• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika, Jin-Roh to Come to High-Def Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Hah, Paprika just opened at a theatre here in Baltimore. Let's see Pirates of the Carribean stick around this long.

Well, one of them's a better movie... (and, of course, it's Kon's)

Anyway, I'm completely satisfied with my standard-def disc for Jin-Roh. It's a visually beautiful movie, something I'd love to own in High-def, but not at that price.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Also wasn't Praprika dubbed in like nine different languages. Any word on whether Sony will include any of those on these releases?

It may not mean much, but DVD Pacific's listing indicates that the English dub will be included.

Ah, I see, well that is glimmer at least. Although it doesn't say english dub. I remember reading it was being dubbed in a bunch of different languages, but I don't remember if english was one of them. I thought I read that on ANN, but I can't seem to find anything on it here, so it might of just been a rumor.

Either way we are getting it $10 cheaper compared to the R2. Although the $109 box looks absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone think we will be getting anything resembling that with the $80 Jin-Roh from Bandai Visual? If not, I guess we should be grateful they are giving it to us $8 cheaper than the barebones Japanese blu-ray release. I wonder why such a much older movie is $37 more expensive in Japan. Jin-Roh is $88, and Paprika is $51.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
wow $80.00 for a blu-ray, sorry but i'll stick with good old DVD
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The $80 price tag for Jin-Roh is more attributed to BVUSA's extreme prices than the new format's price. BVUSA's Honneamise is the only Blu-ray title (not counting box sets for Heroes, Rescue Me, etc.) that I've spent over $27.95 after shipping and taxes.

I preordered Tekkon Krinket for $26.95 at amazon which is about the same amount I've spent on most of my high definition discs. BVUSA's half hour Freedom volumes also come out to $27.95 when preordered through amazon. The pre-order price for Paprika is very typical for a Blu-Ray release.

I'm used to spending $22-28 for HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles ($16-23 for standard def titles) and wouldn't mind the relative price difference for standard to HD anime since HD counterparts are not a huge percentage (27-37%) higher. Paprika being on the slightly steeper side considering the sub $30 MSRP price of the standard definition release.

The current formula would suggest that anime would go from a standard $30 to a $40 HD premium price. BVUSA just has a habit of doubling their prices regardless to format. This should hardly be a surprise though since Bandai Visual just released the STANDARD definition version of Galaxy Angel Rune volume 2 for $50 MSRP. I love HD and don't blame the format, but rather point my finger at BVUSA for the ridiculous price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2