• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seppuku, Harakiri, HELP

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:44 pm Reply with quote
When I read mangas, there are some that mention Seppuku or Harakiri. Both are ritual suicide, but what's the difference between Seppuku and Harakiri?
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much the same thing. The characters are the same, but arranged differently in both spellings. 切腹 (seppuku) vs. 腹切り (harakiri)... Of course, unless ANN supports double byte characters (which I believe it does) and your browser supports Japanese, you won't see the Japanese....
LordShishio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:50 pm Reply with quote
My japanese dictionary says their the same thing.
Don't know what kind of suicide either or all are.
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Self-disembowelment. Insert blade at left side of belly, pull across to the right side, and then up to meet the sternum. That's the form commonly thought of....
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:01 pm Reply with quote
So they are the same thing, including how it's perfomed. For example, everyone wears white and there is a second who is going to chop the person's head off.
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:16 pm Reply with quote
More or less... neither white nor the second is required, however.... but they are for an actual ceremony, but that's not necessary either.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:16 am Reply with quote
Actually the two are different. Harakiri only the person who's committing suicide, while seppuku involves a second. I'm not exactly sure why one is chosen over the other, though. With harakiri, if you make any noise during the ritual, you're unable to reclaim your honor. With seppuku, the head is cut off immediately after the blade enters the belly, but the second person has to cut the head in such a way so that it falls forward without falling off the neck completely (a bit of flesh is left to hold the head on). If the head doesn't fall forward, or if the head completely falls off and hits the ground, then the second person must immediately commit harakiri for dishonoring the first person. I've only read about this from one source, so hopefully this is all correct.
LordShishio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:16 am Reply with quote
Disembowlment ay sounds cool.
*picks up kitchen knife a runs to teather's house*
InfernalSpawnOfEvil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:59 am Reply with quote
For some reason I though that seppuku also involved getting cut in half at the belly. Shocked

But then again... I was quite young when I was told this. How I remember it I'll never know.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually the two are different. Harakiri only the person who's committing suicide, while seppuku involves a second. I'm not exactly sure why one is chosen over the other, though. With harakiri, if you make any noise during the ritual, you're unable to reclaim your honor. With seppuku, the head is cut off immediately after the blade enters the belly, but the second person has to cut the head in such a way so that it falls forward without falling off the neck completely (a bit of flesh is left to hold the head on). If the head doesn't fall forward, or if the head completely falls off and hits the ground, then the second person must immediately commit harakiri for dishonoring the first person. I've only read about this from one source, so hopefully this is all correct.

I am studying alot about japanese culture (because I am going to have the damn thing on my college entrance exam) + my gf is japanese and I can confirm you are technically right.
And also. Harakiri (done alone) was usually commited on the battle field - VERY QUICKLY - ALONE.
But... if it was an order from the shogun (or high rank person) then it is called seppuku. It was a very formal ceremony, requiring certain etiquette, witnesses and considerable preparation. And of course - the secodn person. Actually you are also right about the head (I`m little immpressed because it is not a well know fact). But also it was a great honour for YOURSELf if you did cut off the head correctly.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For some reason I though that seppuku also involved getting cut in half at the belly.

I think the reason that the belly cut isn't in seppuku is because it's a slightly different ritual. I've also heard that the head is cut off to make sure a person doesn't make any noise before they die. It's possible that seppuku was reserved for higher officials/samurai. To respect their authority and/or service in life, they're given a better chance to reclaim their honor.

Quote:
And also. Harakiri (done alone) was usually commited on the battle field - VERY QUICKLY - ALONE.
But... if it was an order from the shogun (or high rank person) then it is called seppuku.

Ahh that explains it, thanks! Heh I could never figure out why one was chosen over the other.

The only thing that I've never figured out about seppuku is how the second person is able to cut off the head correctly. Do they practice, and if they do, on what? Or who? ^^;
Kidotai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only thing that I've never figured out about seppuku is how the second person is able to cut off the head correctly. Do they practice, and if they do, on what? Or who? ^^;

R. Lee Ermry's hated enemy....watermelons. Laughing
westsidemack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:15 pm Reply with quote
My guess they would have to swing the sword from the side of the neck and have perfect depth perception as far as how far in they cut. It would be extremely diffulcult to do it from the back of the neck and not fully cut off the head.
Kidotai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:06 am Reply with quote
The problem with cutting into someone's neck is that you have to cut thru bone (mainly the spinal cord), muscle, nerves, a windpipe, vocal cords (if your aim is bad), and skin.

The Executioners Axe, prefered as "the honorable way to die" by European Nobility, actually slammed it's way to chop the head off. It took maybe 2 or 3 swings just to cut the head. Hanging, which was atrocious and left for commoners, was quick and to the point, rather than the blunt force of the axe, which meant that you could die in agony rather than a quick and painless death.

Also, during the beginings of the French Revolution, executioners in france complained that the number of prisoners that they had to "process" overwhemed the supply of swords that could be reasonably made. Each sword only could cut thru two people before becoming dull. This arguement was the reason why we now have the Guillotine in the history books.
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... a suicide thread... now I've seen 4/7 of it all. Sure hope some parents don't find this, with such violence and everything. Could a learned individual point me in the direction of where they found such information? I'm looking in to studying Japanese culture seriously as an amateur. (Oxymoron, I know)

"Suicidal thoughts, running through my head. I can't believe it all, I want to see them dead!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2