• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype USA to Cease Publication

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This is sad. And not a good sign for the industry as the whole.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ScottGreen wrote:
To throw some speculation into the discussion without too much insight into the print side of anime coverage, I can't imagine how the departure of Geneon from active anime distribution didn't hurt these magazines. That's a significant advertiser who no longer had any need to market to anime consumer.

Yep. That's not an incorrect statement. It likely was not the one thing - I'm assuming it was a number of factors - but Geneon's departure did sting for anime magazines.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the industry as a whole but I am now officially worried about ADV. Not to sound like Chicken Little but ADV has done several things over the last few months that have me wondering what is going on over there. First, they shut down ADV Advocates for a indefinite amount of time (this is/was the program for the Anime clubs). Then they pulled the plug on the Liner channel without any notice and now they are pulling the plug on NewType USA. The only thing they've done to counter balance this slide is to open up the TAN Online player, which was a good thing, but I still have to wonder and worry if something bad is happening at ADV at the moment Sad .
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
ScottGreen wrote:
To throw some speculation into the discussion without too much insight into the print side of anime coverage, I can't imagine how the departure of Geneon from active anime distribution didn't hurt these magazines. That's a significant advertiser who no longer had any need to market to anime consumer.

I can say for a fact that the departure of Geneon has been bad news for everyone in terms of advertising revenue. Geneon was about 10% of ANN's 2007 budget and 20% of PA's.

GATSU wrote:
The internets killed the publications industry.

Yes indeed. It's still possible to be profitable in the Internet age, but a hell of a lot harder. I take a perverse pride in the fact that ANN supports one of the anime magazines that had to compete against the Internet for so long.

RoodyPooUS wrote:

I can easily see this being an issue of licensing fees for the NewType name.
It could easily have been Kadokawa being unhappy with the circulation numbers and deciding to pull the plug from their end. Pure speculation about possibilities on my part, I've known about the cancellation for a while now, but I was never privy to the reason it was canceled.
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad about NTUSA. I bought every issue of the magazine since September of 2003 and owned a subscription for the last two years. I do agree that it was too expensive for the casual consumer, but it was a quality magazine and help me expand my anime library thanks to their sampler DVDs. Hopefully the new magazine will carry on the tradition that NTUSA established.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
This is sad. And not a good sign for the industry as the whole.

Confused

Read the whole article much?

"According to reports from those contacted by ADV, the company is planning to replace Newtype USA with another magazine."

There's nothing in that sentence there that would make it seem like this isn't a good sign. They are going to have a different magazine, it's not like they're dropping anime magazines as a whole.

It could be just like someone else said, they may have decided that it's not worth the fees to use the Newtype name. I wouldn't blame them, since the amount of content that was the same as the Japanese version wasn't large enough in my mind to warrant even keeping the name (my boyfriend got both USA and Japan Newtype for a while, only reason I noticed).

Really, this could actually help in the end, rather than hinder. If the new magazine they make still has some of what made Newtype appealing, but at a cheaper price, more people may be willing to buy it (I know back when the price went up for USA's Newtype a few years back I began buying it less and less personally, I just couldn't afford it at the time).
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ScottGreen wrote:

Geneon had a large advertising budget and their departure has caused a lot of pain across the industry for both fans, retailers, and publishers.

We've been an advertising partner with Newtype since the first issue, and we've done a lot of ad work specifically targeted for NewType's format. My understanding is that Newtype spent a great deal of money on product quality to produce a rather lavish publication, and that always made profitability challenging - even at the rather high cover price. I have every issue on my bookshelf here at the office, and it will certainly be missed, but they told me that details of the new magazine will be coming over to us in a couple of days.

Gary Stienman has a great crew down there and I'm not aware of any staff layoffs, and they seem excited at the prospect of putting together a new publication and expanding their circulation base now that they will be free of the strings that came with the license from kodakawa. They told me that they are going to try to make something great even better.

I think their intention is for current subscriptions to continue into the new publication, but rather than speculate everyone should sit tight for a few days and give them a chance to make a formal announcement.

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
While Newtype USA did write many good articles about music and games and such that was detached from ADV, the number of ADV animes mentioned and advertised bothered me sometimes. But, overall, it kept me somewhat up to speed on recent anime that I hadn't yet seen.

I would most definitely say that Geneon's sink did some damage here. This is becoming somewhat frightening for our favorite industry.

And like others have said, ADV's activity is a little disturbing. Anyone remember when ADV was about to buy Geneon? Then suddenly, they dropped out on the deal? Next thing we know, Geneon is gone. ADV had made a lot of cutbacks to their team in preparation for that move. Now what? I'm truly concerned for the industry. I won't make my arguments here as to why I think that is (I think we've all already heard it before). But I think we need to sit back and reflect and think about what it's going to take (from both ends, not just our end, and not just the industry alone) to make sure we still have anime to enjoy in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
domino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
A shame. Of all the anime magazines I've read, Newtype USA was always my favorite (since other magazines are full of really old news and don't have the pretty exclusive art). The only thing keeping me from buying often was the high cover price -- the high quality came at a high cost that just wasn't worth it for something as temporary as a magazine.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I just renewed my subscription in December, and now I find out that I won't get my magazine. I've come to love NewType USA. I've increased my collection just from learning about new titles and upcoming titles alone from the magazine. I never really got into the Shonen Jump magazine. What other magazines are out there that are as good an investment as NewType USA? I didn't think $12 dollars a month was that bad for the magazine personally.

I see people talking about a new magazine taking its place maybe? Any more information on that? Maybe ADV, Funimation, Media Works and Bandai: are all getting together to do a joint release magazine?

Sad WoW, just when I thought the news could not get any worse today. Already I got 3 Bandai DvD's to return on the 17th due to play issues, and now I am loosing my favorite magazine. Sad

The 4th quarter of 2007 with the loss of Geneon Entertainment and the 1st quarter of 2008 with the loss of NewType USA is already a bad omen for the Anime market. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ruro niko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
We don't really know if it's really a bad omen yet. As far as we know, it could be a simple name change. I'm sure using the Newtype name was a drain on profits, so it probably would be better for them to make their own original magazine.

Or maybe their souls were too weighed down by Earth's gravity to be called Newtype.
animefan473

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This makes me very unhappy. I've been a NewType USA subscriber since May of 2005. Hopefully this "new magazine", if in fact it ever does come about, will fill the void.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
reddrake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Votary wrote:
What’s to come of subscriptions that go past Feb?
Not even a week ago I received an email notice that I’d better renew with only 4 issue left on my subscription, I’m really glad I didn’t renew right away.

I would like to know this as well . . . good thing I hadn't renewed yet either.

I was about to renew my subscription this week. No point now. I really enjoyed a lot of the different monthly columns.
flowerofsin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. I did enjoy picking up Newtype when I had the chance. I am curious to see this new magazine that they are going to put out, though.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
reddrake wrote:
I was about to renew my subscription this week. No point now. I really enjoyed a lot of the different monthly columns.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if ADV continued those columns into a new magazine. Most of them were produced specifically for Newtype USA under ADV's editorial direction- so they can probably roll them into the new publication with little or no changes. I think stuff from Newtype Japan like CLAMP's Chipmunk Cheeks might not make it, though ADV might be able to come up with a replacement- likewise, they still have the rights to Kobato.

I'm not too worried, as it seems moreso like ADV is simply tidying up corners to reflect the actuality of the size of the market. Concentrating on keeping things more profitable will probably help- likewise, launching a new magazine might lead to a sales increase for a good while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14