• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga on DVD's

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:09 am Reply with quote
Would anyone be interested in purchasing manga if it was released like this?

http://www.intecinteractive.com/dcb.asp
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:25 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't, at least not right now. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to physically hold the book in my hands and turn the pages. I like to see the artwork on paper right there in front of me. I think that's part of the fun of reading comics. I dunno, just doesn't look the same on a computer or tv screen.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:32 am Reply with quote
Depends on how much material they plan to put on them. DVDs can hold a LOT of information on them, so if they're just putting something like a single graphic novel on a single DVD, that just seems like a waste pf space to me (I feel the same way when a music CD comes out where, out of 80 possible minutes of music that can be put on the disc, only 30 or 40 minutes is filled).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote
This is going to be like those digital books people started trying to release. That idea flopped, and I believe this one will too. People just like haveing the actual manga in their hand, there for them to open and read anytime.

I can see the industry start to crack down on scanlations if something like this gets big.
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nah... besides, I can't carry it into the bathroom and read it there, can I? So no, no good.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I can see the industry start to crack down on scanlations if something like this gets big.

................okay, this manga on DVD thing really is a horrible idea. Kill it kill it kill it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:12 pm Reply with quote
While DVD's probably could hold a lot more pages than a single graphic novel, you wouldn't be able to have it with you to read whenever you wanted, and that is what I like about reading manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quote
I agree with Cerberus. I get manga so that I can read it in my room. I'm only in my room when the computer is being used by someone and the TV is being used by someone as well. I don't want another thing I need the TV to use.
wcy2003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:41 am Reply with quote
The idea of having a physical book in our hands has been embedded in our minds for over 400 years. It's very difficult to break that kind of bond with the printing press
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Only if they could fill the DVD to capacity and still sell it with a reasonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps if they released the manga on the same DVD as the anime? (Assuming of course that both anime and manga exist). That way the DVD could be filled to capasity.

This will never happen of course, because companies would make more money by releasing them separatly.

In any case, I prefer to have the book in my hands when reading.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:44 am Reply with quote
Manga on DVD sounds like a bad idea. I often read manga to keep myself occupied on the bus or when i just want to be away from it all. A DVD is kinda pointless in these situations.

But i'm sure that once technology advances enough there will be books that are made with paper thin video screens capable of downloading several different mangas. With these books there will be a little interactive menu at the front allowing you to choose what manga you want to read and other various options. This way you could have a huge library of manga in one small book and just download new volumes whenever you want.

Ahh... i love to dream. Now if only this could quickly become a reality.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:56 am Reply with quote
Well, E-ink does have something like that, and sales are increasing, but it won't do color.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:09 am Reply with quote
Actually, i was thinking about the following news that was posted here at ANN:

Anime on electric paper? (2003-10-07 13:13:12)
Scientists at Philips Research have announced they have created a new type of "electronic paper" which could possibly enable books, magazines, and newspapers to show full-color movies. This brings the potential for anime viewing and marketing in more creative avenues, such as embedding anime previews in trade paperback graphic novels.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:01 am Reply with quote
Bah, the phillips stuff needs constant charge and will have issues in long term use, while E-ink only uses electricity to change the image. Phillips has more potential as large scale signs, but doesn't get the natural look that mirco-particles get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2