• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runemine120

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i have seen those and everything mentioned on this post lol, would take me ALONG time to list what i have seen. will try that site to see if i get any luck. I have a feeling i may have just run out of anime... if that is even possible.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Night fox--
Do not worry about it; this thread never times out.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic (particularly The Second Raid), Evangelion (specifically the Rebuild films), Gun/Diebuster, and Gundam 00 on the mecha anime side of things.

Yu Yu Hakusho, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Hunter x Hunter on the shounen side.

Black Lagoon, Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun (a little overrated, but worth checking out if you haven't yet), Ninja Scroll, Berserk, Vision of Escaflowne, Hellsing Ultimate, Fate/Zero (and the new Unlimited Blade Works anime), and especially Guilty Crown.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
runemine120 wrote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong area in advance.

I have watched what feels like every single decent action anime made in the last 15 years. I am looking for more (Just finished dragon crisis, more romance then action), but pretty much hit a dead end. I have sorted through at least 200 animes which either i have seen or have no appeal to me.

If anyone got any good recommendation that would be great, but be forewarned i have seen pretty much every mainstream one you can think of. Preferably decent/modern animations nothing like the getbackers(Good anime though).

Thank you in advance.

It would be helpful if you could narrow down that very general and vague request. What kind of action anime are you looking for? Science fiction/space related? Girls with guns? Supernatural? Mecha? Etc. Action is one of the, if not the, largest genres of anime there is so if you could provide a slightly more specific list of what you're in the mood for users could give you a better list of suggestions. Otherwise the list of suggestions could be endless. Thanks.
runemine120

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Well kinda vauge on purpose since I watch any kind of action besides mechs (few exceptions). But if you want something more specific then I'd say darker and psychological ones, similar to say hellsing ultimate, pycho pass, parasyte, and such.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I WATCHED A FILM CALLED REDLINE, Y'ALL.

*ahem* You know, I'm not a fan of action. I'm not very interested in manly men or giant robots beating the crap out of each other. Just give me a good story and I'm happy. That's not to say that action isn't a bad thing, as I am willing to give credit to those that do it well. It's just me. *splat* Keep your tomatoes in your hands, folks.

With all that said, DAAAAYUM. Congratulations, REDLINE, you entertained the catgirl and earned your spot on her favorite movies alongside AKIRA and Summer Wars. You can't deny that this film has style, as well as seven years of production behind it's stellar animation.

[EVERY. SINGLE. FRAME.]

Sure, it's not exactly mind-blowing in terms of plot, but does it need to be? REDLINE wants to be a fun action flick, and it is. It's just pure popcorn entertainment, and this looks like the sort of movie you watch with friends on a Saturday night. I can't believe I didn't watch this movie earlier.

No, I still haven't made significant process on my other anime series. Can you guess what I'm going to watch after Spice and Wolf II? Stay tuned for more details.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I would like to recommend to new anime fans and to some fans that like the classics some great anime you guys should totally check out if you haven't already. :3

Rurouni Kenshin is a great classic of the 90s Shounen anime you can start with. If you like historical or samurai based anime, this anime is the one for you. It has lots of action, drama, tragedy, very very little romance, and has that good old samurai type of series plot you might like. There are 3 seasons with 95 episodes in all. You are more than welcome to watch all 95 episodes of the anime, even with all the filler especially in season three. It's up to you. If you would rather skip the entire season 3, that's fine too. You wouldn't really be missing any important stuff because none of the episodes in season three are from the manga. Season 1 spanned from episodes 1 - 27, season 2 spanned from episodes 28 - 62, and season 3 spanned from episodes 63 - 95. So, with that being said, if you want to stop at episode 62 and forget watching the rest, that's fine. Rurouni Kenshin is about a former assassin known as Hitokiri Battousai, now known as the rurouni (wanderer), Kenshin Himura. He becomes a rurouni and wanders the countryside of Japan offering protection and aid to those in need as atonement for the murders he once committed. Along the way, he meets many friends and runs into some old enemies and some new enemies. Even though this anime is Shounen, it has a bit of a Seinen feel to it being a bit darker than most Shounen anime, but not over the top like most Seinen anime.

Fullmetal Alchemist AND Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are great classics of the 2000s Shounen anime you can also watch. If you like steampunk or alchemy-based anime, these two anime series are just right for you. It has lots of action, drama, tragedy, very very little romance, and both anime series are really amazing. I recommend watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime first before watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood due to Brotherhood being the remake/reboot and being closer to the manga than the 1st anime was. Both anime series takes place in a fictional world. Fullmetal Alchemist is about 2 brothers, Edward & Alphonse Elric, who, as kids, perform human transmutation (a taboo in alchemy) to resurrect their dead mother. This causes Edward's left leg and Alphonse's entire body to be taken away. Edward sacrifices his right arm to rescue Alphonse's soul, binding it to a suit of armour with a blood seal. After this, their childhood friend Winry Rockbell gives Ed an automail arm and an automail leg. Edward is invited by Colonel Roy Mustang of the Amestrian to become a State Alchemist to research a way to restore Alphonse's body. Edward succeeds, becoming the Fullmetal Alchemist, the title based on his prosthetic automail limbs and use of alchemy involving metal materials. Three years on, the Elrics search for the mythical Philosopher's Stone to achieve their goals. The brothers, along with their new friends they meet along the way, run into many powerful enemies including the Homunculi. Even though these two anime series are Shounen, they have a bit of a Seinen feel to it being a bit darker than most Shounen anime, but not over the top like most Seinen anime.

(DISCLAIMER: I apologize if any or all of these series have already been mentioned 1 or more times. It's really more for the newer fans and for any fans that never heard of these great titles)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8