• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tetsusaiga or Tessaiga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:13 am Reply with quote
Lately I've been watching Inuyasha fansubs, and there seems to some debate over how to pronounce Inuyasha's sword. Can some one help me out and tell what the correct way to pronounce his sword?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:22 am Reply with quote
Well...and this is pulling from my exceedingly limited knowledge of Japanese linguistics...but here's what I gather.

They're both right.

You see, whenever an extended consonant sound is written in Katakana, a smaller-than-normal "tsu" kana is inserted next to the kana whose consonant is to be lengthened. So, if you just take the "tsu" as a marker and glance over it, the sword's name would read "Tessaiga" (note, two S's mean that sound is lengthened). But if you read every single kana, it would be "Tetsusaiga."

Of course, I'm probably way off...but that's what I remember reading from somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:26 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well...and this is pulling from my exceedingly limited knowledge of Japanese linguistics...but here's what I gather.

They're both right.

You see, whenever an extended consonant sound is written in Katakana, a smaller-than-normal "tsu" kana is inserted next to the kana whose consonant is to be lengthened. So, if you just take the "tsu" as a marker and glance over it, the sword's name would read "Tessaiga" (note, two S's mean that sound is lengthened). But if you read every single kana, it would be "Tetsusaiga."

Of course, I'm probably way off...but that's what I remember reading from somewhere.

Thats what I read too, I just wanted to ask the forums for some reassurance. This question also implies sesshoumaru's name as well, but its basically the same answer.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:36 am Reply with quote
Ahh yes, THIS question again. Truthfully I think Tessaiga is the more accurate way to romanize the name, but I prefer the Tetsusaiga spelling. Seeing Tessaiga and Tenseiga next to each other in print might cause a little confusion since people who speed read will see the same word twice (Te-s-iga and Te-s-iga), so having the 't' in there makes the two stand out as different names.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:45 am Reply with quote
I think the Tetsusaiga is pronounced with that extra t in it. That's how they say it on the t.v. aired show. But, hey, only way to find out the correct way to say it is to ask Rumiko Takahashi (appoligies if I spelled her name wrong), or the people who did the show (sorry, I'm not to sure of that either Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
I think the Tetsusaiga is pronounced with that extra t in it. That's how they say it on the t.v. aired show. But, hey, only way to find out the correct way to say it is to ask Rumiko Takahashi (appoligies if I spelled her name wrong), or the people who did the show (sorry, I'm not to sure of that either Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ).

That extra t is how they pronounce it in the dub. I talking about how they pronounce it in the japanese version.
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Sesshoumaru sama wrote:
Carol Maxwell wrote:

That extra t is how they pronounce it in the dub. I talking about how they pronounce it in the japanese version.

In Japanese version its pronounced Tessaiga with the "s" sound lengthened. In English dub its pronounced Tetsuaiga with the t. But as Nagisa already pointed out, the "tsu" is used to lengthen the "s" sound. So they are both, in sense of katakana, correct.
Kinda confusing... Anime dazed
Tsukasa1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Sesshoumaru sama wrote:
Lately I've been watching Inuyasha fansubs, and there seems to some debate over how to pronounce Inuyasha's sword. Can some one help me out and tell what the correct way to pronounce his sword?

They are both correct. It's kinda confusing. I seen them both used. Cool

Tsukasa1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Tetsusaiga is pronounce te-ts-sai-ga.
て te as in ten
つ ts as in cats
さ sa as in sat
い i pronouce as eye
が ga as gallon
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty certain it's Tessaiga. A katana small tsu is not the same as a large tsu. Teh American pronounciation on T.V. is just a mistake, plain and simple; just another thing for fans to obsess over Very Happy
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Viz will translate or spell for that matter of the following:Bakuryuuha,Kongousouha,Sou'unga,etc. As you guys said before both Tessaiga and Tetsusaiga are right names and pronuications,and I concur with all of ya. [Edited for spelling of Sou'unga.]

Last edited by Inu-Yasha on Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm no expert in Japanese, nor am I an Inuyasha fan, but...

If the tsu is a small one, I don't think "Tetsusaiga" is a correct spelling or pronunciation. If it's a small tsu, I think it *has* to denote a double consonant, in which case "Tessaiga" is correct.

If it's a normal-size tsu, then it's the other way around. It *must* be "Tetsusaiga."

In either case, I'm fairly certain that only one or the other is correct, not both of them. When tsu is being used to denote a double consonant, that's *all* that it means. It is not to be pronounced. It sounds here like it's a small tsu (but like I said, I'm not an Inuyasha fan, so I don't know that, myself), so it would be Tessaiga.

But, like I said...I'm no Japanese expert, so if someone knows better than I do, please speak up. I'm always for learning something new.
Tokaji Kyoden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Tetsusaiga is the proper pronunciation. The thing about this is that the "..su.." is not really pronounced. It's more Tetssaiga.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:32 pm Reply with quote
"Bakuryuuha"

I think they had that one as "Dragon Twister" in the PS1 game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1