• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hell's Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petran79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched Sans Famille in Japanese but in French ( I think it was even better than in Japanese) and I must say that I was impressed and I didn't find it slow paced at all. But I admit the bombardment of visual fx is quite heavy.

Dramatic moments are there but unless you are very young in age you'll hardly get depressed except in a couple of episodes. But it works in a cathartic sort of way. Most dramatic moments were in fact funny when watched by an adult.

But if you try to watch Perrine and Ie Naki no Remi then expect more drama.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I HATE the F&F series, especially TD. I never saw it but reviews said it focused on girls more than cars and I'm pretty sure I saw nitrous tanks in the back of one of the cars, which is NEVER allowed in drifting. Also, GT-R engine in a Charger = stupid. In fact I heard rumors it was Photoshopped in.
Plus, F&F's idea of racing involves the cars getting wrecked in various ways. Initial D only has like 2 or 3 wrecks (like when spoiler[Keisuke's FD's bumper is damaged during the race with the Evo team in 4th Stage] )
Not to mention that the TP dub turns Initial D into F&F: The Anime with its street speak and Americanized names. I know they are using the Japanese names for some characters (like Wataru) but hearing Takumi being called "Tak" just annoys me to no end. I think Levy should get fired for that abomination.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I HATE the F&F series, especially TD. I never saw it but reviews said it blahblah

Wait. Wait. You hate Tokyo Drift, but you've never seen it? Reading a review isn't the same thing as seeing a movie, fyi. Furthermore, it's definitely not grounds for hating a movie. That's just absurd.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I HATE the F&F series, especially TD. I never saw it but reviews said it focused on girls more than cars and I'm pretty sure I saw nitrous tanks in the back of one of the cars, which is NEVER allowed in drifting. Also, GT-R engine in a Charger = stupid. In fact I heard rumors it was Photoshopped in.
Plus, F&F's idea of racing involves the cars getting wrecked in various ways.

Since when did anyone watch those movies for realism??? I really had fun at the Tokyo Drift movie. It wasn't realistic... (Learning to drift in a 4WD Lancer Evo, then suddenly jumping in a whacked out rear-wheel Mustang and drifting in it with no problem? I don't think so...) but it was kinda cool anyway!! Sure it was all some sort of over-the-top masturbatory fantasy, but since when was there anything wrong with that? XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
People in the audience at my screening for TD were applauding when they upgraded the car. Laughing
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I HATE the F&F series, especially TD. I never saw it but reviews said it blahblah

Wait. Wait. You hate Tokyo Drift, but you've never seen it? Reading a review isn't the same thing as seeing a movie, fyi. Furthermore, it's definitely not grounds for hating a movie. That's just absurd.

Some people want you to buy movies blindly at $25ish a pop so....yeah. That's where reviews fall flat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I HATE the F&F series, especially TD. I never saw it but reviews said it focused on girls more than cars and I'm pretty sure I saw nitrous tanks in the back of one of the cars, which is NEVER allowed in drifting.

No offense, but generally with the F&F movies they're just pop it in and turn off your mind fun. I mean expecting realism out of them is really expecting too much.

So is Remi Hack//Sign slow, or Twelve Kingdoms slow?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I HATE the F&F series, especially TD. I never saw it but reviews said it focused on girls more than cars and I'm pretty sure I saw nitrous tanks in the back of one of the cars, which is NEVER allowed in drifting.

No offense, but generally with the F&F movies they're just pop it in and turn off your mind fun. I mean expecting realism out of them is really expecting too much.

So is Remi Hack//Sign slow, or Twelve Kingdoms slow?

I agree but I do find the heavy use of CG to a bit of a turn off. I'd much prefer to see the real cars doing real stunts. The worst case was the opening sequence to Too Fast Too Furious.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Some people want you to buy movies blindly at $25ish a pop so....yeah. That's where reviews fall flat.

Give it a rest already. You don't like paying for stuff. We get it.

I'm sure there will be another fansub thread before long where you can vent your spleen, spew your vitriol, mangle your prose and get outraged if people point out that you're a thief when you steal stuff - so there's really no need for you to derail this thread, is there?
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I'm sure there will be another fansub thread before long where you can vent your spleen, spew your vitriol, mangle your prose and get outraged if people point out that you're a thief when you steal stuff - so there's really no need for you to derail this thread, is there?

Nope, not since you've already done so.

I don't care for the F&F movies, but I'm not really into the "Cars! Speed! Fast stuff!" mentality, so that's expected. I appreciate that people can enjoy movies like that as mindless fun, and I found the 2nd F&F to do that, but the 3rd...just annoyed me more than anything else. (And yes, I have seen it.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3