• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shōnen Ace Publishes Extra Issue Devoted to Evangelion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Rei is on every single cover...
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Where's the other characters? Japan loves Rei?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eloyabun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Where's the other characters? Japan loves Rei?

Without a doubt, Rei Ayanami by far is the most popular animated character ever created in Japan. Period.

I'm not sure but as far I know every Japanese magazine that features a cover about Evangelion MUST display an image of Rei.

I remember that Animerica mag did some polls years ago asking about the favorite female character among their American readers and the most popular was Misato (and Asuka was the second) , it is still the same? Who’s the favorite Evangelion character in this forum?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Something about girls with blue hair, I suppose.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
I remember in the GTO manga how Onizuka was obssessed with Rei, which may protray how the Japanese male otaku see her as the most attractive female in Evangelion.

And in some mecha anime that came after Eva, there had to be somone who resembled Rei in terms of hair and eye color, the quite, obedient personality and her being in the center of the mystery in the series, like the case of Eureka (Eureka Seven), Ruri (Martian Successor) and KOS-MOS (Xenosaga, an anime based on the video game)

This may prove how Rei is one of the factors that made Eva such a big hit.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zomg! Rei! Damn, I wish I was in Japan now instead of last May. Actually, a friend of mine just came back and he's a bit Eva fan and Rei fan. Though not quite the same type of Rei fan as I am cause he's gay, but still a fan of the Rei. Meanwhile, I've matured. I now like Misato more.

Anyway, I'm tempted to ask my other friend still in Japan to mail me the Rolling Stone with Eva on the cover.

I picked up the Continue in May with Nodame Cantible on the cover. Can't read it, but it's a neat collectible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1