• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - ShopTales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RZetlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Have they found a new location yet? Silver Snail on Queen Street announced that they will pack up a few months ago.

Silver Snail haven't moved yet.

I think they posted they will move to their new location in February 2012.

----------------------

Another point about AnimeXtreme: There is about 2 to 3 months delay in their shipment. I see them only getting the July and August release of Newtype and Megami magazines.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
I didn't really care for the so-called anime stores that were in my town, but thinking how it was for me in the very beginning, I pretty much had to go the mail-order route anyway. I don't expect anyone to carry what I want anyway (which isn't mainstream enough for even anime fans).
ladystarstorm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime Crash was actually a chain (there was a store in Harvard Square, IIRC in the same building as Man from Atlantis/Tokyo Kid).

My dad used to take me here when I was like 10-12! When I first started getting into anime. AnimeCrash was actually upstairs from Million Year Picnic; I believe there's a print shop or something there now. This is back when Tokyo Kid was in the different storefront in the Garage, too.

I am severely saddened that Tokyo Kid is going to be leaving us at the end of this year, because it's the only Boston metro area anime store left. Sad

However at the same time, I can't lie - They weren't exactly doing much to stay competitive. The only stock that ever seemed to rotate was their ever-diminishing manga selection, and the single-volume DVDs on the back wall, which... does anyone buy single-volume DVDs anymore? If they're on clearance maybe, but let's face it - No one is going to spend $29.99 on one volume of anime in an age where boxsets go from $29.99 - $59.99 for complete seasons, or in some cases complete series sets! If they did have boxsets, they should have been out where people would be prone to impulse-buy... In the internet age, when people know exactly what they are looking for, 9 out of 10 times they order online, because it's cheaper and they can track down exactly what they need. To keep a brick & mortar shop running, you have to bank on the people coming in with pocket money to browse for something that simply catches their eye, something they maybe didn't know was out yet, or never heard of before.

I think if the store had realized this sooner, and realized that the majority of their stock was years-old and stale as hell, they could have had some kind of clearance sale to get SOME profit coming in (less is better than none), and could have put it towards new product to keep people coming back.

I'm not a business expert or anything though, so this is really just based on otaku-consumerand my observations of the shop (and other stores, really) through the years. I'm not bashing them either - but I think things could have been done to save it, is all.

Quote:
There's a Ghibli store that has cool house stuff, bento boxes, and other things. Its next to The Garage where TK is. Check it out if you are in that area of Cambridge again.

Kofuku Shop! It's so cute in there, and the man who runs it is so friendly. I actually need to look and see if they have straw sandals next time I'm in there - The ones that came with my cosplay costume last year were terrible and I wound up wearing flip-flops to Anime Boston, and I'd like to get good straw sandals for upcoming events.

AniMadness is a pretty cool store over in Waltham. They're doing a Halloween event this Saturday actually - I'm going to try to go. Pre-Registration will available for AnimeBoston too, so I guess it will kill two birds with one stone or something. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5