. (And we should all remember that anyone can quote scripture for their own purposes. Any relgion's text can be preverted with enough effort.)
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I have a sin to confess. . .

I read and liked Serenity (even though I'm not christian) I read up to... book 4! Dum dum dummmmm!

Its not a buy at all. It's a library read though. Better than other religious scripture spouting comics/manga like Jeremiah. (google it if you dare!)
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I still haven't been able to find Mushi-Shi volume two in stores! Anime hyper I'll keep looking, though.

Same here! I've looked at every book store that carries manga, even Kinokuniya, and I still couldn't find Mushishi anywhere. I bought in on a whim when I was at a camp at UC Berkeley, and I've been craving for the second volume... but I have still yet to find it.

The covers are so beautiful, I love how Del Rey made the covers fold in as if it were a hardcover.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Well, I think is safe to say I won't read Serenity, although I'd never heard of it untill now. I think the only "Christian fiction" that I have read that I would say is really good is The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

Actually, according to my sister, who is a Narina fanatic, said that Narnia wasn't supposed to be "Christian" fiction. It just happened to be written by a well-known Christian author with some influences seeped in.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, C. S. Lewis did not intend for Narnia to be a religious allegory. If anything, both he and his good friend J. R. R. Tolkien hated alliegories, because they forced a religious message down the reader's throat instead of letting them enjoy the story itself. (yes, that's right, Lotr is not an allegory either) C. S. Lewis was an Athiest for much of his life, and converted to Christianity later. Obviously his newfound faith influenced Narnia... Even Tolkien got upset with C. S. Lewis, thinking that he had gone against his word and wrote something religious. But C. S. Lewis continued to deny that Narnia was written with a religious intent in mind. Basically, it's the story he wanted to spread, not the religious message.

But anyway, on topic, I might pick up Bombos vs. Everything. I'm always glad to hear of decent OEL manga out there. Now, if only I can find Mushihi volume 2...
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Hmm...that's odd. I've seen the second volume of Mushishi in a few bookstores near me. It's a shame that such a good series is so hard to find. And that it's coming out so slowly. But Del Rey's doing a great job with it, so I can wait.

Great column as usual, by the way.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sugar Sugar Rune is the greatest magical girl manga/anime I've seen in a while [well, the manga more so.] I bought the first volume a long time ago, but I just let it sit around for months, the art really wasn't terribly appealing. When I finally read it I had to go buy the next four volumes. I've been meaning to get volume 6 for a while, but I haven't been to Borders. I don't think it's actually as girly as it seems to be in first impressions, but maybe that's just me.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, it's so easy to spot when an upcoming young artist loves Naruto. Just look—Bombos is a cocky young hero who annoys everyone else in his small-town village, there's only one girl who bothers to talk to him, his closest male acquaintance is a fierce rival, and he's dead set on training to become the toughest fighter.

If I didn't know better, thats a blantant copyright violation. Doesn't Tokyopop have a legal team, or all their staff just marketers?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forever for Sugar Sugar Rune in the local bookstores. And when I said local bookstores I mean Borders and Barnes & Nobles and the like. No offense but what the hell are those stupid Amerimanga/OEL/World Manga doing taking space on the shelves when Sugar Sugar Rune is nowhere to be found!? Gah!~

Sad Shall have to wait to get my first credit card then and run it through the roof getting the precious missing manga from some internet retailers into my fledging collection. I want to support the mangaka and whoever was bringing it over here but if I can't find the damn book I just can't - -"

Let's say I was desperate enough to download the fansubs of the anime, which was very clearly aimed and young girls and lacks the original's superb flowing art. And still enjoyed it.
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
If you can't find a title on the shelf, ask the bookstore to order it in for you. If the bookstore doesn't know there is interest in a title, they will never have any motivation to order it themselves.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's realy only one thing to say about Serenity
"Whoops! Can't show that in a Christian Manga!"

But seriously, even the Japanese have done better in regards to telling bible stories (The guy who was the Chra. design for Gundam did a jesus manga that did a fairly good job of being 1:1 on the idea of the Easter story) and when a bunch of Shintoists can do telling your story a lot better than you, the master of your own religion, well, you know your in trouble.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Ha! You covered Serenity finally!

I have to admit I bought both the recent Bombos and the older Serenity. The latter I got on sale.

I mainly got them because the authors hang out on two of the same message boards I do, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I've agreed to disagree with the author of Serenity on some issues about 'American manga' nevermind a 'Christian manga'. Though he did pretty much give the impression that it was mainly the publisher pushing for that title.

I am glad to see Christian comics on the market. I'm interested in making some myself. Then again, I'd like to make some myself. then again (again), I read comics by Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis, so I wager my stuff would be very different from the more conservative Serenity. Though I wouldn't go quite as far as Ennis did with Preacher as I'm a bit more traditional and moderate.

Conan-san wrote:
Well, there's realy only one thing to say about Serenity
"Whoops! Can't show that in a Christian Manga!"

lulz. No comment except that Rule 34 is true.

Also, aside from Bombos, I also picked up TokyoPop title Me2 by Sho Murase. I liked her art in a random comic of hers I bought called "Sei: Death & Legend". I ordered this when I saw it in the Previews catalog. Gorgeous artwork.

I also got Last Call by Vasilis Lolos. Finally! A Greek comic book artist! I love Japan, but it's about time I can support comics from where my family comes from. Though this one is by Oni. They actually call their graphic novels by proper names.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:
If you can't find a title on the shelf, ask the bookstore to order it in for you. If the bookstore doesn't know there is interest in a title, they will never have any motivation to order it themselves.

Yes this is great advice. My B&N is very helpful in this area. If for whatever reason you can't order online, and the store is out, or just not carring what you want just find someone and ask them to get it. The easiest way is to find the ISBN online and give it to them, that way it comes right up on their computer. Sure you have to wait two or so weeks, but they email you when it comes in, and really thats not much longer than ordering it online.

Another great thing, at least with B&N, is that the book will never hit the shelves. They hold for you in the back or under the desk for like 3 weeks or something, so you don't have to worry about candy bar stains all over the pages.

I had great success with B&N's omnibus editions, which for a while were not stocked at my store(now they are though Confused ). And if I ordered it off there site, it would have been $4 dollars shipping.

So point is, don't be timid asking your booksellers to order books for you.

Patachu:

Great read again, I just have one small question. And sorry ahead of time if this has(I am sure it has) been asked before. But how do you choose which manga you are going to review? Is it all personal choice or does the industry send you options? Do you take requests?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3