• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online Store (sales & rentals) Reviews/Feedbacks

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
The website is animeharu.com and looking around, I found other things that I would like for seemingly low prices, successfully arousing my suspicions. For example: the complete collection of Cardcaptor Sakura for $20 (NOT the aforementioned item).

They do seem to have some legitimate R1 DVDs, but all of the imports that I looked at were bootlegs.
Cardcaptor Sakura has 70 episode on 3 discs with no region codes. That is definitely a bootleg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

They do seem to have some legitimate R1 DVDs, but all of the imports that I looked at were bootlegs.
Cardcaptor Sakura has 70 episode on 3 discs with no region codes. That is definitely a bootleg.

So then the imported stuff might be bootlegs, but the domestic products might be legitimate? My roughly $10 item is definitely domestic and technically it's print, not a DVD, so either they'd have it or they wouldn't, right? I'm using my common sense to assume that there aren't any bootleg graphic novels and such.

If that's so, should I really be giving my money to a site that sells bootlegs, even if what I'm getting is legit? I'm not hyper-moralistic or anything, but I do want to support the industry (though I exactly won't be with this particular item, as it is out of print, I believe) and I doubt supporting bootleggers helps the anime economy.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I'm using my common sense to assume that there aren't any bootleg graphic novels and such.

I do not know of any.
There certainly are a lot of illegal scans on the Internet, but I have never heard of a printed bootleg. I think that even a cheap printing and binding job would still be too much work to be profitable.

Quote:
If that's so, should I really be giving my money to a site that sells bootlegs, even if what I'm getting is legit? I'm not hyper-moralistic or anything, but I do want to support the industry (though I exactly won't be with this particular item, as it is out of print, I believe) and I doubt supporting bootleggers helps the anime economy.

Well, if what you buy is legitimate then you are not supporting a bootlegger. You are supporting the site, but if you buy only legitimate items and no bootlegs that might encourage them to stop selling bootlegs. I am cynical enough to think that it probably would not work that way, but it could happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
willman0527

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I saw some post on people asking for advice about animebooks.com, so here is my opinion. They have a great collection of books English and Japanese that beats most stores. I first bought a Kusanagi studios book and was happy to find that it was in perfect condition. It seems to me that they keep their books in pristine original condition as my first book came in the un opened plastic. The prices are the best you can get online, every time I compared it to amazon/ebay/ect the price was 20-50$ more. After all that I recommend the store because of low prices and rare stocked items that you cant get easily for cheaper from somewhere else, and great shipping speeds.

in short

Laughing pros-
good shipping times * see edit
pristine condition
rare books
unbeatable prices

Crying or Very sad cons-
hard to get to customer service

Edit: Well I was very mistaken, I got my books on time since I selected priority mail and everything came in as is.

If you see something on the site jump on it before the prices shoot up. They still have the lowest prices around and I 100% fully back this store.
jenb1a

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
hello:

i found a new store called spacestationanime.com . has anyone ordered off of them? i have been looking for kyo kara moah season 2
i want to get the box set. yet, i am very tempted to get it.

jenb1a
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
Does anybody here know how Amazon handles preorders and supersaver shipping? Would they really hold everything until January if I went that route?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
@polycell
I've done orders on Amazon with stuff already out and pre-orders. They sent out the stuff they had and sent out the pre-order stuff when it came less than a month later. So even though the shipping dates were about 2 weeks apart, they didn't hold stuff and wait for the pre-order to come in.

And I believe the supersaver shipping has to do with how much you ordered. Looking back on my orders, I have one order that got shipped out in 4 parts, one of them was a single book far less than $25, but I wasn't charged separate shipping for it. I placed the order in August, one item was in and the rest were preorder, they shipped in early October, late October, and late December. Never got charged shipping even though they split it into 4.

My guess is if two things come out on the same day, they might wait for both of them to come in, but that's probably the only waiting they'd do. And when I got a rotten disc in a new set, they sent me a replacement set with one day shipping to me for free! And they credited my card on what I had spent on shipping to reimburse me for sending back the bad set (I went the slowest shipping method, they reimbursed the card I had used in the order btw)

So no, they'll probably send stuff to you as it becomes available, I highly doubt they'd hold it til January (unless you asked them). And if the price drops for pre-orders, you get whatever the lowest price was between the time you pre-ordered it and it coming out.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Ah good - I was planning on using some of my rewards points and not having to eat a shipping fee(I don't have the cash to buy anything else right now) makes the decision so much easier.
glitzqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
To add on about animeharu.com, I can tell you I actually did buy from them a little while back, and it was one of the worst experiences I've had online. I bought a keychain from them that other legit stores were also selling, so I know that item at least was a licensed anime product. They said it was in stock and ready to ship, but after 3 weeks they never shipped it or gave me an order update. I contacted their customer support a couple of times and never got a response. Eventually I just opened a Paypal dispute to get my money back. It was a headache.

On another note, I was curious to see if anyone has ordered from shonenswag.com or known someone who has.

It seems that Shonen Swag sells on both amazon and ebay as well as their site and have really great feedback there, but I was curious if anyone has bought directly off their site. I think I'd prefer to buy from their site since they have a free rewards program and stuff, but just wondered if the shopping experience might be different buying from their site than from their other e-commerce platforms.
manicli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I use TRSI mostly but I also get a fair bit, maybe 20% of my anime from http://www.importcds.com/ They have some of the best prices online but be warned, if your package comes in damaged or it never comes, good luck getting a refund or anything.

Their customer service really sucks but for the most part it is alright and their prices are pretty decent so I get my stuff from them a lot too and the best part is if you're in Canada, most of the time the shipments come in COD free! Very Happy
lotusblossom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Where can I sell my huge collection of DragonBall Z?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
eBay
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know if www.toyslogic,com is any good?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I bought some stuff from them at Anime Expo this year, and everything there was legit if that's what you're asking. I haven't used the website, so I'm not sure how the service is through there though.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Was seeing if the website was alright to buy from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 29