• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Am I alone, or what? [Basis of Fanboyism]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:16 am Reply with quote
I find this sad, but there are some anime series that have become the basis of newschool fanboyism.

Has it occured to you, lately?
Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Mods, peace!

[EDIT - Topic adjusted to fit content. -C]
JDINGBAT1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:21 am Reply with quote
[/quote]I find this sad, but there are some anime series that have become the basis of newschool fanboyism.

Whats Fanboyism??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
LordShishio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whats Fanboyism??

Sounds like a religion worshipped by Fanboys.
Sorry for stating the obvious.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Worshipping fanservice, panties, and b00bi3z. (Redundant, but true) It's anime like that that garner me strange looks when I go through the anime section at the store. I've got GITS in hand, but people look at me like I rented "Colorful."
Annoying, to say the least (or most.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Abyss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I always though fanboy's refered to someone to will follow a certain product (brand name, TV series, movie, Ect.) blindly and hate everything else simply based on the fact that it not the persons favorite product. I.E. Someone who loves the Playstation 2 and is constantly saying how much better it is then the X-box without ever even giving the X-box a try. Simply disliking it becuase it is not a PS2.

As far as for what Koumi addict is talking about, I think (could be wrong) he is saying that there are people who love newer anime and will not watch anything older simply becuase it is old. People who will never watch Macross or the Hardlock Saga simply because it "looks old." These are the same people who will not ever watch movies like Citizen Kane because it is in black and white.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
Abyss wrote:
As far as for what Koumi addict is talking about, I think (could be wrong) he is saying that there are people who love newer anime and will not watch anything older simply becuase it is old. People who will never watch Macross or the Hardlock Saga simply because it "looks old." These are the same people who will not ever watch movies like Citizen Kane because it is in black and white.

That pisses me off to NO end. Mobile Suit Gundam and Lupin III Part 2 (both excellent shows, IMO) utterly failed in the ratings because they're older shows, and I'm afraid Zeta would be doomed to the same fate given a TV run. Just goes to show how shallow most fans are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:38 am Reply with quote
Truth to be told, I've heard the case of newschool gundam fanboys, proclaiming that "Sunrise invented the super mecha anime" or "Gundams are the 1st-ever super mecha anime series 'cos they're the only ones known."

Fact: Mazinger Z, a creation of Go Nagai, is the 1st-ever super mecha anime series.

Yes, I do agree the fact that Sunrise is the only one left making super mecha anime, it was TOEI Animation/Go Nagai started the super mecha anime genre.

P.S.: If I stated something wrong here, please feel free to correct me.
hellsing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:41 am Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Worshipping fanservice, panties, and b00bi3z. (Redundant, but true) It's anime like that that garner me strange looks when I go through the anime section at the store. I've got GITS in hand, but people look at me like I rented "Colorful."
Annoying, to say the least (or most.)

I own that movie funny as crap but yeah its fanboyism. Smile
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:56 am Reply with quote
Abyss wrote:
I always though fanboy's refered to someone to will follow a certain product (brand name, TV series, movie, Ect.) blindly and hate everything else simply based on the fact that it not the persons favorite product. I.E. Someone who loves the Playstation 2 and is constantly saying how much better it is then the X-box without ever even giving the X-box a try. Simply disliking it becuase it is not a PS2.

You got one of the main ideas.

I've also observed that super mecha anime fanboys only care for ZOIDS and Gundams.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Koumi addict wrote:

I've also observed that super mecha anime fanboys only care for ZOIDS and Gundams.

That's because Eva and RahXephon can't hold their ridiculously short attention spans long enough. Laughing These kind of fanboys we're talking about are probably also the ones that say, "DBZ/Yu-Gi-Oh/Beyblades (in descending order) are the COOLEST and if you don't like them you're a &*(%&%! and don't know what you're talking about! Mom, where are my chocolate frosted sugar bombs?" Such conversations have me rolling with Excel Saga-like laughter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I can throw myself in this category. If you see my room, with all the anime posters, Figures, and all.
Plus my desk at work sports a Noir, Bebop, and FMP poster, and the Shrine to the Skyline (a little obsessive? Maybe Wink )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1