• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimeNewsNetworkTV - NYAF '07 Day 3 and Wrap-up

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Thondal wrote:
ok. that was my bad, for not saying i knew that, but I just wander to put up a point, and not say what it mete... (an I do myself not live in the US so I'm not a 100% sure) but is it not illegal to download a fansub (these is no mater what), and then use it like that? and if so what is it doing on ANNTV?? I do not think that it is a good thing (just like I do not like the previews saying fansub).

A valid question. It wasn't from a fansub, it was from a captured-off-the-air copy. US law grants exceptions to short clips of copywritten works if used for purposes of news reporting or review. American TV news regularly uses taped-off-the-air file footage of television shows when doing a story on, say, one of the actors in the show.
Codain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
I am not from the US either but we all know it was from Japanese TV (whether subtitles were there or not).

Either way, was good that ANN got a clip up.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who didn't see the point in a "big finale video" for the last day of the con if it was goint to be 3 minutes of actual "news". The cosplay interviews were entertaining, but they shouldn't have gone in here. I understand there wasn't much news to cover in the video, but then why was there a need to extend this past the short time needed to cover what did happen?

Also, I've been wondering the point of the introductory "numbered" list (1.Manga, 2. Japan, ect...) Looking over the video, the news isn't covered in that order (which is good; it'd be a stupid idea). I'm not saying to re-write the intro from scratch, I'm just curious why this was chosen for no apparent reason.

Despite all that, the actual preformance of the newscasters was very good. Regardless of what you guys are covering and our opinions on it, you present the news in a relatively professional and unbiased way.
Thondal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Thondal wrote:
ok. that was my bad, for not saying i knew that, but I just wander to put up a point, and not say what it mete... (an I do myself not live in the US so I'm not a 100% sure) but is it not illegal to download a fansub (these is no mater what), and then use it like that? and if so what is it doing on ANNTV?? I do not think that it is a good thing (just like I do not like the previews saying fansub).

A valid question. It wasn't from a fansub, it was from a captured-off-the-air copy. US law grants exceptions to short clips of copywritten works if used for purposes of news reporting or review. American TV news regularly uses taped-off-the-air file footage of television shows when doing a story on, say, one of the actors in the show.

ahh... ok thank you for the answer jsevakis...(although one have to wonder how you got taped-off-the-air from Japan... (this is not to silly comments, I think I know how) but who cares)… and before I say anymore I think it is a good idea to stop thinking, hehe…

ok… one the other hand… I was thinking… some think it is to short, some that is to long. And some do not care for some of the stuff in it… so I was thinking, ( well this is only if you intent to make it more then 8-20min long ), why not put it up as a series of small clips? And then use a chapter like function? That make it possible to view all of them continues or just the skip what you are not interested in? a php server should be able to do that.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Interesting! You guys are shaping up. Whoever is filming needs to watch for jarring; that's a huge no-no in the realm of cinematography. There are also some great books on the rule of thirds, too. Study that and you're gold. However, your animation, sound effects, and talent are all pretty good. The ANN News Team must all be a collaboration of college friends? That's what I'm seeing... at least you guys are having fun though!

All in all, I enjoyed the show. Cool

/j

lol, you sound like one of my profs! (I'm a broadcasting student, hense why I'm rarely on here anymore) Good old rule of thirds. Tripods are expensive so I can see why it's all handheld, but they make a great investment when renting one for the day. (I presume ANN rents their equipment) I did notice a merger whenever the hosts were standing infront of the black TV (I think it's a TV, looks like one) Putting the CC aside, I thought the show was enjoyable. I like how ANN is covering cons using video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2