• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype USA to Cease Publication

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Daryl - I would've thought it would be bad form for a staff member from a competing magazine to publicly dance on the grave of a fallen competitor, much less start seeding conspiracy theories about the content of its replacement, which you know exactly jack about.

And let's face it -- Otaku USA is hardly the pristine model of journalistic integrity itself. First of all lifting design and format cues directly from Newtype USA. (I guess it's an indication that no one there could come up with anything original on their own. I think the only thing that wasn't taken was the back-to-front orientation) And second, how unbiased is it when your Japanese/vinyl toy coverage is written by a guy that makes a living selling Japanese/vinyl toys (and frequently spends time pimping his own products/company/exhibits). Or has editors that enjoy plugging the books they've written in the front section of the magazine.

How Newtype USA was balanced is that we made the effort to cover shows/manga from all publishers as equally as we could. I think we achieved that goal and it shows in the content. God knows the staff had to work very hard with some publishers to get it done. I don't think you have to spend time and page real estate crapping on something just to prove that you're somehow more balanced or hardcore. Either the reader gets the information/entertainment value they seek out of your content or they don't.
SantenKesshun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

I'm sure that PiQ will be subject to the same allegations as NTUSA, and people should at least ask the questions. Still, what concerns me far more than that is the wording of that email which got sent out. I get the feeling that the anime and manga coverage in PiQ will take a backseat to all of the other stuff it's presumably going to cover; that the anime/manga stuff will be de-emphasized to just its one section in favor of talking about videogames, American TV shows/movies, US comicbooks, or whatever it is they're going with (all of the above?) in the hopes of appealing to a larger group of people and reflecting what seems to be the prevailing interests of most anime convention attendees at this point. It's just a wild guess, but in the event that turns out to be true I’m not sure how happy the former Newtype USA subscribers will be. Guess we'll know in a few weeks.

I just bought a subscription in december and that's exactly what I'm worried about. I bought the magazine for anime and I'd be extremely disappointed if they strayed from that too much.

As far as we've heard though, they will refund subscribers at any time if they feel the urge to discontinue. That's nice to hear.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
From BV's blog:

AD Vision (the publisher of Newtype USA) is going to publish a new magazine PiQ and it will be sent to Newtype USA subscribers.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
From BV's blog:

AD Vision (the publisher of Newtype USA) is going to publish a new magazine PiQ and it will be sent to Newtype USA subscribers.

That was an interesting read. I never even considered how Japan would feel about NTUSA ceasing. It makes sense though as I just recently read an article from one of the columnists, Jonathan Clements, in the Jan issue of NT that stated that the foreign market is worth 50% of a Japanese company's interest. With the loss of a conduit of information about the goings on in Japan, those companies are concerned about it may affect future sales.

Another point of interest from that blog was the fact that some Japanese companies are considering trying to keep NTUSA running, just by another company other than ADV. If the quality at or near the same level, I'd subscribe.

I'm not writing off Piq, though. I do have almost 2 years worth of that magazine coming to me as I had just renewed last month.
Vulkurt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Just picked up the February copy. I find it ironic that there is still subscription inserts in it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Vulkurt wrote:
Just picked up the February copy. I find it ironic that there is still subscription inserts in it.

Notice it doesn't indicate last issue anywhere on the cover. Nor does the editor say anything in his comment on the Contents page that this is the last issue.

I say they're trying to pull a fast one-get people to subscribe to Newtype so they can sell PiQ. I got a renewal notice postmarked 1/19 reminding me I don't want to miss out on the latest from Japan-re-subscribe now.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Vulkurt wrote:

Notice it doesn't indicate last issue anywhere on the cover. Nor does the editor say anything in his comment on the Contents page that this is the last issue.

It's on the bottom of the last page...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cosmo773

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I for one am glad to see Newtype USA go away. I had nothing but a nightmare of an experience with my subscription (which they never resolved and I never got my money back like they said they would.) and, unless you are completely internet deficient, the news for each new issue was old, way old. I had a subscription to Newtype Japan for years, and I was never disappointed like I was with its USA counterpart. Yes I'm bitter, but they could have done so much more with this magazine and they just didn't. It was the same old news on the same old shows. (one more freakin' Gundam Seed recap, story or character study and I would've gone postal!) So long Newtype USA and good riddance!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
cosmo773 wrote:
...and, unless you are completely internet deficient, the news for each new issue was old, way old.

For the last freaking time: Newtype USA is a FEATURE magazine, NOT a news magazine. Get it right before you make stupid claims. (And by the way, you have to consider the large delay between printing and distribution.)

cosmo773 wrote:
So long Newtype USA and good riddance!

Thanks for the insult on my life ambitions. *whines*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
I just received my copy in the mail today. How bittersweet it is. I think I might frame it(after I read it, of course). I think I'll take my time reading it and savor the experience. Yeah, I'm sentimental like that. Crying or Very sad
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
cosmo773 wrote:
I for one am glad to see Newtype USA go away. I had nothing but a nightmare of an experience with my subscription (which they never resolved and I never got my money back like they said they would.) and, unless you are completely internet deficient, the news for each new issue was old, way old. I had a subscription to Newtype Japan for years, and I was never disappointed like I was with its USA counterpart. Yes I'm bitter, but they could have done so much more with this magazine and they just didn't. It was the same old news on the same old shows. (one more freakin' Gundam Seed recap, story or character study and I would've gone postal!) So long Newtype USA and good riddance!

Boo hoo hoo
You had a bad experience. It happens.
If you paid by check or credit card, then you had proof of payment so there shouldn't have been a issue, but you know pretty much every business out there screws up every once in awhile. Look at the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm sure the family members of people who have died on rides have issues with Mickey's place.

Like I have the time to surf the net & see the cast & crew lists for all the new anime coming out of Japan. This site doesn't always have it up that quickly. I've seen stuf in Newtype before I saw it here. No, I don't cruise the net looking for info-this is pretty much my source outside of Newtype. Yes, ny daughter & I went halvesies on the 3 Japanese anime mags, but I don't speak or read Japanese & neither does she yet, so yes, I recognize some VA kanji, but not all....
Whine. Newtype USA rocked. The replacement sounds more like Animerica which was ok, but not Newtype.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14