• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Rancher - would you buy It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
If I'm understanding this correctly, the entire series would be released on three sets? I'm even more inclined to buy it now!

Three sets, yes.

I don't know what the exact numbering is per season, but it would be something like:
S1: 25 eps.
S2: 25 eps.
S3: 23 eps.

And they would be brand new transfers from the Digi-Beta masters.
an.atticus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to pay about 30-40$ a set ideally, id be willing to to about 50-60$ maybe more, I've always wanted this series
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Here's another question:

Would you want any bonus features?

If you do, what kinds of bonus features would you like?
deskiejhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Have watched it when I was I kid so I won’t bother my self to buy a DVD copy aside from the fact that I’m not their fan I could have settled watch online for free..haha! Razz
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Monster Rancher? I can't believe there are others that remember it, or even know about it! I used to watch Monster Rancher when I was a kid and looked forward to watching it every weekend. I had the first DVD release by ADV too. If Monster Rancher gets released, I'd say yes, I would buy it, but I have to catch up with some other anime first. Dang, anime can get expensive. Anime dazed
Amano Ginji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. I was just thinking that I never saw the end of this show. Weird Coincidence.

I think I would buy it. Especially at the price/format you're talking about. I still think the entire concept is really cool.

I keep meaning to pick up one of the games too. I thought the cd system was awesome when I was a kid.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
I've been in the market for some of the hand held games for this series for a while now; if I'm not mistaken, they use a similar system to the CD data collection algorithm, but with random character sets. That CD system was so innovative!
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
Amano Ginji wrote:
I keep meaning to pick up one of the games too. I thought the cd system was awesome when I was a kid.

Same with me!

My brother and I happened to get Monster Rancher 2 when our dad bought us a PS2, and it was awesome!
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
Let me ask a couple new questions now:

If a "new" episode would air weekly on Hulu, starting from the release of the first DVD set, would you buy the DVD sets or watch it online?

And would this make you want to buy only the first season, and finish watching it on Hulu, or would you still buy the whole series?

(To clarify, one new episode would be available each week, and the entire series would end up being available. If you didn't want to wait, you'd have to buy the DVD set to finish the series quicker.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
Well I honestly tend to marathon shows, especially shonen shows. I like to watch like 7 or 8 eps at a time and depending on the length of a show, finish it within a week or so having a few marathons sessions, preferably on back to back days. I actually don't tend to watch shows until they've completed airing unless the show is entirely episodic.

I'd simply be more likely to buy it just because of the convenience of having DVDs and not having ads in the middle of the episode, even if the entire thing is up online. Though streaming would be great for people who have never seen the show or heard of it (maybe they became more recent anime fans or something). Maybe after it's been out for a while, like a fair enough time to give for people to finish the series, then perhaps it could be cut down to 4 or 5 episodes online where you'd then have to buy the DVDs to see the rest, I've seen quite a few series do that online. Or maybe rotate out the seasons, I think hulu rotates episodes for Firefly while always having the pilot up. For me, I tend to get distracted on the internets, so watching online is usually what I only do if I really have no other options. I actually did do this already with Mysterious Cities of Gold, I watched maybe around 12 episodes online and ended up just buying the DVD set for my convenience (y'know, before it went OOP), even though all the episodes were up on hulu.

Still not sure if this would make me get the whole thing or just the first season, the first season itself and how much I like it will determine that. If I like it, I'll get the rest of the DVDs. If I think it's so-so because nostalgia failed me, then I'd be more likely to only buy the first season and maybe watch it online.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I am on a slow Internet connection myself, so DVD is often a better option, but if Hulu is available I would certainly look at watching it online. We are only talking a legitimate, licensed release of it on Hulu, correct? Not at all trying to be rude of course!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Just give me it all on DVD as it aired on Fox Kids and I'll be happy.

Oh and if you could get cracking on 'mankin' and Ultimate Muscle, that'd be awesome too.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
To be quite honest, I don't think I'd buy Monster Rancher on DVD. I watched it, I liked it, but I don't have ant great nostalgia pangs for it. Techincally, I have like 8 episodes on DVD anyway. I bought a disc at the dollar store- on clearance for 50 cents- a couple years ago. Haven't watched it yet.

Now, if you got Mon Colle Knights out for $30ish for a 26 episode chunk, I'd be all over that. Or any reasonably priced re-released of Ronin Warriors.

(I personally try not to think of hypotheticals like this too much... they make me want things I can't have.)
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I certainly have to agree with Ronin Warriors as well; that's a rerelease I would look forwards to, though I am on board for Monster Rancher.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused on how you'd make an uncut Monster Rancher release. The English dub was edited, and thus just laying it over the Japanese video will result in problems (with scenes that weren't dubbed). You could use branching, but that hurts image quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5