• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga in the Libraries

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if people have started to see more manga be available in libraries(city, county, school) across North America?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
In the "big" city one has Battle Angle, Ranma ½, Guyver, Sailor Moon, as well as others. I don't know about the High School one because it's been ages since I been in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BrianC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The local library where I live has some Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind manga(first three volumes, perfect collection), the first voulme of the Ah! My Goddess graphic novels(they actually use the other name, but I like this name better.) called 1-555-Goddess(which I have checked out right now), some Sailor Moon manga(I think), some Star Wars manga, and some Pokémon manga. I think there may be more, but I'm not sure.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Some Ranma 1/2 here
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Lessee...we have more or less a "chain" of libraries strung throughout the county, and I've lost track of what library has what stuff. I *heart* their new integrated online system. Stuff I remember-
-2 sets of the Nausicaa Perfect Collection
random volumes of-
-Ranma 1/2
-Marmalade Boy
-Fushigi Yugi
-Peach Girl
-Sailor Moon
-Astro Boy
-Star Wars
-Pokemon
-Clover
-Magic Knight Rayearth 1 & 6
Other stuff that I know I'm forgetting.
Aurora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Nothing. I'm so anime/manga deprived...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Here locally I have found at the public library the following:dragon ball,sailor moon, Ranma 1/2 and mars for a grand total of 11 manga. More coming they say!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tamashi

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:00 pm Reply with quote
here in missisuaga they have ranma 1/2. and in chapters(well, it's not a library but you can read books for free)
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:36 pm Reply with quote
My public library has about the same titles plus they have three Lone Wolf and Cub. It's lousy titles and random volumes.

Recently I was at the library searching for something and I saw a librarian hand an 11 yr old boy a copy of Ranma. I informed her that it was a little mature for him. She said she knew already but they were all checked out of DragonBall Z and this is all she had for him.

Hence, I decided to donate a couple titles to the library. I already gave them two Shaolin Sisters and will be getting Kare Kano as soon as I get paid. I had heard of anime clubs doing it for some libraries and thought that was the coolest idea. My sister thought I was nuts though.
Zenitram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I never thought manga in my library untill I found Gundam: The Last Out Post Volume 2 just sitting there (but I already have all three volumes). So I went through the catalog and I guess the Ranma graphic novels, one movie, and DBZ movies are there so I searched all over for any manga and found nothing. I guess it was all out. Sad
jasminetea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:39 pm Reply with quote
There was...

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind (6 the last volume only)
Evagelion
Dragon Ball
Fushigi Yugi
Gundam Wing (ground zero or something)

And they were in the teen section... whatever
Yuki555

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:30 am Reply with quote
I've only recently discovered Ah! My Goddess at my local library, but that was all they had. Funny thing was, I wasn't looking for manga but was looking for book on my Summer Reading List for school. Guess it was fate *shrugs* Razz
Malroth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:43 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm workin on it.... So far have managed to convince my boss to get in here:

Lone Wolf and Cub
Angelic Layer
Dragonball/Dragonball Z
Nausicaa
Peach Girl
Gundam
Sailor Moon
Juline
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Spirited Away

Know I'm forgetting a few...hopefully that grant will come through...
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey Malroth

So, you work in a library? That's cool. I heard you had to have a college diploma to be an official librarian.

Anyhow, can't people get manga from other libraries to borrow? I've borrowed stuff from from libraries in other towns before. They mailed them to my small town library. I guess that would apply to anybody's town, right?
Moon_Aura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I love my library. Anime smile That doesn't mean it has a lot of manga- I loved it before then. But, it does have some- I was soooooooo happy when I walked into the library one day, and there was a bunch of.... manga!
My library has:

Magic Knight Rayearth volumes 1-6
Nausicaa Perfect Collection vol. 1-4
Fushigi Yugi vol. 1, 3, 7
Inuyasha vol. 1-13
Ranma vol. 1-21
Cardcaptor Sakura/Master of the Clow (?)
Dragonball/Z (?)
Gundam Wing (?)

That's all I can remember. If our lovely -_- library catalog was working- like the pretty blue letters say, "Our new web catalog (iPac) is now operational!" (Yeah.....) I would be able to put more books up. (Maybe.) And, that's just the library I go to- I don't know if some of the bigger libraries in my county have more or not. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3