• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New February ADV Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
ADV has solicited it again as a 39.98, multidisc set for January 2008 in last months Diamond Previews, but it looks like that's not popped up on preorder sites yet. Not really sure what's going on with that..... but it looks like work is continuing on the show, and we'll see it sometime in 2008.

Releasing such a long show takes a lot of planning, to ensure it's feasible to release, and available in a fashion that'll please fans, while also making a profit.
Amen my friend, long shows are hell to release, especially with a customer base that doesn't see much a reason to actually pay for the products. (That open letter to the industry is so dead on about that issue.)

I really hope ADV does well with this series. It's peaked my interest solely by virtue of being both extremely popular in Japan and extremely odd sounding. I'm not as interested in it as I am in Kanon or a possible Clannad license, but I intend to check out the "awesome frog show" as so many refer to it.

HyperGatack wrote:
holy`bell wrote:
Lord Dolmus wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
This is nice but still no news on Sergent Frog?
Don't you mean Keroro Gunsō the totally non-kiddish action/drama?
Keroro Gunsō = Sergent Frog.... . .. . . .
Elitists are so fun, aren't they?
This exchange is half the reason I sometimes wonder why some fans even bother to post on an English language anime site rather than just learn Japanese to remain "true, pure fans" who don't even need English subtitles. Rolling Eyes

Plus, how can this series be "non-kiddish action/drama" when it's got episodes involving such things as a spoon that makes things gigantic and the titular character is an alien frog? Granted, I haven't watched the series, but the plots sound quite funny and not that adult. (I read about the spoon plot on another thread about this series. I'm guessing this is the source of Mur in UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie's spork that makes him enormous for a few seconds.)

Also, according to the wiki lords:
Quote:
In 2005, the manga received the 50th Shogakukan Manga Award in the children's category.
So I think this one might be a little "kiddish."
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I think Lord Dolmus was being sarcastic Idea
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

ADV has solicited it again as a 39.98, multidisc set for January 2008 in last months Diamond Previews, but it looks like that's not popped up on preorder sites yet. Not really sure what's going on with that..... but it looks like work is continuing on the show, and we'll see it sometime in 2008.

Diamond isn't always accurate, and more importantly, Diamond's listings are not official solicitations and should be treated as tentative pending official confirmation. They said Geneon was going to release a MariMite boxset this fall but that never happened. There have been other things they've mentioned that didn't come to pass, but I don't recall any other specifics.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
If he (she?) was being sarcastic, then I will admit an error on my part. However, quite a few uber sub-loving, "I am true fan!" types do tend to think and post in the same fashion. It's a 50/50 thing.

There was a bit of this same kind of thing when Funimation licened Jigoku Shoujo and used the direct English translation of Hell Girl for the title's release here in R1 land. (This is the most recent example I'm aware of but there are others.)

The title is the basically the same either way, but some acted like using the English translation somehow "defiled" the anime. A much more extreme version, with some merits to both sides, would be the ongoing "death god" vs. "soul reaper" translations of shinigami. There you've got more nuances of translation and supposedly in the case of Bleach, the creator's preference vs. fan's perception of how important a literal translation of the Japanese term is.

Not that any of this has that much to do with ADV, but my only point is that no emoticons or hint words were present for me to automatically ascribe sarcasm to Lord Dolmus's post as the point as made in the post is an acctual position held by a number of anime fans.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
If he (she?) was being sarcastic, then I will admit an error on my part. However, quite a few uber sub-loving, "I am true fan!" types do tend to think and post in the same fashion. It's a 50/50 thing.

There was a bit of this same kind of thing when Funimation licened Jigoku Shoujo and used the direct English translation of Hell Girl for the title's release here in R1 land. (This is the most recent example I'm aware of but there are others.)

The title is the basically the same either way, but some acted like using the English translation somehow "defiled" the anime. A much more extreme version, with some merits to both sides, would be the ongoing "death god" vs. "soul reaper" translations of shinigami. There you've got more nuances of translation and supposedly in the case of Bleach, the creator's preference vs. fan's perception of how important a literal translation of the Japanese term is.

Not that any of this has that much to do with ADV, but my only point is that no emoticons or hint words were present for me to automatically ascribe sarcasm to Lord Dolmus's post as the point as made in the post is an acctual position held by a number of anime fans.

The "non-kiddish action/drama" part makes me think it's a joke; I don't want to believe that anyone would seriously say that. lol
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
finally, a date for Gurren Lagann. the only thing that could make this more perfect is on-air syndication.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
So here is the new cover for the 1st Gurren Lagann DVD (I am still not sure if it is final.)

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/26700/

Also if you read through the thread an ADV rep confirmed that there will be 6 DVDs instead of 7.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
So here is the new cover for the 1st Gurren Lagann DVD (I am still not sure if it is final.)

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/26700/

Also if you read through the thread an ADV rep confirmed that there will be 6 DVDs instead of 7.

i hope that's not the final logo, cause that's really generic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4