• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Immense is Your Manga Collection?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
according to ANN i have 42 vol.s of manga
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Just bought #102 the other day. That's counting the Azumanga Daioh omnibus as one but not counting the 3+ years of Shonen Jump, so take that as you will. Seems like I've been collecting a little faster than some of you since I've only been buying for two years now.

Lately I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit. I'll probably get a little more bold once I figure out how to avoid the mushy, drippy romance (regular romance is just fine). Though, if I keep this up I'll have to get creative with this itty bitty room of mine.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
I think I've had at one point, up to 700-800 volumes of manga (maybe more, too bad I didn't count), but my room is so small that I sold most of it off. I have about 300 or so of my absolute faves, although new series keep magically appearing on my shelf.... Laughing
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
although new series keep magically appearing on my shelf.... Laughing

Hahahaha that's a funny way to say it.

Almost everyone has their manga volumes up to 100. I can't even picture how it would look like if their was a hundred books in my room, I would worry where to put it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
My collection isn't huge or anything (as I said before, around 150 or so), but I have been forced to stack manga on my desk. Not the best study environment.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
O.O Geez. Hey, it looks like you have stuff in English that isn't available....in English? I could just be stupid. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Which ones do you mean?

~Althalus

The main one I noticed was Tramps Like Us volume 14. I was super jealous. But I just noticed a slight difference in the spine, so I guess they have separate releases. I think I may have also been slightly confused by the surprisingly large number of titles in English rather than the native tongue. I noticed Handsome Girl, as well. But I don't remember any others off the top of my head.
Althalus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Tramps Like Us volume 14 [...] Handsome Girl

Oh, those are both German editions. "Handsome Girl" was chosen because the original title was "Handsome na Kanojo" and they wanted to keep the "handsome". So they made it all english because a mixture of german and english would have sounded terrible.

The unfortunate "Tramps like us" was taken from the US edition (since the german one is from Tokyopop as well), which had started half a year earlier. But while TP US skipped from bimonthly to quarterly early on and finally to 3-a-year after volume 8, TP DE kept it bimonthly almost all the way. Only the two final volumes were quarterly. Thus it was finished a year before the US edition.

~Althalus
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
500something volumes and I usually sell series I don't find worth keeping. 50-60 volumes in Dutch, 110-120 in German, a few Japanese manga I can't really read and the rest is in English.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Tramps Like Us volume 14 [...] Handsome Girl

Oh, those are both German editions. "Handsome Girl" was chosen because the original title was "Handsome na Kanojo" and they wanted to keep the "handsome". So they made it all english because a mixture of german and english would have sounded terrible.

The unfortunate "Tramps like us" was taken from the US edition (since the german one is from Tokyopop as well), which had started half a year earlier. But while TP US skipped from bimonthly to quarterly early on and finally to 3-a-year after volume 8, TP DE kept it bimonthly almost all the way. Only the two final volumes were quarterly. Thus it was finished a year before the US edition.

~Althalus

Yeah, I brought up Handsome Girl, because I knew the English translated title would be Handsome Girlfriend. I'm a big Wataru Yoshizumi fan, so I was really confused as to how you had it seemingly in English. I find it very interesting that the English titles are used in other countries. Thanks for clarifying for me.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
jgreen wrote:

Heh....you don't want to hear from me, then. Anime smile + sweatdrop I've been collecting for about 12 years now, and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 graphic novels, plus about 4000 in standard comic book format from back in the Dark Ages.

I got ya beat hehe. Been collecting them for 13 years myself and collecting comics for oh....I'd say roughly 20 years. I have an old hope chest that is full of stacks upon stack upon stacks of comics. I have 3 long boxes, like in comics stores, of just current stuff from the past 5 years or so.

Oh, if you include American comics, the size of my collection probably triples. I have about 30 long boxes of comics total (probably 10 or 12 of which are manga, if I had to guess), plus two bookshelves of non-manga graphic novels.

psycho101 wrote:
edit---Just to be clear this also includes imports I've gotten online or at cons too. Can't read them since I don't speak Japanese but I can follow along well enough.

I only have maybe a dozen GNs in the original Japanese. The only two I really look at are the two that aren't available in English: vol. 1 of Nobunaga, and vol. 1 of Goldenboy. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
purpledragon42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
Well, if you're just looking at manga and nothing else, I have a little over 1300. If you add in manhwa, ameri-manga & novels based on manga then it's closer to 1550. Add in my other assorted GNs and the total comes closer to 1650. Of course, I've been collecting for almost 7 years and have had lots of disposable income for a lot of that time. These days I have to be a little pickier about what I buy. Although, honestly, there are plenty of things I willingly sacrifice in order to spend more on manga. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shirubie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I have about 55 manga volumes, a mix of english and french titles, and 25 american Shonen jump magazines. Only two complete series: Sailor Moon and Magic knight Rayearth. I'm reading Gunnm: Last Order right now, waiting for vol 10 to come out in french. Picture.

My brother's collection is more impressive. He has complete series of GTO, Fist of the north star and City Hunter.[/url]
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
At one point, I had about 500 volumes of manga. Although i have sold about half of it off for different reasons. I'm about to sell more of it to pay for my up coming wedding. Which is painful because I am down to the series that I really enjoy. Sad
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Over 500 volumes. I stopped counting, but it is more than 500. But apart from this I have only 20 Anime DVDs.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
My ANN list is outdated Embarassed

I have around 170 volumes of manga now. I've only read about 60 of them though Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10