• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action DBZ Set to Shoot in Montreal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Another thing for people complaining about the budget being "only" $100 million that I forgot to mention before... the article doesn't even say that. It just says that the budget for all three of these proposed movies will be "at least" $100 million, but since the movie will no doubt certainly be shot mostly against bluescreens with B-list or C-list actors, I doubt that it'll cost significantly more than that for reasons I've already stated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
duo05001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Man I am super excited about this.
HELLO!!! Why is everyone complaining so much? If this becomes a mainstream success it can only help further the popularity of anime in the states. This might get people excited like "O man this anime stuff is actually pretty cool". This has so much potential. I for one have been wanting this to happen ever since I first saaw DBZ I don't care if they dont stick true to the story. A new story would be just as good as the anime as long as they stay true to the charcter personality thats all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for Viz to let a greedy studio destroy Naruto.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
duo05001 wrote:
HELLO!!! Why is everyone complaining so much? If this becomes a mainstream success it can only help further the popularity of anime in the states. This might get people excited like "O man this anime stuff is actually pretty cool". This has so much potential. I for one have been wanting this to happen ever since I first saaw DBZ I don't care if they don't stick true to the story. A new story would be just as good as the anime as long as they stay true to the charcter personality thats all.
If is only two letters, but such a BIG word. If the anime didn't do it when it was played and replayed some umpteen times on CN, I can't see how an LA version will be any better. Besides I doubt they will make any great noise that it was orginally a Japanese anime. They might mention it was a cartoon but not much after that else they scare way any adults who would automatically calculate "was a cartoon = will be for kids only". But DBZ was edited for kids anyway so it's doomed from the get go. It's a bit of a long shot it will be a masterpiece to be emulated by all the other promised LA anime remakes that have yet to appear in any cinema so far.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I can Picture the beginning of the movie…

A long, long time ago, in a far away country of Asia know as “MongTiang Kanada” Danny Powell is being trained by his granddad to become the greatest master of a forgotten martial art known as “karati monkey!!!” Laughing
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just waiting for Viz to let a greedy studio destroy Naruto.

What, and lose out on the sensation of doing it themselves? Although, this latest OVA-movie is at least hitting DVD before CN, so they might be learning.

matrixdude124 wrote:
Well this is... interesting... but really at 100 million they can't do much unless they hire nonfamous actors, which would probably result in laughably bad dialogue and lameness all over, oh wait, this is DBZ we're talking about, that may work

Let us hope for as much, since it will still be better than

tygerchickchibi wrote:
Ironically, Jackie Chan and Jet Li are supposed to be in a movie together.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Wesley Snipes being a Piccolo. He kicked ass in Blade.

... do NOT hire A or B-List. No. Just don't do it.

Moogle-X wrote:
Prepare for the second sign. Uwe Boll will get an Academy Award for best director on a movie!

Ohhh, but then those poor HFIL ogres will be covered in ice.

matrixdude124 wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!
I can't believe it's really happening. This will be really decent or really horrible...

I went to flip a coin to figure out which, but it seems to be stuck to the table tails-up.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!?! I still don't believe this is going to happen. If it's going to start filming and I've heard NOTHING about it, this movie might be in for a lot of suckage. Last time I heard about it, they mentioned Brendan Fraser as Goku, which was stupid.

I know I shouldn't be down on something before I at least see set pics, but this smells either bad or like BS rumor.

At least Uwe Boll is not mentioned anywhere in this article.

The bright side is that technology could now support a DBZ movie. Ten years ago, not so much. We've got stuff like 300, Sin City, Final Fantasy Advent Children, Lord of the Rings, and a few other movies that used computer imagery to their benefit. Bad or not, I will see this movie. Maybe not in theaters, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
duo05001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
If you google DBZ live action movie it will give you this link to someone who did like a cast of people who would be able to play the chacters. It was well put together but the problem was they were all well known actors and it would never come together that perfectly because it would cost to much. Heres what it looked like from what i can remember.
Vegeta- Jet Li
Goku- the who played Lu Kang from Mortal Kombat
Piccolo- either Vin Diesel or Wesely Snipes
Bulma- Jessica Alba
Nappa- Bill Golberg
and alot of other people i can't remember but it was cool.
I am very excited for this even if it sucks o well at least it was made so what I always tried to picture this in my mind what it would look like and now we will finale get a chance to see. I don't know how they are going to get this at 100million, i mean all of the effects they have to do; flying, powers, transformations, etc. etc. etc.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I love how all these people with their head up their butt are already saying that the movie is going to bomb or how it's going to be the Street Fighter movie again or how it will be in the IMDB bottom 100.

They haven't even announced a director and you're already saying that? There is no news except one article that doesn't even seem credible.

Wow. Really. That's just pure fan stupidity,

douglas2k6 wrote:
Seriously though, this movie is going to bomb. First off, Fox plans to have the all three productions done by next July, and that includes DBZ. A DBZ film completed within a year is a guarantee failure. A rushed DBZ is not going to cut it.

Second, the article has information on the two other productions, but has little to no information on the DBZ film. No director, no actors, no nothing.

Third, haven't we all heard this before? I don't know how many times I've heard that they are making a DBZ film. It's kinda fishy that FOX green lights the project AFTER Transformers (another 80's anime like DBZ) does well in the box office.

I could be wrong though, but this is weird news to me.

All three productions done by next July? Where are you pulling this info from? Really. What source other than your own imagination. You're right. Fans need to learn how to source crap, not just continue passing rumors around the internet. If you read the article, they're talking about two other films, not DBZ films.

duo05001 wrote:
If you google DBZ live action movie it will give you this link to someone who did like a cast of people who would be able to play the chacters. It was well put together but the problem was they were all well known actors and it would never come together that perfectly because it would cost to much. Heres what it looked like from what i can remember.
Vegeta- Jet Li
Goku- the who played Lu Kang from Mortal Kombat
Piccolo- either Vin Diesel or Wesely Snipes
Bulma- Jessica Alba
Nappa- Bill Golberg
and alot of other people i can't remember but it was cool.
I am very excited for this even if it sucks o well at least it was made so what I always tried to picture this in my mind what it would look like and now we will finale get a chance to see. I don't know how they are going to get this at 100million, i mean all of the effects they have to do; flying, powers, transformations, etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, stop spreading the sh--. Such fan castings are very unintelligent. They just take popular names with vague relation to the characters. Hell, the only way to make that list worst is to add the stupid old idea of Jackie Chan as Goku. You know, because there are only like five Asian martial artist actors working in the world, right? Dear crap these fans are so out of it.

Also, let's not forget the end of Matrix 3 or even Sin City or 300. A comic book can be adapted correctly and they can do the effects of DBZ. With the right director and effect studios, it;s quite possible.

Personally, I don't care one way or another. I was shown about 50 eps of DBZ by a friend who's a fan and I liked it. A live action movie isn't needed, but it could still be good.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

... do NOT hire A or B-List. No. Just don't do it.

You're making it sound like I'M the one who's casting the characters.

Wesley Snipes. End of story. I just said his name, for hellz sakes, what's wrong with you people?

And sorry, you're not the one who's getting the last say whose going to be listed.

Mind you, I'm sure FOX does know that there are millions of fans that know we will stab them with more than just pitchforks if they f*ck it up. >.>; I'm pretty sure that they'll mostly cast people that we haven't heard of...

...Maybe...

Mohawk52 wrote:
duo05001 wrote:
HELLO!!! Why is everyone complaining so much? If this becomes a mainstream success it can only help further the popularity of anime in the states. This might get people excited like "O man this anime stuff is actually pretty cool". This has so much potential. I for one have been wanting this to happen ever since I first saaw DBZ I don't care if they don't stick true to the story. A new story would be just as good as the anime as long as they stay true to the charcter personality thats all.
If is only two letters, but such a BIG word. If the anime didn't do it when it was played and replayed some umpteen times on CN, I can't see how an LA version will be any better. Besides I doubt they will make any great noise that it was orginally a Japanese anime. They might mention it was a cartoon but not much after that else they scare way any adults who would automatically calculate "was a cartoon = will be for kids only". But DBZ was edited for kids anyway so it's doomed from the get go. It's a bit of a long shot it will be a masterpiece to be emulated by all the other promised LA anime remakes that have yet to appear in any cinema so far.

Actually, I understand what you mean when you say that. But if you haven't forgotten, they did temporarily play the uncut version of CN when it was aired again. I personally doubt that it'll be rated PG. I'm pretty sure it will at least be PG-13, considering it won't be an Animated feature anymore.

Look at Pirates of the Caribbean. If Disney got away with a PG-13 movie, why can't FOX?

Anime hyper In a way, I just want to say, to hell with the young audience. I'm sure most viewers were still between the ages of 13-19....something along the sort.

^__^ Just have to wait and see.
Tsukae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be optimistic with this one like I am with all these types of things. Even if it is a bomb I think it would be funny watching the horrible acting and guys "powering up" or whatever. Oh and whoever said that it would be good for anime to go mainstream needs to kill themselves. That is one of the last things I want. Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi:
Quote:
Virtual fireballs aren't any more expensive than virtual soldiers...

There're also things like ki, glowing auras, and Piccolo's appendages.

Quote:
It's all muscle-bound alien wrestlers standing around in mid-air shooting fireballs at each other.

Considering most of the WWE is on drugs
right now, they're gonna have a tough time finding dudes with muscles who are clean. Rolling Eyes I mean look how expensive the Hulk ended up being.

Xenos:
Quote:
They haven't even announced a director and you're already saying that? There is no news except one article that doesn't even seem credible.

Yeah, well they have a right to be wary after the LXG movie. Plus that last Fantastic Four movie indicates FOX doesn't even care about the writing anymore. I wouldn't even call it a movie, just a big-budget fanfic.
deathguise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
*cries into uncontrollable sobs and hiccups* why why dear god why have you forsaken us
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Figures. I finally get the job I want, and the next day the apocalypse happens.

*sigh*

Ironic.
gamebreaker04

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
All three productions done by next July? Where are you pulling this info from? Really. What source other than your own imagination. You're right. Fans need to learn how to source crap, not just continue passing rumors around the internet. If you read the article, they're talking about two other films, not DBZ films.

Shooting will begin shortly for 20th Century Fox's upcoming live-action adaptation of Dragonball Z. The budget for the film is estimated to be at least US$100 million. This will be one of three big-budget movies that Fox will film in Montreal over the fall and winter, along with a sequel to Ben Stiller's "A Night at the Museum" and a Roland Emerich remake of 1966's "Fantastic Voyage." Production work on all three films is expected to wrap up by July of next year. Source: Montreal Gazette

Really, if you're gonna act like a smartass, try being smart first. If you wanted, you could've disputed if the Montreal Gazette was a good source at all (like previously done in the topic), but the statement you dished out is purely under-reseached (and the funny thing is that reading that short paragraph practically given right in front of you was all the research needed to be done to intelligently discuss the topic). And yes, I'm sure the person you quoted referred to those three movies, not three DBZ movies if that comes up to be your defense. And no, I don't believe that there is a fourth secret movie in that shadows to be made in Montreal when they say, "Production work on all three films is expected to wrap up by July of next year" if you want to exclude DBZ in the list at all.

The Xenos wrote:
Seriously, stop spreading the sh--. Such fan castings are very unintelligent. They just take popular names with vague relation to the characters. Hell, the only way to make that list worst is to add the stupid old idea of Jackie Chan as Goku. You know, because there are only like five Asian martial artist actors working in the world, right? Dear crap these fans are so out of it.

If you've bother to read the statement he made at all (which I have to say is not your strong point; you have a habit of reading what you want to read), the list was referred to as "this link to someone who did like a cast of people who would be able to play the chacters". Now unless this "someone" was even hinted as the casting director or whatever, then he's not spreading anything. Although old, he's just informing us of old dream actors for the stated roles. So, unless you intend to dictate how we should think for your idea of the perfect world, please refrain from posting your elite bullsh-- crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7