• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Immense is Your Manga Collection?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I haven't counted in a while. It's over 100, I know that. Maybe 150? Mostly English, but quite a few in French, and twelve or so in Japanese. So not very immense.
Panzerkunst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
You guys are veterans.. *_*
RoseWhip

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Y'all are intense...I currently have exactly 107 manga volumes, taking up a very proud two shelves in my bookcase Smile
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Panzerkunst wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
I mean, wow.
I have 13 volumes of manga and 7 anime-related novels (6 Vampire Hunter D novels and the first Kino no Tabi novel), for a grand total of twenty. Anime cry
My DVD collection is a bit more impressive (215 discs, last I checked), but both collections still have a long way to go.

Many of you have described much larger collections- I hope I can someday amass a collection of manga that's at least over 100 volumes!
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Panzerkunst wrote:

Don't worry I'm a beginner too!

I have 2 series completed:

Fushigi Yugi (18 volumes)
Millenium Snow (2 volumes)

And 3 series incomplete:

Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden (6 volumes)
Chobits (1-2 volumes)
Ouran High School Host Club (1 volume)

And Clamp's special collection of short stories Shirahime-Syo.

I just startes to collect all of Fushigi's volume last year and went into lots of trouble, but it's worth it though.

That's about it, I'm planning to complete the others this year. When it comes to manga I'm really picky in art and style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I've been collecting manga for over 8 years and even I'm overwhelmed by some of the numbers people are throwing out.
Ichi Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
My collection is small at the moment. But once i get a job i plan on making it huge.

I have 1-10 of Rurouni Kenshin
1-3 of Death Note
1-3 of GTO The Early Years
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
My collection is so immense that it practically fills up my room. I really do not remember the last time I counted but I estimate it to be at about 200-250 volumes (including artbooks, special boxes, and light novels). I even had to go to IKEA to buy two bookshelves to handle this collection. To date, I have yet to reclaim my room.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm a packrat, and I started 10 years ago when the availability of manga was limited, to say the least, so I never wanted to let anything go - I even still have my French Dragonballs, even though nothing happens in most of them. But even so, I keep all my Japanese manga because it would be a pain and expensive to replace, and who knows, someday someone might ask a question about Gin no Oni, and I would hate to have gotten rid of it.

Now I try to get less manga because I don't have the space - so I don't read shounen much anymore (too many long series) and I try to get bunkou (the smaller re-releases which contain about 2 volumes of regular size tanks). I also don't get anime anymore because of time, money and space constraints.

One day when I have more money I'll get custom bookshelves so my books take up less space - until then, my manga collection is in boxes, in the closet, at my parents' house, and looking garish in my living room(the wall of red-lettered bookspines can hurt your eyes).[/i]
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I would hardly call it immense, but my collection counts between 200 and 300 volumes. Like some other people here I'm in desperate need of more bookshelves!
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
i would guess I'm in the 200-300 range, although I plan to sell about 50 of my manga ASAP. I still have shelf space left and will have more once I've gotten rid of some of them. Now I'm starting to just mooch off the library, but manga sales can still get the best of me...
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
hack_benjamin22 wrote:
Quote:

I've been collecting manga for over 8 years and even I'm overwhelmed by some of the numbers people are throwing out.

Heh....you don't want to hear from me, then. Anime smile + sweatdrop I've been collecting for about 12 years now, and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 graphic novels, plus about 4000 in standard comic book format from back in the Dark Ages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
While I might have read over a thousand titles, I've only got less than 300 volumes, for I don't have to (and don't want to) collect popular shonen titles that are available at any manga rental. On the other hand, many of my collections are really niched titles that will disappear from the market and no longer be available e.g. Meibutsu! Tabitetsu Tomo no Kai, Discommunication, and Maid Shokun! According to my friends in the industry, unsold manga eventually end up in paper mills for recycling when sales can no longer support storage cost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
According to my friends in the industry, unsold manga eventually end up in paper mills for recycling when sales can no longer support storage cost.

At least it's friendly to the environment, but hurtful to the fan if something they're looking for isn't available because it's recycled. I've been to some bookstores in Japan where they just had piles and piles of the same stuff, like Yugioh.
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
157 volumes for me, I think. Most of which are Detective Conan Japanese volumes 9-59. xD;; (At the time I had Case Closed 1-8, so when I saw the Japanese volumes at a con, I simply bought from 9 upwards to 45, and recently bought 46-59.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10