• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Design Wins Informal British Flag Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
i'm pretty sure that VAST majority of Britains don't know what anime is or where the picture is from...

they just voted with the "coolest" looking one out of the bunch...

Correct, the majority wouldn't know the picture's origin, but they are not so mindless that they've never heard of anime before.

Agreed. I actually didn't know the picture was from this particular anime when I saw it last weekend and neither did a friend of mine who thought the flag was way cool (they're not as interested in Anime as I am). While I knew several of the other flags were referencing Anime shows it wasn't until someone mentioned it was from Gurren Lagann after the flag won that I found out it was from said show (I've not seen Gurren Lagann yet). I did tell my friend it was Gurren Lagann after I read about it so they'd know as well.
Cold-NiTe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
4CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE.

Also, to what a previous poster said...

[norio]ALL HAAIL BRITANNIA![/norio]
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
I would have figured The Elevens would have had a more conservative taste.

There isn't much you can do with the U.S.A flag, but the idea of it being a Chiyo country is wonderful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
4chan spammed the polls until it won. It was at 1% before they started.
Vir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
4chan spammed the polls until it won. It was at 1% before they started.

Once it hit 4chan, it spread out like wildfire to other forums and irc channels. 4chan was actually disappointed that it rose over 40% and tried to vote it down again. Very Happy

albanian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
What surprises me more than anything is that the Daily Telegraph is about as conservative as mainstream British journalism gets. It's the paper of choice for choleric retired colonels and elderly spinsters from Godalming - as well as the infamously proverbial 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'. The very fact that the competition existed at all will probably have induced a plague of heart attacks over the toast and marmalade right across upper middle class England!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
From the news story:

Quote:
The website's poll is non-binding and the Parliament has yet to act upon the flag redesign suggestion of Lucas.

You don't say? Rolling Eyes

albanian wrote:
What surprises me more than anything is that the Daily Telegraph is about as conservative as mainstream British journalism gets. It's the paper of choice for choleric retired colonels and elderly spinsters from Godalming - as well as the infamously proverbial 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'. The very fact that the competition existed at all will probably have induced a plague of heart attacks over the toast and marmalade right across upper middle class England!

Whilst I entirely agree with your appraisal of the Telegraph, Lucas' suggestion for a revised flag has met with such a resounding lack of support from all quarters (including his own party and the Welsh Nationalists) that nobody - and that includes the editorial staff at the Telegraph - takes it seriously enough to be offended by the idea. They're running the story for laughs.

If anyone was taking this remotely seriously, it would be front page news in the rightwing gutter press (Mail, Express) and Gordon Brown would be loudly decrying the idea whilst simultaneously proclaiming how proud he is of his "Britishness". Again.
Vir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Might be some drilling to be done down in Bara, Iraq.

spoiler[(Manipulated image. Source)]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Aww... since Ichigo Mashimaro is my favourite anime/manga franchise of the past half-decade or so, I can't express just how dismayed I am that Ana Copplla only got a pithy 3% of the vote.

But, since the vote is indeed "non-binding", nothing's stopping the British Parliament from adopting the "Coppola Standard". And, assuming the quantum physics theory of infinite universes that branch off from our own each time a decision is made is true, there's gotta be one universe somewhere where Ana Coppola is indeed the new British flag.

By the way, I wonder what these "questionable voting patterns" were; was Ron Paul a choice in this poll? [/LITTLEGREENFOOTBALLSFAN]

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
What the frig, Britain.

You make up "manga hair gel" for X-TREEEEEEEEME DBZ-LIKE HAIR SPIKING ACTION.

You make up this "Book of Best New Manga" and it turns out to be some wacky OEL compendium.

You do a "manga Shakespeare" that involves Romeo + Juliet being retold in modern-day Shibuya, or something.

You try to adapt the story portions of the Old and New Testaments into a single graphic novel volume and call it "The Manga Bible."

And the flags.

And Grantm.

Seriously, WHAT IS IT, BRITANNIA?! What is it with you?!
Vir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
By the way, I wonder what these "questionable voting patterns" were; was Ron Paul a choice in this poll? [/LITTLEGREENFOOTBALLSFAN]

I laughed a bit when these two stories were the top viewed stories at the Telegraph at the very same time:

It's like the view statistics are trying to tell you something. Very Happy
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
wicked flag. but um. I prefer ALL HAIL BRITANNICA! better. Very Happy

edit: and how fitting a post about me be 1111 for me. I rule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Doktor Wilhelm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
I know this is old, but the skull on the flag also looks like the logo from the Offspring - 'Consipracy of One' albume (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_Of_One)...

I guess I'll have to watch Gurren Lagann, to see where the flag idea actually comes from...
tyciol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I love seeing the design at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1572168/The-new-face-of-Britain-Flag-poll-results.html

I thought it might also look great on the Canadian flag, and lo and behold someone else thought of it first: http://katsuyo-sinuji.deviantart.com/art/Gurren-Lagann-Canadian-Flag-105289246
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2