• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces New Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:19 am Reply with quote
Hey...Stand Alone Complex? That's kind of neat...
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:53 am Reply with quote
wow, i'm surprised to see they picked up Wolf's Rain. i don't know how well this is gonna work,Adult Swim's never shown a cartoon with so many bishounen(Yu Yu Hakusho so doesn't count).between the flaming nature of the characters, the excessive amount of recaps, and the really half assed ending it's gonna turn a lot of people off. look at the welcome Reign got.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RyoShin X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:06 am Reply with quote
You mean I have to start making sure to miss Home Movies AGAIN?!

Damn Science Court rejects.

I think of those three I'm most interested in Ghost In The Shell.

And new Birdman, YAY!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:09 am Reply with quote
That's Good news Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:06 am Reply with quote
v1cious: So Wolf's Rain is actually overhyped? Not surprised, considering it's from Watanabe and Bandai. Don't feel like paying for 52 eps of GITS that's closer to Shirow's manga when he can't even make one chapter worth reading. I'll stick to Innocence and hope that Oshii still has enough original ideas not to completely rip off Blade Runner.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
v1cious: So Wolf's Rain is actually overhyped? Not surprised, considering it's from Watanabe and Bandai. Don't feel like paying for 52 eps of GITS that's closer to Shirow's manga when he can't even make one chapter worth reading. I'll stick to Innocence and hope that Oshii still has enough original ideas not to completely rip off Blade Runner.

it's not so much it sucks, it just doesn't deliver.
it starts off good and then just starts going downhill. hopefully the OVA cloncludes the series better.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:46 am Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain!? X.X *falls over into temporary death brough on by a giant serge of happiness*

>.> Yeah, the ending didn't really deliver, but the anime was a great ride, and I'm still hoping those ova eps will make a better ending.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Actually, Watanabe had nothing to do with Wolf's Rain; that's BONES and Keiko Nobumoto's original work. Anyway hopefully there is nothing objectionable in this series, because I'm always skeptical of Cartoon Network with Anime (hell Sean Atkins doesn't even know the definiton of Anime and Manga).
uerar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote
RyoShin X wrote:
You mean I have to start making sure to miss Home Movies AGAIN?!

Damn Science Court rejects.

Bah! Home Movies is awesome!

Witch Hunter Robin will be cool too.
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I haven't seen all of those 3 titles yet, so I'm happy. I started all of them and never finished, so this will be my chance to complete them. I was kinda hoping for Ninja Scroll also, but this'll work.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:56 am Reply with quote
The shows mentioned are all well and good, although that does leave out some things. Ninja Scroll, Gundam SEED, and the like are all pushed back to 2005, if they air at all. (Don't bother saying Toonami, Bandai and Cartoon Network are done with airing even teen shows on Toonami. After Kenshin failed.)
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:34 am Reply with quote
I always wanted to see Wolf's Rain and Witch Hunter Robin.
I really don't know too much of Ghost in a Shell, is it good?
I was hoping they also showed Gundam Seed.
HisokaKillua

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:53 am Reply with quote
You would think that ninja scroll tv would be way too gory for toonami, maybe adult swim. And i thought wolf's rain was great, whats the news about the oavs
Pendragon2879

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:53 am Reply with quote
This is great! I love Home Movies because it is so hilarious, and I have heard good things about Wolf's Rain and Ghost In A Shell. The year 2004 is looking up. Wait a minute... Kenshin Failed? Do you mean to tell me, that they aren't going to air anymore episodes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, i'm surprised to see they picked up Wolf's Rain. i don't know how well this is gonna work,Adult Swim's never shown a cartoon with so many bishounen(Yu Yu Hakusho so doesn't count).between the flaming nature of the characters, the excessive amount of recaps, and the really half assed ending it's gonna turn a lot of people off. look at the welcome Reign got.

Did we see the same anime??

1) Adult Swim has never shown anything with so many bishounen?? Do you watch Inu-Yasha?? Tell me every single lead guy in that isn't bishounen *coughs* Sessho-maru *end coughs* And look at how popular that show is...

2) Where do you get the idea the characters are "flaming"?? Okay so Tsume wears leather.... its to make him look tough, not like one of the village people... I would go on with this rant and the relationships that develop within the show to furthur prove it isn't "flaming" but I don't want to ruin the story for people who haven't seen it yet. Just because its four guys and they are traveling together doesn't mean anything...

3)You can show "Wolf's Rain" without the recaps, they are not needed for the plot... so that sloves that problem.

4)The ending was not "half-assed" open ended yes, but thats because there are going to be four OVA's that will finish the series, but really I thought it has a dramatic... beautiful ending... once again, keeping my mouth shut..because I don't want any spoilers..

Okay end my fangirl rant....

But this is one of my favorite anime's and personally I have heard nothing but praise for it up to this point...with the expection of the annoyed grumbles when they showed the four recaps in a row...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3