• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eric P. Sherman, President of Bang Zoom! Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calawain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
calawain wrote:

Quote:

I would have rephrased and asked something along the lines of "Speaking of the health of the industry, we have more and more fans, but DVD sales are going down. A couple of the major concerns that arise from this fact are how the industry can adapt to the digital age as well as combat rampant bootlegging. For the industry in general, and specifically for studios such as your own, what are some measures you believe should be taken to ensure the future health and survival of the anime industry?"

Just from a quick neutral reading, and saying the question you posed and the original question both seem fairly innocuous, one could point out your question 'leads-by-intent' as much as you were accusing of in the original question.

While I can't say one way or another if the industry is in dire straights, to say 'we have more and more fans, but DVD sales are going down' seems a high degree of an intentional 'soft pedal'. And to address fansubbing with the only the very passive 'how the industry can adapt to the digital age' is very much placing the issue by way of inference in the 'well, it's your own fault anime companies' camp.

Again, thats not to say your proposed question was bad, it just clearly inferred a point of view as much as (supposedly; I thought the interview question was fairly straight-forward/neutral) the question you were attacking.

And I would disagree with that reading. I view "combating bootlegs" and "adapting to the digital age" as the major concerns of the industry, they need to do some form of both to really prosper. I didn't lead the answer anywhere aside from discussing solutions rather than merely the existence of a problem.

Edit: spelling error
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
The "pro-moe" promote shows that are mean-spirited, and not much else but the eye-candy.

Mean-spirited shows? What shows would you describe as mean-spirited? I would suppose something like School Days qualifies, but I wouldn't think of it as moe (except via the association the category of its source material sometimes has with the concept).
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
calwain:

Quote:
I view "combating bootlegs" and "adapting to the digital age" as the major concerns of the industry, they need to do some form of both to really prosper. I didn't lead the answer anywhere aside from discussing solutions rather than merely the existence of a problem.

Up top, this is just a very 'technical' take looking at your question/phrasing in the same light as you were criticizing the original question. No serious disagreement/argument is implied.

You came out of the box pretty strong against the fansub question, generally expressing the sentiment that anyone with common sense could realize the current situation is a problem and it didn't need to be asked, the interviewer just wanted a pro-bias 'soapbox' point, and that it was unprofessional. However, from just a precursory review of the many fansub back-and-forths on here (as well as around the net), you'll often see many people disputing the general question of fansubs having a negative impact, or that industry insiders ever really point it out. So having an industry rep reiterate/elaborate the point would seem to suit a reasonable purpose, and though it may seem self-evident as to the overall point/question, the world doesn't run on common sense and some things need to be put out in plain view. Your generally hostility (I believe you called it 'a joke') made it seem you were defensive about the whole fansub issue, and I think it was in that vein the interviewer looked at/questioned your reply.

If we go from the perceived defensive towards fansubs, just as you made remarks inferring what you considered the interviewers perceived 'anti-fansub' bias', we can see a 'shading' in how you address the issue. On the first I think there was some 'soft-pedaling' in pegging a problem as 'DVD sales are down' which seems to have an air of understatement, but one can reasonably parse hairs there. The real meat start when you address bootlegs in the very straightforward, active tense of 'combating bootlegs'. You call the issue by name directly, and use the term 'combat', which directly implies a situation outside the scope of what should be, and is best actively engaged in a punitive manner by licensor's.

When we get to fansubs however, you don't address the issue by name, and employ the very passive 'adapt to the digital age', implying that any problem in this area is caused by licensor's 'behind the time ways', and is certainly not at all to be looked at in a fansub/downloader punitive manner. It's like if you and I shared an apartment and one day I ate your pizza out of the fridge, and when questioned by you responded 'I think you need to adapt to changing circumstances'. It's a turn of phrase to lay the blame at your feet, and with your earlier testiness on bringing up fansubs, when applied to your question it seems a rhetoric device to lay any blame/responsibility for the fansub situation at the feet of licensor's themselves. So in the same vein as you accused the interviewer of letting a perceived bias air out, one can read into the tea- leaves of your phrase choices and make the case your question did the same thing. You can state the case I'm reading into what you wrote, but the interviewer can say the same thing about your statements to him.

As I said, this is basically a 'much to-do about nothing' kind of thing and made to illustrate a point, not carry any serious argument. I also share your interest for hearing about what the industry hopes to move into distribution-wise in the future, and what the hurdles are. But as a sliver of a point, as someone who works in political research/polling and has to listen to folks complain about bias and skewering while often returning clearly biased suggestion (IE. "Why does this say is Party X 'unfocused' on the issue? It should say is Party X evil, or just stupid, that would be fair. Your clearly biased toward X"), perhaps it's generally more constructive to bring up what you wish to hear addressed in the future, rather then inferring the person is biased and asks 'loaded' questions. Again, no big argument here, just a technical point of view.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Good interview.

Richard J. wrote:
I'm extremely happy to hear that BangZoom's continuing their work on Rozen Maiden and When They Cry. RM's one of my personal favorites and I desperately want to hear more, like Megu's voice, Kanaria's fight scenes, and the last battle in the Alice Game.

Quoted for truth. Me too!

With a completed dub hopefully that would mean it would be more attractive to be released. Which hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

That news also made me very happy!

It also got me thinking....

Hey Bang Zoom! How would you guys like to get your feet wet in the distribution game? Those three titles wouldn't be a bad start. Who knows? It might be the catalyst that eventually leads your company into becoming a licensing, distributing, and in-house dubbing powerhouse!

Pie-in-the-sky thinking?......Yes. I just can't help myself. Smile
calawain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
You came out of the box pretty strong against the fansub question, generally expressing the sentiment that anyone with common sense could realize the current situation is a problem and it didn't need to be asked, the interviewer just wanted a pro-bias 'soapbox' point, and that it was unprofessional. However, from just a precursory review of the many fansub back-and-forths on here (as well as around the net), you'll often see many people disputing the general question of fansubs having a negative impact, or that industry insiders ever really point it out. So having an industry rep reiterate/elaborate the point would seem to suit a reasonable purpose, and though it may seem self-evident as to the overall point/question, the world doesn't run on common sense and some things need to be put out in plain view. Your generally hostility (I believe you called it 'a joke') made it seem you were defensive about the whole fansub issue, and I think it was in that vein the interviewer looked at/questioned your reply.

Well I try to avoid reading the various 20 page threads on the pros and cons of fansubbing on these boards. The fact that there are people who claim not to see some sort of problem just doesn't make much sense to me. There's obviously a problem even if some folks try to deny it, and I really didn't think that asking whether or not there is a problem is a question that really warrants asking in my personal opinion.

Goodpenguin wrote:
If we go from the perceived defensive towards fansubs, just as you made remarks inferring what you considered the interviewers perceived 'anti-fansub' bias', we can see a 'shading' in how you address the issue. On the first I think there was some 'soft-pedaling' in pegging a problem as 'DVD sales are down' which seems to have an air of understatement, but one can reasonably parse hairs there. The real meat start when you address bootlegs in the very straightforward, active tense of 'combating bootlegs'. You call the issue by name directly, and use the term 'combat', which directly implies a situation outside the scope of what should be, and is best actively engaged in a punitive manner by licensor's.

The beginning part of my question was pulled word for word from the original question, I wasn't trying to rewrite the question entirely, but merely rephrase the part I found loaded. Specifically, it was intended specifically to get the interviewee to say something. An interview isn't a deposition or a witness examination, my idea of a question is one more open ended and encourages answers that everyone doesn't already know the answer to. And the reason I refer to "combating" bootlegging is because that's the obvious solution, there isn't even room for the smallest shrivel of debate on the fact that instead of buying the dvd from the store from the licensor you are buying it from some random guy who copied it and is making a profit. The solution is pretty obviously some sort of legal action or crackdown, but the question is how best to go about it.

Goodpenguin wrote:
When we get to fansubs however, you don't address the issue by name, and employ the very passive 'adapt to the digital age', implying that any problem in this area is caused by licensor's 'behind the time ways', and is certainly not at all to be looked at in a fansub/downloader punitive manner. It's like if you and I shared an apartment and one day I ate your pizza out of the fridge, and when questioned by you responded 'I think you need to adapt to changing circumstances'. It's a turn of phrase to lay the blame at your feet, and with your earlier testiness on bringing up fansubs, when applied to your question it seems a rhetoric device to lay any blame/responsibility for the fansub situation at the feet of licensor's themselves. So in the same vein as you accused the interviewer of letting a perceived bias air out, one can read into the tea- leaves of your phrase choices and make the case your question did the same thing. You can state the case I'm reading into what you wrote, but the interviewer can say the same thing about your statements to him.

I feel that I phrased it once again to address the issue. As I stated before, people love to have moral debates on fansbus that really will convince nobody to change their minds. Beating a dead horse is really an appropriate term for them, they accomplish little. And adapting to the digital age is exactly the direction that things need to be looked at. The reason is that the anime industry is having the same problems that plague the music and movie industry. While the movie industry has in large part made strong moves to adapt, the music industry has not, and is faltering as a result. So in effect the anime industry is "behind the times" and since no solution can be brought from berating fans with morality the solution obviously lies with the industry. I'm not changing the blame, I think those that download fansubs are at some level at fault in the aggregate, but I also think the blame can be laid at the companies right now for their lack of solutions. We live in capitalism, the system works when the industry adapts.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
He said that the fanbase was increasing, yet sales were decreasing. Yes, fansubs promote a show, but popularity alone doesn't make a company money. It strokes egos for the creators and producers, but doesn't put food on the table. Sales do.

The fanbase is increasing because a bunch of kids with no money are watching anime on tv for (essentially) free. It has nothing to do with fansubs one way or the other. The kids can't afford to buy dvds period. We've had company reps tell us just that. They're more interested in the culture of the show and cosplaying than they are in buying discs. That's the nature of the casual fan, which is where the growth in the fanbase is at it's greatest. There is NO proof that fansubs either help or hurt the industry. It's all conjecture.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Then again, at least with anime on TV, companies are getting paid for the airing, and TV networks will reward its popularity by purchasing more shows from distributors, and even by commissioning new episodes [see Big O II and Cartoon Network].

Anyhoo, getting things back on topic, I for one really do hope Bang Zoom is doing Tweeny Witches, and look forward to their work for MB and Bandai [I also just got Tokko, so hooray for that Smile]
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mean-spirited shows? What shows would you describe as mean-spirited? I would suppose something like School Days qualifies, but I wouldn't think of it as moe (except via the association the category of its source material sometimes has with the concept).

Maybe it's because too much attention is paid to the cute girls to notice that these shows are mean-spirited. Or; when they see some poor guy get his butt kicked repeatedly, or too much bad luck falls upon said guy, that it's considered slapstick comedy rather than a painful sight.

I have the list:

Clannad, Lucky*Star, Girls Bravo, Haruhi's Melancholy, Combat Butler Hayate, Mahoraba, Maburaho, Black Lagoon, Night Wizard, Shakugan No Shana, Dokuro-chan, to a certain extent Gundam SEED Destiny and Mai-ZHime, Magikano, xxxHOLiC, Inukami, Zero no Tsukaima, Nagasarete Airantou, Love Hina... All the way on down to Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. And I'm sure there's more.

There were times when I nearly wrote the whole Japanese anime industry, and their fanbase, as failed experiments; standing far and away from those who readily defend these shows. Because I was once just like them when I was in my 20s. I nearly became them.

If it weren't for companies like Gonzo... If it weren't for "that shounen s### that 4channelers hate so much..." If it weren't for hentai anime... Then I would've gone into an entirely different hobby.

Last edited by Tyrenol on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rin Tohsaka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Maybe it's because too much attention is paid to the cute girls to notice that these shows are mean-spirited. Or; when they see some poor guy get his butt kicked repeatedly, or too much bad luck falls upon said guy, that it's considered slapstick comedy rather than a painful sight.

I have the list:

Clannad, Lucky*Star, Girls Bravo, Haruhi's Melancholy, Combat Butler Hayate, Mahoraba, Maburaho, Black Lagoon, Night Wizard, Shakugan No Shana, Dokuro-chan, to a certain extent Gundam SEED Destiny and Mai-ZHime, Magikano, xxxHOLiC, Inukami, Zero no Tsukaima, Nagasarete Airantou... All the way on down to Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. And I'm sure there's more.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here; are you saying that these shows seem to promote some sort of misandry?
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Rin Tohsaka wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here; are you saying that these shows seem to promote some sort of misandry?

Yes.

I've been asking this question: "Even, and especially, when your opponent is a woman; since when is it okay to not fight back?"

Since when is it okay for a guy in anime to be either weak or nonexistant? Even thought shows like that are geared toward them? Sure, they're popular. But what about the consequences down the road? Isn't anybody not concerned enough to do something about it?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Of all the things anime has been accused of, I think this is the first time I've heard that it's full of man-hate. And I own several of the shows on that list. Wow, I guess I'm a self-loathing misandry man. Rolling Eyes

Isn't one of the common complaints about moe series that they're mysogynistic and full of women who are men's fantasy girls? These series can't be be full of both misandry and mysogyny.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since when is it okay for a guy in anime to be either weak or nonexistant? Even thought shows like that are geared toward them? Sure, they're popular. But what about the consequences down the road? Isn't anybody not concerned enough to do something about it?

I won't deny there are the few odd series that seem to carry some peculiar undertones, however I was more under the impression the classic 'wet blanket' male lead design, from Tenchi Muyo to Love Hina to...ad infinitum, was simply a narrative device.

This may sound somewhat silly, but when writers are crafting these 'harem' (used loosely) type shows, they understand the big draw will be the girls (and the feelings they elicit in the audience), so they have to avoid having their audience 'put off/feel jealous' by the romance/lead. If the lead is a strong-willed, macho character who has lots of 'success' with multiple hot ladies, it's most likely good parts of the audience will see the lead as a jerk and simply not get invested in the story/show. However, if the lead is something of a hapless squish with an empty slate personality, the character is easy to feel sorry for, to conversely 'root for', and a viewer can project their own feelings onto the action/lead without ever feeling 'shown up' or even 'jealous' of a leads eventual romantic success.

A lot of time this 'Zero-cum-Hero' approach by nature has the male lead taking innumerable poundings from the female characters, but again I think it's less about 'misanthropy' and more about making the viewer sympathize/feel superior with the lead rather then being put off by romantic success with the girls the creators want the viewer to be interested in for XX episodes.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Isn't one of the common complaints about moe series that they're mysogynistic and full of women who are men's fantasy girls? These series can't be be full of both misandry and mysogyny.

Sure they can. If men are villified for being weak or ignorant or whatever other negative qualities they have, then the women who support them despite it (lowering themselves in the process) can be villified for encouraging such behavior.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
I won't deny there are the few odd series that seem to carry some peculiar undertones, however I was more under the impression the classic 'wet blanket' male lead design, from Tenchi Muyo to Love Hina to...ad infinitum, was simply a narrative device.

This may sound somewhat silly, but when writers are crafting these 'harem' (used loosely) type shows, they understand the big draw will be the girls (and the feelings they elicit in the audience), so they have to avoid having their audience 'put off/feel jealous' by the romance/lead. If the lead is a strong-willed, macho character who has lots of 'success' with multiple hot ladies, it's most likely good parts of the audience will see the lead as a jerk and simply not get invested in the story/show. However, if the lead is something of a hapless squish with an empty slate personality, the character is easy to feel sorry for, to conversely 'root for', and a viewer can project their own feelings onto the action/lead without ever feeling 'shown up' or even 'jealous' of a leads eventual romantic success.

A lot of time this 'Zero-cum-Hero' approach by nature has the male lead taking innumerable poundings from the female characters, but again I think it's less about 'misanthropy' and more about making the viewer sympathize/feel superior with the lead rather then being put off by romantic success with the girls the creators want the viewer to be interested in for XX episodes.

For those of us who had watched anime longer, this "narrative device" gets old very quick.

Adding "Love Hina" to the list; the top of the list. I hated that show so much that I had to watch the hentai anime series Shusaku Replay and Isaku Respect. In fact, this "pigeon hole" type of narrative device is the reason I'm not a big fan of "romantic comedy" anime.

What about El Hazard TV series or Ai Yori Aoshi? All this negative feedback I've heard from these shows because the male leads aren't punching bags and they succeeded in winning A woman's heart and sticking with it?

Or maybe I should just quit and stick to putting my money and effort on adult anime since, at least, there's usually no reason to feel sad for the male lead.
calawain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I have the list:

Clannad, Lucky*Star, Girls Bravo, Haruhi's Melancholy, Combat Butler Hayate, Mahoraba, Maburaho, Black Lagoon, Night Wizard, Shakugan No Shana, Dokuro-chan, to a certain extent Gundam SEED Destiny and Mai-ZHime, Magikano, xxxHOLiC, Inukami, Zero no Tsukaima, Nagasarete Airantou... All the way on down to Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. And I'm sure there's more.

There were times when I nearly wrote the whole Japanese anime industry, and their fanbase, as failed experiments; standing far and away from those who readily defend these shows. Because I was once just like them when I was in my 20s. I nearly became them.

If it weren't for companies like Gonzo... If it weren't for "that shounen s### that 4channelers hate so much..." If it weren't for hentai anime... Then I would've gone into an entirely different hobby.

Um, I will dispute a couple of those shows. Clannad- spoiler[first off Sunohara is always fighting back against Tomoyo, regardless of whether or not she is a girl. And Tomoya doesn't sit there and get trampled all over either, he dodges Kyou's occasional book and gets back at her with jokes and pranks.]

Lucky Star- there are like two males, neither of which I would say is weak. In fact, spoiler[Shiraishi goes berserk and nearly attacks his LC partner while destroying the set near the end of she series.] I really fail to see how Konata's father is weak either.

Hayate no Gotoku- I'm not sure how his character is man hating, he's quite courageous and constantly puts himself in danger to protect Nagi and anyone else he feels is in danger. I feel he is an extremely strong willed character.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- There are plenty of instances where Kyon stands up to Haruhi, even if it's not necessarily in an overly forceful manner, he is more subtle. spoiler[On several occasions he stops Haruhi from continuing her torture of Mikuru, saves the world on several occasions including convincing Haruhi to not continue the baseball tournament and in the final broadcast order episode where he convinces Haruhi to return the world to the way it was.]

And that's only the first handful of show, many on your list I would hardly call man-hating, although I admit not to have seen some of them. While there is some weak male leads out there, they hardly predominate the genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6