• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I agee and I'd like to state again that Il Teatrino is doing a darn fine job of following said manga. I also think it was much better off in Madhouse's hands animation-wise, however, I'm a big fan of Madhouse so take that as you will.
Neofit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Gunslinger Girl is not about the plot. It`s about the drama of the main characters. My view on which was destroyed by this new installment.
It`s true they didn't resurrect it, they just killed the image I had in my mind of Gunslinger Girl and the mood the original had set in.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
Neofit wrote:
Gunslinger Girl is not about the plot. It`s about the drama of the main characters. My view on which was destroyed by this new installment.

In your mind it is. But in the mind of other people, including the creator, the manga does have a continous plot, which Il Teatrino is able to bring out far more than the first season did.

And I wouldn't call the first season the "original" since the origin will always be the manga and once again...this season is very true to it (maybe more so than the first one, given how things ended).
8JF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I still can't make up my mind about this series after watching six episodes. This story arc from the manga is rather exciting and enjoyable reading but I'm concerned about the pacing of the anime and its handling this plot. It doesn't have the same enjoyable feel and some scenes feel rushed while others are extended to for no apparent reason. spoiler[Why did they have to portray Rico as the one who broke the kaleidescope? The little squabble between the cyborgs hardly seems worth the effort and it fails miserably to try and humanize the girls. The cast of characters is already enourmous and these pointless snippets takes time away from dealing with the interesting terrorists or delving in the motivations for Croce brothers. ]

Thankfully the spectacularly awful fight scene animation is gone. It's not wire-fu smooth and flashy but the speed lines and (un)dramatic pause have not been repeated.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked the spoiler[fight between Rico and Henrietta over the kaleidescope, because it was so small and I think it does continue to show that they are still children in so many ways.] But I do agree that showing it did take time away from showing other cast members, which it would be good to do more of since this season has introduced a fair number of characters and it can be a bit hard to keep track of them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I highly doubt she's dead.

spoiler[We know that she isn't dead.] That's the problem because it changes the ending of the first season, where it was spoiler[heavily implied that she died, despite the fact that she clearly doesn't in the manga.]

Edit after watching ep 5

I think this episode did a lot to undo the issues surrounding the spoiler[non-death] because Angelica's story really is heartbreaking. spoiler[It's so sad to see how much she has changed and how all the adults who really loved her are changing too.]
This is confusing as spoiler[it was heavily hinted that all the girls would not live very long because of the stress and strain on their young bodies caused by the cyborism. The experiment was failing.] but you say the manga shows differently? I hate it when they do that. It's so unnecessary. Rolling Eyes
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is confusing as spoiler[it was heavily hinted that all the girls would not live very long because of the stress and strain on their young bodies caused by the cyborism. The experiment was failing.] but you say the manga shows differently? I hate it when they do that. It's so unnecessary. Rolling Eyes

I don't see what you find confusing about this. spoiler[The lifespan of the girls is still known to be short. The only thing that is different between the anime and the manga is that no one (other than Elsa) has died yet.

However, I don't think the short lifespans was ever proof that the experiment was failing, just that it wasn't perfected. This is continued in the manga by the introduction of a second generation of cyborgs who are expected to outlast the first group.
]
square721bt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, they are raping this show!
8JF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I don't see what you find confusing about this. spoiler[The lifespan of the girls is still known to be short. The only thing that is different between the anime and the manga is that no one (other than Elsa) has died yet.

However, I don't think the short lifespans was ever proof that the experiment was failing, just that it wasn't perfected. This is continued in the manga by the introduction of a second generation of cyborgs who are expected to outlast the first group.
]

spoiler[ Chapters 45-49 of the mange or GN 9 all deal with the actual death of Angelica. And Jean says the expected life spans of the second generation is 5-7 years. There is also heavy handed hinting Henrietta is on the way down too.]
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
You... really should consider labeling what the spoiler is as opposed to just giving a big block of black text, considering that it's for a chapter of the manga that isn't released in English and in a topic dedicated to an anime series that finished spoiler[at a plot point before the latest English manga release.]

I watched about 3 minutes of season 2 before deciding that I'm going to go blind if I had to read the subs that I found. Part of the problem with the series is that it opens with Giuseppe and Hillshire, whose designs differ drastically from the first season and the manga. Hillshire looks youthful and vigorous, lacking the thin, haggard look, and Giuseppe has much larger eyes than in the manga. The result is a loss of that narrow eyed, jaded look that they had in the manga, which Hillshire had since v. 1, and Giuseppe started to adopt as time went on (he did seem like a fresh youth in v. 1, though with eyes that aren't nearly as large). I looked at the official websites, and the designs for the girls aren't bad. They did look like they had larger eyes than in the manga, but physically speaking, they are closer than the Madhouse designs. The handlers, on the other hand, I'll have to give to the Madhouse designs for faithfulness.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
I watched about 3 minutes of season 2 before deciding that I'm going to go blind if I had to read the subs that I found.

You must have been looking at the group other than Triad who was releasing it (not sure if they still are). Those were possible the worst fansubs I have ever seen. But there are better ones.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Finally there is a sub out for episode 6!

Just episode 6? I haven't seen this anime for so long that I've forgotten about it until I saw this thread. I probably have to rewatch the first 5 episodes too (or at least look for episode summaries) because I don't remember all of the details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Triad is focusing on Kanji so GSG is coming out very slowly. Hopefully they will hurrah things along, since it's not as long as the other series.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Managed to see the rest of the series on Thursday, albeit with crappy English subs I found on Veoh. But, I made sense of the dialogue well enough to know what was going on. Without spoiling too much, the second half of the series spoiler[goes into detail on some plotlines not addressed in the first series.]

It's been a couple months since Funimation licensed the series. Wouldn't continuing to sub the series lead Triad into problems with Funi?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's been a couple months since Funimation licensed the series. Wouldn't continuing to sub the series lead Triad into problems with Funi?
Probably, which is why Triad's not subbing it anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9