• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Immense is Your Manga Collection?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Been collecting manga since I was a kid... so I got around 800-900 volumes. Though admittedly a good 30-40% of them are shonen titles mostly from Shonen Jump (I have complete collection of Dragon Ball, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hikaru no Go, Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, Flame of Recca, Rave Master. Also up to the latest volume of Naruto, Bleach, and One piece). Once, I thought that Shonen Jump stuffs are the best manga... until I have been 'enlightened' around one and a half years ago. Now I am MUCH more selective about shonen manga... though there are some that I still collect for completion's sake.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I have 65 volumes on my shelf. A few are completed series. Right now, I'm only collecting Yotstuba&!, Fruits Basket and Hellsing. And frankly, I'm glad because my wallet can use the break. Very Happy

-Murph
Althalus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 am Reply with quote
Just bought no. 2400 yesterday. (list, some pictures, shopping log)

~Althalus
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Heh....you don't want to hear from me, then. Anime smile + sweatdrop I've been collecting for about 12 years now, and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 graphic novels, plus about 4000 in standard comic book format from back in the Dark Ages.

I got ya beat hehe. Been collecting them for 13 years myself and collecting comics for oh....I'd say roughly 20 years. I have an old hope chest that is full of stacks upon stack upon stacks of comics. I have 3 long boxes, like in comics stores, of just current stuff from the past 5 years or so. As for manga volumes......I don't know. I'm going to go count every one right now and find out. The grand total comes up to 727. There's more I've read that I haven't bought of course. I'd have no rooom if I bought everything I wanted.

edit---Just to be clear this also includes imports I've gotten online or at cons too. Can't read them since I don't speak Japanese but I can follow along well enough.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
I own a mere 250. Considering I don't focus heavily on any one area of anime-related purchases, but spread it out among manga, DVDs, and merchandise, I'd say that's pretty good, though still a bit small, considering I've collected manga for 6 years now.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
I've got 35 volumes of manga at the moment. I've been focusing on bulking up my DVD collection lately, which is slightly larger with 58 volumes of various series, but I recently got around to buying the rest of Appleseed (finally), and I'm collecting Fullmetal Alchemist, NANA, and Shaman King. I usually wait to buy manga until it goes on sale, though.

A somewhat outdated picture of my shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the size of my collection but I guess around 300 to 400 volumes. I've been collecting for about 7 years now. It all started with Inuyasha and that one is STILL going! Shocked Some of my completed titles include Death Note, Angel Sanctuary, Maison Ikkoku, Buddha, Graviation, Cyborg 009, and many more. Plus all of the completed 5 volumes or less series. The problem is I keep adding more series! That and I'm a pack rat myself so I can't sell any of my volumes. I work to feed my habit.

And for those shelf space challenged (like myself), Target sells shelves that you can stack however you want (but the shelves are made out of a metal grid). I found that by placing them in a square like configuration (stacking two piles of books in the back and front) you can store a lot of manga. Not as great as wood but cost effective. Wink
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:

~Althalus

Shocked
Wow- great pictures, mate. That's an awesome collection!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:

~Althalus

You are very international my friend. How has your wallet been holding out? Laughing
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:

~Althalus

How many languages do you speak?? O.O Geez. Hey, it looks like you have stuff in English that isn't available....in English? I could just be stupid. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
hmm.. ANN says I have 899, but I know I have more.. there's a few boxes that weren't cataloged and a only a handful of duplicates. Meh... The only company that's driving me nuts with the manga is Tokyopop... that's too much manga for me to spend on Anime cry
Althalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You are very international my friend. How has your wallet been holding out? Laughing

Poorly... entirely poorly. Especially the French publish just too much of the good stuff. They get the largest part of my manga money these days... ^^;

Not a Jellyfish wrote:
How many languages do you speak??

Well, I'm German and I speak English and French. Also a little bit of Dutch, Japanese and Spanish but not enough to, say, actually read a manga, unfortunately.

Not a Jellyfish wrote:
O.O Geez. Hey, it looks like you have stuff in English that isn't available....in English? I could just be stupid. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Which ones do you mean?

~Althalus
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:
Which ones do you mean?

Maybe she might be referring to British releases?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Althalus wrote:
Which ones do you mean?

Maybe she might be referring to British releases?

Apart from Fanfare's stuff, most of what's available in Britain are US imports. Tokyopop have a London office but they don't publish anything here that they don't also publish in the States and there's Tanoshimi but all their books are just re-prints of Del Ray titles (both companies are owned by Random House) that are identical in every regard to the US versions.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I got about 30 volumes right now, not alot, but since my manga collection AND my collection of regular books has been expanding my bookself has been filling up fast. I have had to downsize/find interesting solutions for storing my stuffed animals and I need to stick another self in soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10