• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lost+Brain the new Death Note.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I was looking around the Shonen Sunday homepage, when I saw one of their newer series called Lost+Brain by Akira Ohtani . While I was looking for more info I found out that the series closely resembles Death Note. Here are some of the scans with a translation.

http://orange.kefi.org/o/lb01.jpg
http://orange.kefi.org/o/lb02.jpg
http://orange.kefi.org/o/lb03.jpg
http://orange.kefi.org/o/lb04.jpg

page 00
Everything in this world is worthless... upon realizing it, genius, Hiyama Ren meets "some power"...!!
Is the boy god, devil, or...!?

page 01/02
Everything!! is boring!
What would the boy get a hold of, in the world of worthless things!?
Sign.001 Power that He Seeked For
Lost Brain
Story: Yabuno Tsuzuku
Art: Otani Akira

page 03
Teacher: --- And so,
Teacher: summer vacation will start tomorrow, but take care of yourself.
Teacher: That's all. You're dismissed!

Boy1: Hey, what are we going to do with the concert?
Boy2: You know, my parents...
Girl1: How about Hokkaido?
Girl2: Eeeh, it's far.

Girl1: Erm...
Girl1: Hey, Hiyama-kun.
Girl2: I-if you don't mind, can you please show us
Girl2: the first place award from earlier?

page 04
Girl1: Wow, it's amazing!! And you've got perfect score!
Girl2: You're truly a genius that you can receive this, Hiyama-kun!
Hiyama: ... Worthless.

Girl: Eh?

Hiyama: If you want that, you can have it.
Hiyama: Bye.
Girl: Eh!?

Girl1: What did he mean by we can have it...?
Girl2: No idea.
Girl2: But if he doesn't need it, maybe I'll keep it.
Girl3: Kyaaah, not fair!!
Guy: What, are you girls after Hiyama?

Girl: Wh-what, any problem with it!?
Guy: You'd better stay away from him.
Guy: I'm from the same jr high as him, but I can never understand him!

Girl: Huh? What do you mean?
Guy: This award is the proof.
Guy: Hiyama is a guy who throws away whatever the thing that might've pleased us.

page 05
Hiyama: I'll destroy them all!!
Hiyama: How can I survive any longer in the world the scums live lazily!!

Hiyama: I've questioned myself until now
Hiyama: that what I should have as my goal in this boring world...

Hiyama: The answer...
Hiyama: has become clear today.

page 06
Hiyama: I'll destroy this world, and recreate it!!
Hiyama: Recreate it to a utopia without scums!!

Hiyama: I'll surely do it!!
Hiyama: Only I can do such a thing

Hiyama: cause everyone else but me is scums!!

Hiyama: So, in the new world I create, other people's wills are
Hiyama: not needed!!

Long story short, the main character Hiyama wants to create a new world utopia, just like Light. But his power is that he can kill anyone through hypnosis.

Hiyama even kind of resembles Light in some sort of way.
Also, the character you see in the first scan wearing red leather clothing, his name is M.

So would you call this a complete ripoff or more of the creator paying tribute to Death Note?
violented16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
I have read the scanlation of this first chapter and even though it has a lot of the same premise as Death Note I doubt it will continue the same. But saying something new has been produced in the last 10 years is a false statement too if you look at it that way.

The popularity of Death Note most likely has something to do with this series being serialized, but who really knows why some series get serialized and some don't.

As far as likeness of Light goes: the best character is a super smart person, they just so happen to be male. When you know as much as they do you are always looking for something larger and harder to understand or control.

And the "M" thing. One letter names have been around since the start of James Bond in 1952, even longer probably but I don't recall it (since I'm young yet).

Ripoff... Maybe... So I guess in the end we will have to wait to see how it plays out. To see how alike the two really are.
ishmael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, from the looks of it, yeah, I'd say ripoff, but that's hard to tell really from a few pages and a translation. There definitely to be some influence here, but maybe the story will go somewhere else entirely.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I get the strange feeling that in ten years or so, Death Note will have spawned so many inferior, pretentious, and boring imitators that we'll all be ashamed to say we ever liked it. Kinda like EVA, only EVA wasn't all that good to begin with...
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Wow those do seem similar. But since I can't read Japanese I didn't know about this series. Hopefully, the story will go off in a different direction (i.e. no I'm the police chief's son involved in a world-wide manhunt for a mass murderer).

As for the main character, he is really a dead ringer for Light. The light colored hair in a mop-like style is so close. Plus the angry looks in (I think) the scanned page four make me think to the end of vol 12 of Death Note. Also the comparison offered by dormcat says a lot. So I guess the question is - is M a sweet-loving insomniac?
akichan911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, this Hiyama dude looks just like Light, except with silver hair. The story (from the dialouges provided) sound just like the premise of Death Note, as well. I wonder how these stories get approved for the magazine, surely the editors would notice the extreme similarities?
But this is a newer series; it is very possible we could see some plot twist in the future that was never touched by Death Note.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:
I have to say, this Hiyama dude looks just like Light, except with silver hair. The story (from the dialouges provided) sound just like the premise of Death Note, as well. I wonder how these stories get approved for the magazine, surely the editors would notice the extreme similarities?

Are you kidding? If the editors care at all, they're pushing FOR it. Anything that gets big, people show up to try and milk it for a few bucks of their own. Not new stuff, dude. Look at the new releases section of a video store at any given day, and you'll spot at least one direct-to-DVD feature ripped off from whatever blockbuster film was recently tearing up the box office. When the work does enough new things, the imitators form a genre. See: slasher films after Halloween, fantasy novels after Lord of the Rings became big, angsty, confusing, and artsy-fartsy anime from the post-EVA period, the resurgence of gore films in the wake of Saw, date-sim anime following To Heart, the list goes on and on and on.
akichan911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
akichan911 wrote:

Are you kidding? If the editors care at all, they're pushing FOR it. Anything that gets big, people show up to try and milk it for a few bucks of their own. Not new stuff, dude. Look at the new releases section of a video store at any given day, and you'll spot at least one direct-to-DVD feature ripped off from whatever blockbuster film was recently tearing up the box office. When the work does enough new things, the imitators form a genre. See: slasher films after Halloween, fantasy novels after Lord of the Rings became big, angsty, confusing, and artsy-fartsy anime from the post-EVA period, the resurgence of gore films in the wake of Saw, date-sim anime following To Heart, the list goes on and on and on.

I see your point there- it does always happen that way. I agree with that, but making it an almost exact carbon copy, maybe even pushing plagiarism (look at Dormcat's linked page if you don't know what I'm referring to) seems like something editors (or whoever is managing it) should make sure of. Shouldn't they try to be cafeful of that for legal purposes?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
akichan911 wrote:

I see your point there- it does always happen that way. I agree with that, but making it an almost exact carbon copy, maybe even pushing plagiarism (look at Dormcat's linked page if you don't know what I'm referring to) seems like something editors (or whoever is managing it) should make sure of. Shouldn't they try to be cafeful of that for legal purposes?

I'd assume they do. In America at least, there are well-established legal guidelines for this sort of thing, and they can always do just the bare minimum to get it past legal. Again, if you check the direct-to-DVD shelves in a video store, you'll find a handful of utterly blatant rip-offs and a larger bit of stuff that clearly takes significant cues. I don't know what the situation in Japan is, but I'd assume it's even more complicated thanks to doujinshi culture and so forth.
akichan911

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
akichan911 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
akichan911 wrote:

I'd assume they do. In America at least, there are well-established legal guidelines for this sort of thing, and they can always do just the bare minimum to get it past legal. Again, if you check the direct-to-DVD shelves in a video store, you'll find a handful of utterly blatant rip-offs and a larger bit of stuff that clearly takes significant cues. I don't know what the situation in Japan is, but I'd assume it's even more complicated thanks to doujinshi culture and so forth.

I see...and maybe the brown-hair/silver-hair thing is their bare-minimum.
I think that Japan definetely has had some plagiarism problems; I remember one incident when a creator almost directly copied photos of action shots for his basketball manga.
And while I see what you mean, I don't know if doujinshi has anything to do with the type of copying that we are seeing here, because many manga artists either accept doujinshi or were doujinshi artists, and for the most part doujin artists don't make much of a profit from their material.
It makes me wonder what the creators and editors of Death Note think of this; I'm sure people show them things like this often. Maybe they don't mind too much, because it would be up to them to make a move on this (because the creators own the copyrights).
And also, is this the only real Death Note copy, or are there multiple running in Japan's manga magazines now?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:

I see...and maybe the brown-hair/silver-hair thing is their bare-minimum.
I think that Japan definetely has had some plagiarism problems; I remember one incident when a creator almost directly copied photos of action shots for his basketball manga.
And while I see what you mean, I don't know if doujinshi has anything to do with the type of copying that we are seeing here, because many manga artists either accept doujinshi or were doujinshi artists, and for the most part doujin artists don't make much of a profit from their material.
It makes me wonder what the creators and editors of Death Note think of this; I'm sure people show them things like this often. Maybe they don't mind too much, because it would be up to them to make a move on this (because the creators own the copyrights).
And also, is this the only real Death Note copy, or are there multiple running in Japan's manga magazines now?

I think people wouldn't be complaining as much about Lost Brain if it wasn't right on the heels of the Megabaka scandel. In fact, people seem to be conflating them, or using them to try and perceive a pattern.

In any event I don't think it's such a big deal, because before these incidents, I'd never heard of either of them. Which implies that the work isn't catching on. (Of course, it may also be that they're too new.) Which, again, isn't unusual. In fact, the creators may know and not care. In Hollywood, generally you avoid stepping on other people's toes if you can, because the people in power talk to each other. If you talk shit about people, either those people start talking shit about you, or you get a rep as someone who's hard to work with. Then your employment prospects start drying up. Japan is not Hollywood, but I understand reputation is far more important there. If the knock-offs aren't making money or getting publicity, it may be a better move to just let them lie- chances are they'll die a natural death soon enough.

Come to think of it, this might even be to the creators' benefit. Death Note has wrapped up. There are really no sales left to steal. Sure, there's merchandise and paraphernalia of various kinds, but that's generally based more on characters and artwork then on the story. But if the inferior knock-offs start proliferating, people start saying "Man, that's just a pale imitation of Death Note." Which inflates Death Note's reputation and increases long-term sales and sales of later works from the same creators. In which case it's an "everyone wins" scenerio.
akichan911

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

I think people wouldn't be complaining as much about Lost Brain if it wasn't right on the heels of the Megabaka scandel. In fact, people seem to be conflating them, or using them to try and perceive a pattern.

In any event I don't think it's such a big deal, because before these incidents, I'd never heard of either of them. Which implies that the work isn't catching on. (Of course, it may also be that they're too new.) Which, again, isn't unusual. In fact, the creators may know and not care. In Hollywood, generally you avoid stepping on other people's toes if you can, because the people in power talk to each other. If you talk shit about people, either those people start talking shit about you, or you get a rep as someone who's hard to work with. Then your employment prospects start drying up. Japan is not Hollywood, but I understand reputation is far more important there. If the knock-offs aren't making money or getting publicity, it may be a better move to just let them lie- chances are they'll die a natural death soon enough.

Come to think of it, this might even be to the creators' benefit. Death Note has wrapped up. There are really no sales left to steal. Sure, there's merchandise and paraphernalia of various kinds, but that's generally based more on characters and artwork then on the story. But if the inferior knock-offs start proliferating, people start saying "Man, that's just a pale imitation of Death Note." Which inflates Death Note's reputation and increases long-term sales and sales of later works from the same creators. In which case it's an "everyone wins" scenerio.

I'm afraid I don't know what you are referring to when you are talking about Mangabaka- I Googled and ANN'd it and found nothing.
Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that manga creators aren't giving as much shit to other artists than movie producers and such are.
And that makes a lot of sense; Death Note isn't going to lose money because of a cheap knock-off because many fans probably either see Death Note as superior to these copies, or the people reading Lost+Brain have read Death Note, or they just haven't heard of it before.
That would make sense of why the manga artists and editors wouldn't want to bother suing the creators of these copies- I mean, who wants to jump into a scandal?
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
AWholeBunchofPeople wrote:

Japanese copyright laws are pretty lax. Besides, Shonen Jump tends to serialize "copies with potential" on a regular basis. It is pretty standard... plus, this isn't a direct ripoff, and while it is very similar (intentionally, I'm sure) to Death Note, proving intellectual copyright infringement is notoriously tricky. It would cost the authors far less money to use the publicity to garner sales- why you would want to sue over something like this is also a consideration.

Also- Megabaka: I found a short blurb here.
Andrue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually picked up this issue of shonen sunday from a chinese grocery store the other day. Its odd. It really does remind me of deathnote. is this just a one shot story? or were other chapters made?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2