• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Touch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
You know a series must be good when reading spoilers in an article about it makes you feel a twinge! Very Happy I'll have to remember this one.

As a note, though- Short Program ran in Animerica Extra, not Manga Vizion. I've got some old issues of that with Short Program in my closet. (loved the one about the really tall guy and the gymnast. Wink )
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
You know a series must be good when reading spoilers in an article about it makes you feel a twinge! Very Happy I'll have to remember this one.

I went back and forth about telling about what happened to Kazuya. As it's such an important element in the characters' lives, it was really impossible to write about the series intelligently without it. For those that were upset, it happens at the 1/4 mark of the series (ep. 25) so it's still technically set-up. :p

Quote:
As a note, though- Short Program ran in Animerica Extra, not Manga Vizion. I've got some old issues of that with Short Program in my closet. (loved the one about the really tall guy and the gymnast. Wink )

Oops! Thanks for that. Fixing the article now.
nomp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Love Touch.

Touch was the series that brought me back to watching anime after I became so disgusted with the genre I walked away for a year+ after watching Love Hina.

Anything Adachi does is always enjoyable.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Forgive my anal-retention, but the creator of Peanuts is Charles Schulz, not Charles Schultz.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Forgive my anal-retention, but the creator of Peanuts is Charles Schulz, not Charles Schultz.

Whoops! Thanks. (Huh, never knew he spelled it like that.) Fixed. Hopefully that's the last glaring error.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
I've never read an Adachi manga I didn't enjoy - even his silly shoujo stuff is fun - but Touch is truly one of the all time classics. Good drama, wonderful wit, and engaging characters that actually grow over the course of the series. It really is a masterpiece, in my (not-so-humble) opinion. Smile
treatment

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm still hoping (against all odds) that Animeigo will have the balls to license and distribute this in R1-land.

btw, since I do have the live-action movie version of Touch, I can tell you this much about it.

The live-action version had emphasized the drama and romance more heavily than the TV-anime. It did not really have the awesome comedy of the TV-anime.

It's pretty ok and for once, the japanese actors/actresses actually CAN really act and put out a good anime-based movie. If you guys are a bit more interested about the live-action version, I blogged it last year. (with snapshots, too!) Very Happy
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It may be good but is it better than 'Maison Ikkoku'?
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice, one of my favorite series ever made. The writing was perfect and the art was very clean especially for the time it was made. I agree this show would be difficult to sell the average anime fan especially since these days slow paced romances aren't a popular genre, much less sports which is one of my favorite anime genres. I find myself looking to very old shows to find good anime, and I'm beginning to lose interest in recent anime and anime in general but gems like Touch will make sure I never stop being an anime fan.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
omg i love touch

i admit it i cried when kazuya died
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the city in which I live is slipping into a depression. Apparently the Yankees have lost in the first round of the playoffs, and their season is over. The Mets dropped off the map a few weeks ago.

Meanwhile my whole state is going apesh*t.

Anyway, this sounds like a wonderful series; I really want to check it out but the 101 episode count is going to make that a little difficult.
exedore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Anyway, this sounds like a wonderful series; I really want to check it out but the 101 episode count is going to make that a little difficult.

It's worth it. It's rare that I can find a series that will hold my attention for four episodes in a sitting these days, but when I started watching Touch I found myself going through 12 episodes at a time. it's unbelievably engaging, and (if you want to treat it in arcs), the first 26 episodes are some of my all time favourite anime. The bluntness that Adachi uses regarding the Tatsuya-Kazuya-PARENTS relationship astonished me at the time, and surprises most of the people I show the series to.
Talon87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
+1 for "Man! Why'd you have to go and spoil it?" Unlike many readers, I am in the weird position of never having watched Touch yet at the same time knowing of its existence: my roommate last year downloaded the fansubs and loved the show. And I know just from the questions I fielded him every now and then that the spoiler you generously handed out to ANN's readers doesn't happen any time "early on." Granted, Touch is a rather long series, but iirc the spoiler you mentioned doesn't even take place in the first 20-30 episodes.

On the other hand, I'm not too bent out of shape about the spoiler (though I can see how some might be; my condolences to the guy who just finished downloading it only to have it spoiled!). I'm one of those guys you mention in the article who just can't get over the animation style. Not that it's dated -- I've enjoyed my fair share of pre-1995 anime. The thing that gets me is that the two brothers are basically identical to the girl -- all you have to do is cut the girl's hair or let the boys' hair grow out and they'd become one another. When the characters look that similar, it's not so much that I find it boring as I find it annoying. Admittedly realistic, I suppose, but ... :\

Oh well. Your intentions were good, and I think you've done people a service even in spite of the spoiler by advertising this show. If even half of the people who post in this thread love it as much as my roommate did, I'd say your article will have been a knockout success. Good luck!
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
Granted, Touch is a rather long series, but iirc the spoiler you mentioned doesn't even take place in the first 20-30 episodes.

See above. Ep 25.

Talon87 wrote:
The thing that gets me is that the two brothers are basically identical to the girl -- all you have to do is cut the girl's hair or let the boys' hair grow out and they'd become one another. When the characters look that similar, it's not so much that I find it boring as I find it annoying. Admittedly realistic, I suppose, but ... :\

As I mention in the article, that changes over time. Minami gets curvier, Tatsuya gets more built. Quite realistic...
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow... The character design reminds me a lot of the original Captain Tsubasa series Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3