• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Third Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Season Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
The first season was nice because of its semi-humoristic horror and the confusing plot.
But since the second season was a big disappointed, I'll stay away from the third season unless it returns to the roots (i.e. first season style).

So you hated the fact the second season started unraveling the mysteries presented in season 1? Neutral
hara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
I hated the fact that it turned into some slice of life comedy without a plot.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
A few details behind the second missing but we're still hungry for more of it.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:59 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:

I'm sorry, you must've watched Lucky Star instead of Higurashi Kai.
hara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
No, I am sure it was Higukai which additionally seemed to have way too much screentime for its story :p
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
How can you seriously call the Massacre arc (6-13) slice of life? It's like you watched the 2nd and 3rd ep only for this season and decided the entire season was club games for some inane reason.
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
How can you seriously call the Massacre arc (6-13) slice of life? It's like you watched the 2nd and 3rd ep only for this season and decided the entire season was club games for some inane reason.

You know, I wouldn't mind having a series composed entirely of club games. I always considered club games to be one of the best parts of the franchise and was really disappointed how little focus they get in the anime.

Oh, that and Kei'ichi's father. I wish they'd used his awesome character design from the manga as opposed to the boring one they decided on.

Speaking of the manga someone needs to pick up the rights and release it over here soonish. It's a far better adaptation.
hara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's like you watched the 2nd and 3rd ep only for this season and decided the entire season was club games for some inane reason.

Don't jump to conclusions. I watched 23 episodes of the show up to now, constantly hoping for it to become better. So I really gave Higukai a chance for improvement.

Westlo wrote:
How can you seriously call the Massacre arc (6-13) slice of life?

Was this Satoko's arc? I know there were drama elements in it but it dragged for 8 episodes and only moved in circles. Three episodes would have summed up this plot excellently but as it was dragged for so long it became as boring as if there wasn't any story development.

Seriously, the whole season is far too long and just not exciting. I don't need blood or violence, don't get me wrong, but Higukai really needed better writers.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
To ANY company's out there (looking at you, ADV). Pick up the Higurashi license post haste. It'd be a sizable pick up.

I just rented the first 3 DVD's and now I'm hooked, I need more Mion!
MarthX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard all day.

Kai has an insane amount of plot. You must have not been paying attention.
BakaOnna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
The first season was nice because of its semi-humoristic horror and the confusing plot.
But since the second season was a big disappointed, I'll stay away from the third season unless it returns to the roots (i.e. first season style).

It's comments like these that makes me wonder why you actually like Higurashi. If anything, season 2 was more plot than season 1. Season 1 simply set up the murders and mystery, but the way DEEN adapted it, it was more of the 'lol blood, violence, and killer lolis!' Season 1 sets up the questions while Kai answers them. Unless you think the answers to the questions provided in season 1 were "plotless detail".

Also, season 1 would've had just as many "slice-of-life comedy moments" as season 2 if DEEN had done it at the same pace as Kai. But judging by your comments, I don't think you would've like that either.
tasogarenootome wrote:
spoiler[I felt like the finale for Kai was a little...flat compared to all the dramatic build-up for this arc. Then the epilogue with Rika - where the hell did that come from?! At any rate, it seems like we got a good resolution - how would they fit a third season in?]]

That did not come out of nowhere. It actually happened in the game and is a perfectly nice set up for Saikoroshi-hen, which is the arc season 3 will most likely start out with. And yes, that is the one, like someone else already mentioned, spoiler[where Rika lives in the "perfect" ideal world and goes crazy.]

And I really like the idea of season 3 being 'Fumoffu' sort of thing where DEEN animates some of the side arcs.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This is terrific news. I'm really interested in seeing as well, what season three will lead to 'cause it certainly did seem to be done with this one.

The shock factor was larger in the first season, but still enough surprises in between this season to keep me interested, it was really good.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
For those who are wondering what is still unanimated.

Manga Exclusive
Onisarashi-hen
Yoigoishi-hen
I don't see these getting animated anytime soon. Neither features the main cast. Both of these are complete. There's a third manga exclusive arc Utsutsukowashi-hen but it's only just begun and is thus even less likely to be animated.

This is actually not true at all. Onisarashi-hen features Akasaka and Ooshi. Yoigoishi-hen features Mion, and the third manga exclusive that wasn't mentioned is Utsutsukowashi-hen, which features Shion. Onisarashi-hen is a very interesting arc and I would love to see it animated. It's more of the nature of the first season, and while the main characters aren't the leads, they're still very interesting. Yoigoshi has some pretty dramatic and interesting characters too, and an interesting premise. Also grown-up Mion is a plus. Utsutsukowashi-hen is more like the first season with Shion as the main character when she attended another school.

I'd love to see these arcs animated, but it's more likely it'll be the Rena epilogue stuff.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Look hara, I personally don't care if you like Kai or not but to call Kai a slice of life comedy shows you have no [expletive] clue what the slice of life genre is.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
I think it'll be more of a Higurashi Fumoffu scenario though,

If I had to choose 2 shows to get a "Fumoffu" it would be this and Code Geass.
Geass Fummofu scares me as a concept.

However, we need more Gundam Seed Club things.
Those things are a lawfriot
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4