• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Jane Air

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(I am proud to say that I have a Potato plush, which is top-heavy and amazing)

*GASP*

I've been looking for a Potato plushie forever. Where did you find such a thing?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
BV wants to cover all the possible bases. Why settle for old fans who probably weren't a big enough audience for Manga to justify a better transfer, when they could easily appeal to the tech-heads who own the next-gen players and sell more copies of their current shows?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
Hm, I must be lucky... the only thing I can think of that I've ever broken/destroyed/mauled in a rage, was volume 1 of Tenjho Tenge frm CMX after comparing it with my imports and seeing how much they had edited the title. I literally ripped the pages out at the spine and threw it in the trash.

As for the reviewed series, I tend to get bored/annoyed with "little hint of an overall plot"-type series like Mushishi or Haibane Renmei, and from what I've heard about AIR, not gonna bother with it. As for Slayers, I love that it's being re-released, since I never had the chance to buy it when it was new, so I'll be adding it to my collection for nostalgia's sake, and to actually watch it all, since I've only ever seen the second season in it's entirety.

And BVUSA needs to just go away. Seriously, how much money do they have to lose before they realize they won't be making a profit? Unless there are actually that many people buying their ridiculously overpriced releases...
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
Gao Gao Stegasaurus!!!

That is one of my favorite parts of volume one. Everytime I picture that T-shirt in my mind, I almost laugh out loud. Laughing

What a nice surprise to see Air shelf-worthy. Regarding Xenosaga, I'm a die-hard fanboy. They could do the entire series in stop-motion animation a-la Robot Chicken and I still would love it. Anime smile
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
The thing about Air is that it has a very sad ending-but I'd watch it again and again-Grave of the Fireflies and Barefoot Gen-both of which I have and never have and never will watch. To me it's kinda like Saving Private Ryan, technically a very well done movie-but depressing as hell.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I tried watching my Manga dvd of The Wings of Honneamise and had to stop. I'm pretty immune to what a lot of other fans point out as bad authoring or video issues but a dvd release should be 1000 times better than the VHS tape I saw this on originally. And this wasn't. Not even close. And they reused the dub for the new one? Why? Luckily, it's still one of those films that is so much better in Japanese.

So even though it will burn me, I can pick up the new one for about $55. Now if I can find someone to sell the Blu-Ray disc to, I'll be set.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
darkness: They'll make money, but not in the short-term. They have titles fans want, but they won't be immediately purchased. For people who import, buying through BV would save them money on shipping fees.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
I agree about Xenosaga...It's all just freaking cutscenes.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I watched some of the Xenosaga animation and my first impression was......hey, didn't that guy die at the very beginning of the game (or presumed dead)? Why is he in this scene? So, I gave up after 2 episodes and realized that they didn't do a carbon-copy of the game, but worse, they toned it down and decided to shuffle the characters around slightly as to where they fit in the plot. Instead of taking the chance to improve on something, like increasing the cohesiveness and pacing, they decided tosub-contract it to a korean company (if I recall correctly) and tone down the darkness of the series.

Sorry, I was a die-hard fan of the story for the games. So my opinion is biased.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I agree about Xenosaga...It's all just freaking cutscenes.

The cutscenes, when all put together, run about 5 hours. The game took me about 30 hours to complete. There's a lot more to it than cutscenes.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Slayers: Too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing this. Oh well, I might still like it.

Air: I've only seen the episode that ADV had streaming, so my opinion probably isn't as founded as others', but the main reason I would keep watching it is simply because its so darn pretty. It had it's moments, and the theme songs were good, but the animation seems to be it's selling point (for me, anyway).

Honneamise: Wait, let's see if I understand this correctily: they released a Blu-ray version and HD-DVD version, each with a standard DVD, all for $80? I think Someone at BV took the "Anime: Crack is Cheaper" shirts a little too seriously. But I still hope to see this someday.

Xenosaga:
Quote:
I know it was really popular with just about everyone else, but I like games that actually let me play the game.

I liked the game (and it only seems like the cutscenes outway gameplay, FYI), but I understand this kind of criticism against it, since most people don't give a crud what the stories are like and just want to play. I thought the gameplay was fun (except for the longer lasting areas and that gaming endurance test called "Level Grinding"), and since it was a story driven game I was able to appreciate it for the story it told. But...
Quote:
Based on the video game, the series is an almost scene-by-scene copy of the cut scenes.

Exactly how far did you play? The show follows the same plot, but it's rarely ever "almost a scene-by-scene copy." If anything, the extreme changes are what damage it the most.

The other criticisms I agree with, though. Bad animation & the art fails to be as good as the game. I wish this had been animated by Madhouse or Gonzo or one of the other big studios; they might have given the look of the game justice.

I'm just glad that after this volume it gets better. Still different/inferior, still looks bad, but at least it starts to be enjoyable around ep 6.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching season 1 of Slayers for the first time at the moment: I only saw seasons 2 and 3 in the 90s. And boy, does it make me feel old. Anime smile;; I don't think Slayers aged all that well. Still very entertaining, though. I forgot how awesome the characters were-- especially Lina Inverse. Her voice actress in Japanese sounds so freaking adorable!

But Funimation's release leaves ALOT to be desired. *sigh* I remember how excited I was when it was going to be rereleased. Then it got pushed back, and a Funimation rep at animeondvd.com assured us that the wait would be worth it: apparently they were gathering remasters from Japan. Umm, Slayers has never been remastered... Were they waiting for nothing? The transfer really does look like ass. Oh well, I never picked up the older release, so I figured I might as well get this one.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I hope Bamboo's more positive outlook on Air satisfies those who were grousing about my take on it a couple of weeks ago. Rolling Eyes

The comments on Slayers sound right. Although I only ever saw a few episodes of it, I agree with the sentiment: certainly entertaining for its time, but it doesn't stand up well to the better recent fantasy series.

Hey, I agreed with you on certain points thank you. Razz So it wasn't all bad. My opinion of it lies in between both of yours honestly. Read at own risk spoiler[Though while "Gao" is cute it IS NOT CUTE when your gf tries to be funny and say it during sex. That's called a mood killer. Rolling Eyes So everyone, keep your Gao's out of the bedroom ok?]

As for Slayers, I agree with Bamboo. I have the entire set, all 3 seasons, on dvd box sets plus every OVA release and the movie. I love the show but there are better out there now. For those of us who have it buying the new Funi sets is just like burning money. Nothing new and fancy enough to even entice us to do it really. I do recommend people renting it and watching it though. If you don't have the box sets maybe buying the Funi's would work but definitely for those of us who already have it. My question is are they going to re-release the OVA's as well?

SakechanBD wrote:

I'm seriously baffled by their marketing decision for this movie. When you read the back of the box description, they say, "This combo pack comes with both a Blu Ray disc and a regular DVD!" It's like they expect you to appreciate that they've tacked on a standard def DVD as an extra-- only you're paying an arm and a leg for that extra.

I'm not sure how the price breaks down. At $80, that's like saying that HD = $40, and DVD = $40-- though generally HD costs more, so $45/35, $50/30? Even then, if they only sold the HD version, it's still (at least) $40, but that's at least easier to swallow than $80 in one go.

I just don't get it.

It was at that point when I stood up and walked out of their panel at Otakon (which was right before your guy's panel actually). I thought Galaxy Angel Rune was bad enough. But between this and Freedom I felt like I might as well just set my money on fire for all the good it would do me. I'd rather buy the damn Xenosaga series at this point. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
@ Psycho: Funi isn't going to re-release the OVAs, but ADV will release both series in one collection:

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6699.php

Probably to cash in on people collecting Slayers for the first time via the Funimation TV series sets. I already bought the individual OVA discs, so there won't be much reason to get the rerelease unless the packaging is really cool.

And "gao~" in the bedroom: that would weird me out too, mainly because I never thought of Misuzu (or any of the AIR girls, now that I think about it) in a sexual way.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

And "gao~" in the bedroom: that would weird me out too, mainly because I never thought of Misuzu (or any of the AIR girls, now that I think about it) in a sexual way.

Isn't that just a bit ironic, considering the original source material? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5