• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha Digital Anthology

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I suppose this is good news for people who enjoy reading manga online but personally I'll always prefer a physical copy to read instead.

If you want to be able to read manga this close to its release in Japan, you can't be that picky.

I understand wanting physical copies of the volumes, but these are the chapters very close to as they come out in the Japanese WSJ - this is where digital manga can shine.

perroloco wrote:
No love for REBORN, Gintama or Hunter X Hunter..?

I don't know about Hunter X Hunter, but Gintama and REBORN! are not popular enough to support this here quite yet. At least not popular enough by fans that will actually support the series. (I'm sure they'd be more than popular enough if more of the fanbase for those series had some values)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Quote:
After Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha launches, Viz Media plans to stop publishing the print edition of its Shonen Jump magazine next March with the "farewell April 2012 issue." Viz has been publishing the monthly magazine since 2003.
Nooo!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Well, it was bound to happen... Seeing how everyone is basically going digital in our modern society. Just hope the final issue of SJ is a pretty good one... Crying or Very sad
I'm hoping so as well. This actually really bites. I personally hate digital books and such - I prefer to read the physical copy. Digital versions also can't be easily shared like printed books (since my friends and I switch books around in our own personal book club).
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Quote:
After Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha launches, Viz Media plans to stop publishing the print edition of its Shonen Jump magazine next March with the "farewell April 2012 issue." Viz has been publishing the monthly magazine since 2003.
Nooo!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Well, it was bound to happen... Seeing how everyone is basically going digital in our modern society. Just hope the final issue of SJ is a pretty good one... Crying or Very sad
I'm hoping so as well. This actually really bites. I personally hate digital books and such - I prefer to read the physical copy. Digital versions also can't be easily shared like printed books (since my friends and I switch books around in our own personal book club).

I still don't see what the issue is. The volumes will still be available in print. Volumes are what I have always shared with my friends (and also what they've shared with me).

Releases of individual chapters this close to their release in Japan really has to be done digitally. You can buy the volumes when they come out later so you can have them physically.

It would be neat if we were able to get the WSJ in print with Japan, but manga just isn't that popular here, and it never will be. We have to take what we can get.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that the print version of US JUMP is being ended but in today's digital world it was unnecessary. I look forward to buying the final issue.

Two weeks after the release in Japan is a little long but with spring semester school work I won't have much manga reading time anyway.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Well damn. Shonen Jump was always a nice thing to come in the mail. I wonder how Viz will handle people who still have issues left in their subscription - a friend of mine recently signed up for two more years.
boznia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This is what I've been waiting for to get me to buy digital. A digital "subscription" to Jump at a reasonable price, and within a reasonable time behind the Japanese release. If this is successful, I hope they can eventually expand to the other Jump titles they have licensed, or maybe even the newer Jump series they haven't licensed yet. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm happy to see this.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHA-BLARGA-BLARGA-BLAAAARRRG!!! I JUST RENEWED MY SUBSCRIPTION, TOO!!!

(Heavy sigh). I guess it was inevitable. As much as I love getting my Shonen Jumps in the mail, I should have figured that this would be the end result. I really liked the fact that SJ still being printed after Yen Plus switched to digital. You see, I'm not that interested in having the latest chapters or anything like that. I just love the idea of a print serialized manga magazine. I even went out of my way to buy back issues and I just filled in the last of my holes last week (having them all was important to me). I even have a short stack of Rajin Comics anthologies!!

Unfortunately, I prefer print over digital myself. I just can't bring myself to pay money for a digital book. But as long as Viz is still going to print the individual volumes, I'm not too concerned about it all; like I said, I don't have to have the latest chapters right away. I'm sure it will be pretty successful for Viz and they're only making the decisions that they have to.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well i loved reading the magazine. Shonen Jump issues are always cool and exciting to read. I hate this new digital distribution... there's just something about reading a picture book in front of a screen that makes me shutter. Though I guess as long as the print volumes aren't ending then that's OK... still a shame those cant' get a catch up.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
As someone who lives in England and who obviously can't get a subscription to the print version as Viz (in their infinite wisdom /sarcasm) don't do subscriptions for countries outside the US, I'm gutted that they're not going to do the print version any more, especially as it means no more special promo cards for Yu-Gi-Oh! and the Naruto TCG! Sad

Another thing that pisses me off about this (besides Viz's crappy so-called customer service!) is the fact that they won't make this "new" Shonen Jump available outside North America; in other words, the likes of Europe and Australasia will get screwed over as Viz Media are too F-ing lazy to bother getting digital licenses for other English-language countries (as for Viz Europe, they're a bloody joke as their releases in the UK are usually months after the US release so most comic book stores usually sell the import versions from the US for obvious reasons!)
GordanHam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah!!! I was excited with all of this until I got to the last part!!! I love having the physical magazine!!!!! Ah!!!!! So does this mean that anyone who has a subsciption will automatically switch over to the new online subsciption? Auhg!! This is like the best worst news thing I have ever seen. It is so frustrating.

But whe you thing about, the subsciption is the same and in some cases more than the print magazine subscription, so I hope the subsciptions aren't just rentals.

And the last thing is that despite this being so close to a simultaneous release it is still not fast enough. I mean the people who are paying for this subsciption will still in the end end up being 3 weeks behind where the illegal providers and all their followers.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
And the last thing is that despite this being so close to a simultaneous release it is still not fast enough. I mean the people who are paying for this subsciption will still in the end end up being 3 weeks behind where the illegal providers and all their followers.

From what I've read elsewhere, the two week delay is just a starting point and if this works out they'll "close" the gap sometime in the future.

Of course, it still won't be able to match up with the illegal scanlations, but hopefully by that point there will be people going for the legal release instead of the illegal earlier than released in Japan release.

But that may be having too much faith in the anime/manga community. In fact it probably is. But hopefully enough of them will have enough values to supporting this as well as reading it illegally.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Ow.

Ow.

Oooow. Sad

I've been buying Shonen Jump since the very first volume in 2003, so while my shelf space will appreciate this, this kinda sucks. I might even end up dropping most of the series that were in it since I cant afford to but them all individually.

But you know? People have been wanting quick digital releases, so I realize this is probably the best way to go as far a profit. Im not interested in digital downloads [Plus only im only interested in Bakuman and One Piece], so I doubt Ill support this, but ill wish them luck.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
So I'm a little confused. They're going to speed-release the volumes to catch up for the digital magazine, but only digitally? I feel kind of cheated having already bought 52 physical volumes of Naruto and then suddenly be forced to buy the digital volumes in order to stay current.

I don't mind switching to the digital magazine. I actually think it's a great idea; it will be cool to be able to stay closer to the Japanese releases. But why can't they speed up the physical volumes as well? It's not like they haven't done it before.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
Well i loved reading the magazine. Shonen Jump issues are always cool and exciting to read. I hate this new digital distribution... there's just something about reading a picture book in front of a screen that makes me shutter. Though I guess as long as the print volumes aren't ending then that's OK... still a shame those can't' get a catch up.

I assume this'll make Naruto and One Piece simultaneous print releases for paperback volumes as well, given VIZ'll only be 2 weeks behind, and they're already pretty close to the japanese releases in print anyways. It wouldn't take long to catch up- and for Toriko, it sounds like they're offering it's catchup chaptes in Warp, so I hope that means a speedup for the manga [I prefer the quarterly schedule for manga since it means I can fit in more series, but in this case I wouldn't mind monthly catchup vols- it's a fun series :)]

Lyrai wrote:
Well damn. Shonen Jump was always a nice thing to come in the mail. I wonder how Viz will handle people who still have issues left in their subscription - a friend of mine recently signed up for two more years.

I'm assuming they'll offer them the equivalent value for SJ digital. Or offer refunds. I recall Yen did this with Yen Plus.

I'll miss the print mag [I have the majority of it's run], but am glad this'll likely feed into more content for the print editions, and hope it works out for VIZ in terms of filling the need for a magazine, and cutting down on piracy. And making fans happy :)
holangjai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the issues weren't selling that well since people don't read magazine/digests that often anymore. At some point the magazines had yugioh cards every month and I think only those issues sold the most.

I like the idea of having the digital ones speed up and catch up, but it would also be great if they decided to speed up the print a little as well. For instance, One Piece comes out with 4 volumes this year, but from what i've seen on Amazon's listing, we get volumes 60-62 in a 5 month span, meaning that's 1 volume every other month, not to mention 59 will be out in December, 1 month before 60. Naruto Bleach, Toriko, Bakuman, Psyren, and Nura all seem to have an accelerated schedule to Bimonthly after December. So the print does seem to be accelerated for Jump titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3