• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Sailor Moon R: The Movie" uncut sub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Don't expect much from CN. Until anime can be aired on American TV without being butchered DVDs are our best friends. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:22 pm Reply with quote
uhhh...I don't think CN has *ever* shown a subbed anime.....

just like I highly doubt that the WB showed CCS subbed....companies believe that people don't want to watch things subtitled...hence why things GET dubbed in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:27 pm Reply with quote
That's what I was trying to say earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Dear animeuncut:

You are very, very nutty. None of what you say makes any sense in any form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Well said Lord Byronius.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:27 pm Reply with quote
anime uncut wrote:

Currently, it's not even slightly mature!
As for sub...
CN once aired "DragonballZ" and "Card Captor Sakura" (both rated 13+) this way.

I know in their ads, sometime ago, they had sound clips of the Japanese verison of World's Strongest, but only sound clips and it last for only 3 or 4 seconds. As CCS, I know Austriantion (sp) CN had CCS, but that becasue they don't have a WB in the Down Under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:38 pm Reply with quote
We're all saying the same thing: He's wrong.
anime uncut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:57 pm Reply with quote
What you all are saying is to your knowledge I am wrong, in other words, you can't poove it.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Everyone agrees but you. That's proof. Why would CN go through the trouble of editing a DBZ sub when FUNi already makes an edited DBZ dub? Why would CN even show a sub???
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:38 pm Reply with quote
anime uncut wrote:

It was the WB who aired the sub "CCS" in prime-time.
CN did air "DBZ" (or just Dagon Ball) in its sub version. (edited)

Ahm..

Having watched very nearly every episode of CardCaptors on WB during its initial run, as well as its second "season" and quite a number of repeat episodes inbetween, I can say that CCS most certainly did *not* air subtitled during regular broadcast hours. Although I don't watch WB "prime time" shows, I'm certain at least one or two of our readers do so regularly, and would have mentioned it, if such an event occurred.. we get quite a lot of mail about quite a number of different happenings, historically including schedule changes for Pokemon and Digimon, all the way through questions as to why Tenchi Muyo episode 7 ran longer than the other episodes (it's a longer episode, of course!) during the 2nd and 3rd reruns of the Tenchi Muyo OVAs.

We did not report on either event to the best of my knowledge. (Check our archives, if you wish).

Moreover, being in the anime news industry, had it occurred, we would've almost certainly heard about it before, or else soon after, it occurred. While we don't publish everything we receive, it would've been in our e-mail archives (I've kept every e-mail sent to ANN since Tempest and I took it over. This excludes spam, but I read every spam (to make sure that it's really spam) before deleting it. I have no fear of viruses, because I use a text-based e-mail client, not a HTML-based one.)

Additionally, Cartoon Network _removed_ song subtitles from the first Dragon Ball Z movie (even the dub VHS release has subtitles during Gohan's song). I'm not familiar with the Blue Sub #6 VHS release, but I suppose that the dubbed VHS tapes _had_ song subtitles too. I'd have to go check to make sure, but I don't believe BS#6's ending theme was subtitled on Toonami, either.

Outlaw Star's ending also had subtitles on the dub VHS releases, as I recall, but aired subtitle-less on Toonami. I'm not sure about the Adult Swim run - I don't watch or tape OS when it airs there, as my recorded VHS collection is starting to grow larger than I can handle.. however, I have no reason to believe that CN restored the subtitles for its AS re-broadcast.

Therefore, based on all these facts, I can state with near certainty that CCS has never been shown during "prime time" on WB, nor has it been shown subtitled, nor has DBZ ever seen even one subtitled word.

If you have evidence of such, please show us, as I would love to be proven wrong. Screenshots with the proper network logo and subtitles, another news site that mentioned it... or any of a number of other things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Stop Arguing.

You've all made your points, and unless one of your wants to call CN to ask if they ever aired the shows subbed, the discussion is over.

And personally, I'm not going to call.

Any more yes/no/yes/no ping pong and I'll lock this thread.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:43 pm Reply with quote
That good enough proof for you Anime Uncut?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Cgoten wrote:

That good enough proof for you Anime Uncut?

There's no need to kick sand in his face. "I told you so" is somewhat immature.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2