• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Shunji Suzuki Confirms Nichijō, R-15, Itsuten's Low Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Okay... in what way was the Lucky Star release different besides having 12 volumes instead of 13 because it was 2 episodes shorter? It had all of those things.

Lucky Star didn't have all that. It only had 1 set of collectible covers on the LEs. Nichijou had 2 sets of collectible covers (at least for vol 1).

It also only had one set of bonuses: To collect all the Lucky Star bonuses, beside the store specific bonuses, it required 12 volumes total, 1 of each.

To collect all the Nichijou bonuses, beside the store specific bonuses, it required buying 12 volumes of volume 1 alone. (Okay, it was closer to 6, but it was still some absurd number. The JP blogs basically predicted this was suicide and stopped caring so I have no idea how many copies of volume 2+ are needed.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
For Nichijou there is the LE covers and the RE covers

For Lucky Star there is the LE covers and the RE covers.

o_0 Unless I'm missing another release for Nichijou besides the LE and the RE?
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
For Nichijou there is the LE covers and the RE covers

For Lucky Star there is the LE covers and the RE covers.

o_0 Unless I'm missing another release for Nichijou besides the LE and the RE?

BD LE (Cover by Character Designer, Sleeve by mangaka)
BD RE (Cover by character designer, different image)
DVD LE(Cover by mangaka, Sleeve by Character Designer) [This is the same art as the BD, but swapped]
DVD RE (Cover by mangaka, different image)

4 different art in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
You're certain that the DVD RE isn't isn't simply swapped like the DVD LE?

It doesn't make sense for there to be different covers printed for the DVD RE. They're probably not even gonna make more than 100 copies of it. Nobody buys the DVD for KyoAni shows, let alone the RE o_0
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
maybe after watching it TV, enjoying it, but not seeing the replay value and then seeing all the different ways Kadokawa is trying to milk it, and being frustrated at having to choose between all these versions with trivial differences, people just said, "aw, fuk it, I'm spending my $1000+ on Dog Days and Hanasaku Iroha instead" (.. or insert any two 1 cour show) Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
Exactly, those shows are much more moe. Having Nana Mizuki and Yui Horie in one and Kanae Itou and Aki Toyosaki in the other sure didn't hurt either.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
It does seem that the reviews of those LEs are mainly complaining about the price/milking aspects, rather than the show itself.

But whatever the reason, it's a shame. Nichijou is one of my most favorite recent anime.
kitchiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You're certain that the DVD RE isn't isn't simply swapped like the DVD LE?

It doesn't make sense for there to be different covers printed for the DVD RE. They're probably not even gonna make more than 100 copies of it. Nobody buys the DVD for KyoAni shows, let alone the RE o_0
Sadly, that's the truth...... Many 2chers seemed to be very annoyed about the way that Kadokawa does their business for various reasons such as that. Actually, this has been built up for a long time; for instance, having Clannad BD-box that has ridiculous price tag, yet it was poorly made + had almost no special content/merits for being remake (Not all studios are like Shaft, sadly).

Nichijou had ridiculous amount of buff from Kadokawa - including big fat poster thing and railway station adv. That's why I consider Nichijou to be even bigger failure than R-15 or Itsuten, knowing its relative budget.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
In addition to being a BD/DVD release as opposed to DVD, Nichijou's release screamed milking the fanbase for all it's worth. Some of them probably said "It's not worth it" before they even started. Between 13 volumes, different covers on every single version of the release, special limited versions at shops with unique items that went beyond the normal store specific special bonuses, etc etc. There was nothing about that release that didn't scream desperation for sales from Kadokawa.

They did exactly the same with Kiddy GiRL-and release (other than the store bonuses to my knowledge, although I don't go looking for those since I can't get them easily)
The Regular and LE DVDs had different covers and so did the BDs. There were extras on the LE DVDs that weren't on the BDs and vice verse.
Lucky Star had two different sets of covers too, and I dare say they would have done something silly with the BDs if they had been released at the same time...

kitchiri wrote:
Sadly, that's the truth...... Many 2chers seemed to be very annoyed about the way that Kadokawa does their business for various reasons such as that. Actually, this has been built up for a long time; for instance, having Clannad BD-box that has ridiculous price tag, yet it was poorly made + had almost no special content/merits for being remake (Not all studios are like Shaft, sadly).

Clannad was Pony Canyon, not Kadokawa. The extras with the LE DVDs were great and the packaging was gorgeous, although I was annoyed that the art from the regular edition was not included.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised about Nichijo. It had its moments but for the most part it was a comedy that was completely unfunny for episodes at a time. That's a hard sell. It'd be like trying to sell a totally unromantic romance show or an action series with no actual action in it.

Phrases like, "lost in translation," pop up a lot but it looks like Japanese people didn't think too much of it either. It's a shame though, there was some slick animation all throughout it and the production values seemed really high. Hopefully this doesn't sour KyoAni and others on putting insane animation in comedies but rather that they should make sure the key genre elements are there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5