• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyoto Animation...what is it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
FYI Clodus, it's probably not worth your effort to try to debate that issue with Porcupine at this point. It has become abundantly clear to most people who were interested in this thread that Porcupine came into the discussion (for, it was in fact a discussion before his arrival) with the mindset that he still currently holds and is only willing to see 'evidence' (a term I use loosely) that supports his view. To respond to him is to let him win by letting him know that he is irritating us with his idiocy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
Let me first say that the 2 shows mentioned, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan and Demonbane. There aren't always just 1 group fansubbing them.
Yeah. The reason I didn't mention it is that I was only able to find one complete version for each show, so I'm guessing that most people who have seen the fansubs of these saw the same version I did. That might not be the case though. The other reason I didn't mention the group name explicitly is because I wasn't sure if it was okay with forum rules (it might be considered an aid or link to finding fansubs). When I mentioned the Haruhi fansub earlier, I purposefully omitted the group's name but instead tried to describe the specs/filesize of the file I got because I saw many versions available for download.

But assuming it's okay to do so, the fansubbing groups in question were Triad for Dokuro season one, Philanthropy for Dokuro season two, and Shinsen-Subs for Demonbane. If it's not okay to name the groups then a mod can just edit this post I guess or say something.

[EDIT: It's considered acceptable to mention names, as long as it's not in a "go here to download this!" context and avoids group politics/wars. ~Zalis]

Also, I apologize to Vortextk if he is annoyed because I continue to discuss this side-issue in his Kyoto Animation thread. If he wants me to stop and says so again, I will stop (or at least try to). The way I see it though, this thread had become mostly inactive anyway, so I don't think it is too terrible that the side discussion continues.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
The way I see it though, this thread had become mostly inactive anyway, so I don't think it is too terrible that the side discussion continues.

I should really let this go, and I don't care any more that you want to argue with everyone and keep trying to find things wrong with fansubs, but I hope you're keenly aware of why conversation ended on the OP's topic. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
The way I see it though, this thread had become mostly inactive anyway, so I don't think it is too terrible that the side discussion continues.

I should really let this go, and I don't care any more that you want to argue with everyone and keep trying to find things wrong with fansubs, but I hope you're keenly aware of why conversation ended on the OP's topic. Neutral

I cry myself to sleep at night.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

I cry myself to sleep at night.

Anyway, back on topic........

I have recently realized how big animation differences can be, especially with the newer anime compared to older ones. One thing that I have really noticed is that when panning (or the background is moving moderately fast or slowly past) many anime have quite noticeable...jaggedness animation. Another is when characters are walking or running and their whole body is shown, KyoAni's works look more fluid and realistic compared to most other anime I've seen. I'm not saying that all other animation studio's works are like that, though.
heen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
A little off topic but did Kyoto just cut-off the Full Metal Panic series? Will they have a 4th season?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure, as others are as well, that in Lucky Star when the characters make a nod to "making a 4th season of that", it's Kyoto hinting at FMP 4th season. Their track record seems to be only 1 series at a time and Clannad is still airing with Haruhi viral advertising out. I'd imagine Haruhi would come before FMP but I don't doubt atleast one more season of FMP is forthcoming. I don't think there is actual proof of a when/if a new season is coming out but when there is, it'll be up on ANN at that time.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
On topic I tend to agree with Westlo here that I want to see something from Kyoto Animation that is original before I decide if I think they are truly teh greatest. Actually, no, I'm the kind of person that never holds one studio over another in terms of quality. I may tend to watch more works by one studio, but that just means they offer me more of what I liked. Kyoto Animation tends to do Visual Novel and Slap-Stick Comedy/Melodrama series that I don't really care for (Other than Haruhi and FMP which I preferred the first season of rather than the latter two anyway), hence why I tend to not care for them that much. All the animation quality in the world isn't going to change a persons mind if they aren't interested in the story to begin with.

And on that matter, much of their work does come from elsewhere and is adapted. Now as a visual novel adapter I think Kyoto Animation has a distinct talent, while the other studios either don't care, or just don't want to bother doing the story justice. I think it's less them having top-tier writing and scripting so much as them just actually giving a damn while the other studios that venture into the dominion of the type of genre Kyoto Animation prefers to do (Light Novel/Visual Novel) adaptations won't go to as great lengths to see a quality product go out the door. Kyoto Animation may have found their niche to call their own, but it's still just a niche. They focus on their specialty and target audience while other Studios focus on their specialty and target audience. It would be neat to see that change a little more, but that's something we'll have to wait and see come to pass or not.

Other than that I think everybody has basically brought the discussion home with a distinct lack of fanboyism and such that usually plagues talk about this studio. Hooray for thinking and reason.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with doing adaptions. Heck I'll flat out call Madhouse the greatest animation studio ever if in the next 5-10 years they adapt the mangas 20th Century Boys and Miria Nikki as well as they did Monster.

Quote:
All the animation quality in the world isn't going to change a persons mind if they aren't interested in the story to begin with

Exactly but you have to admit if would've been nice if KyoAni did Spice and Wolf instead of IMAGIN. I really wish KyoAni do branch out a lot, ef and now True Tears has made me start to get sick of the Key "formula" and there is so many great light novels they can pick up and adapt.

Also abunai I have no idea why you edited my post. I mentioned Gundam 00 and Ghost Hound, I mentioned the h.264 codec, I mentioned file size. All of which Porcupine has done multiple times since and unlike him I didn't mention any fansub groups names at all.

How the fudge is this okay

Quote:
I downloaded an Episode 10 fansub of Haruhi, maybe not the most common version as it was slightly bigger, a 250 megabyte Xvid. I also downloaded Episode 1 of Kodomo no Jikan, a typical 180 megabyte letterbox-downscaled 700x400 Xvid; and Episode 1 of Tales of Symphonia, a 250 megabyte anamorphic widescreen DVD-resolution H264.

But what I posted isn't?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
There's nothing wrong with doing adaptions. Heck I'll flat out call Madhouse the greatest animation studio ever if in the next 5-10 years they adapt the mangas 20th Century Boys and Miria Nikki as well as they did Monster.

Quote:
All the animation quality in the world isn't going to change a persons mind if they aren't interested in the story to begin with

Exactly but you have to admit if would've been nice if KyoAni did Spice and Wolf instead of IMAGIN. I really wish KyoAni do branch out a lot, ef and now True Tears has made me start to get sick of the Key "formula" and there is so many great light novels they can pick up and adapt.

Also abunai I have no idea why you edited my post. I mentioned Gundam 00 and Ghost Hound, I mentioned the h.264 codec, I mentioned file size. All of which Porcupine has done multiple times since and unlike him I didn't mention any fansub groups names at all.

How the fudge is this okay

Quote:
I downloaded an Episode 10 fansub of Haruhi, maybe not the most common version as it was slightly bigger, a 250 megabyte Xvid. I also downloaded Episode 1 of Kodomo no Jikan, a typical 180 megabyte letterbox-downscaled 700x400 Xvid; and Episode 1 of Tales of Symphonia, a 250 megabyte anamorphic widescreen DVD-resolution H264.

But what I posted isn't?

Wait True Tears follows the key formula?! Hmmm, I guess that explains why it's so popular but Klash and Sky told me I shouldn't bother. I wonder if people will get as tired of it as I do. Personally Kanon was more than enough for me for one year before all of that stuff that came between it and Clannad. By the time Clannad rolled around the formula had already been done to death by studios that aren't Kyoani and it didn't help with me trying to at least get into the series rather than blow it off outright.

Sometimes it also seems certain formulas like Slice of Life (All Female Comedy) or Visual Novel Adaptation (Dramedy) automatically shoe you in for success, market penetration, high user ratings (not TV rating but on websites like this where you're scored out of ten) and praise whereas others either don't or worse. You really have to be doing the "right thing" to be a popular series these days it seems. Though Spice And Wolf a very atypical series in this day and age is doing well so maybe my theory is not entirely true.

Still it seems that in online communities that the two aformentioned genres are the be all end all as long as they follow the right formula. Kyoto Animation has found themselves a very lucrative one, that's for sure. That the two series they've done this year fall into the two formulas I've mentioned that seem by far this years most celebrated hasn't gone unnoticed by me. I of course mean the that house Minami-Ke, EF, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Lucky Star and the like. There was but one exception I think all year and that was Gurren Lagann. That was the only series I can recall that was popular online and in the blogging communites that wasn't one of the two genres. Though since blogs tend to copy pasta each other maybe it just appeared that way. Well as always when I think to much I end up with more questions to answer than I provide answers to them. Confused

By the way, if Madhouse or anybody adapts 20th Century Boys I'll be happy. I read some at a friends house once and found it incredibly engrossing. Naoki Urusawa really is a genius isn't he?
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
Oh I didn't word that well enough, let me try again. Ef and True Tears don't follow the Key formula, which honestly I'm just tired of at the moment. Especially since I watched Kanon last August/September and than re watched Air. Clannad felt like mix of everything I've seen before from them and even though it could be the best one yet I just can't motivate myself to continue. I'm just sick of the Key formula and seeing the quality shows like ef and True Tears that brake away from that formula is nice.

I'm probably saying the equivalent of blasphemy to the legion of KyoAni fans but I'll take the first 6 episodes of True Tears over the first 6 of Air+Kanon+Clannad any day of the week. I find it that much better, better characterization and emotional involvement/attachment. Also the True Tears anime has nothing to do with the visual novel so it's even more impressive that it's all original work. Also reading through the last 2-3 episode discussions the amount of people saying TT > Clannad are increasing with each episode.

Ef also is exceptional, while SHAFT's animation is nowhere near being as good as KyoAni it's much more artsy and innovative in ef than anything KyoAni has ever done.

I know you're not a fan of the genre but instead of force feeding yourself with the next KyoAni Key title like Little Busters (I will put a hole in my wall if this comes out before the next FMP) gives those two titles a shot. They both start to hit their straps around the ep 4-5 mark, these sorta shows can't exactly start off with a bang...

Quote:
There was but one exception I think all year and that was Gurren Lagann

Claymore was pretty damn popular as well, also I don't know why you're listing Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei with those other shows, it's not exactly slice of life like LS and Minami-ke. Also as shown by finishing last in "that" award thread on "that" site (I think I was more disappointed with this result than SnM finishing second to Clannad in best animation) it's not as popular as it should be.

Quote:
By the way, if Madhouse or anybody adapts 20th Century Boys I'll be happy. I read some at a friends house once and found it incredibly engrossing. Naoki Urusawa really is a genius isn't he?

Yes he is and I'm really looking forward to the Yawara anime being released, sometime soon I hope. I just hope 20th Century Boys is treated as well by whoever ends up doing it as Madhouse did with Monster.

Oh btw you should check out Miria Nikki when you get the chance, I'm sure you will love it... especially Yuno who has to be one of the most craziest/psychotic female characters ever. I'm praying that Madhouse or I.G get this... and only when it's finished.. damn monthly mangas :(
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
For a significant amount of time now, one of my favourite animation studios has been Kyoto Animation. The partnership with Key that has produced such gems as Air, Kanon and Clannad has provided me with some of my favourite anime moments.

I think the thing that stands out for me is the effort put into the quality of the animation. A KyoAni production is typically heavy on eye candy, and many individual frames are works of art in themselves.

However... There was a joke recently in Hayate the Combat Butler, the anime spoof episode, where Nagi suggested they steal staff from other production companies, like KyoAni do. I'm not well versed with the ins and outs of production studios, but is it the case that KyoAni do cherrypick animators from other studios? Is this common practice in the animation industry, or is is considered a bit shady?

Of course, I'm basing my entire assumption on a joke made in a parody anime, so I might be completely wrong here Smile

Just wondered if anyone knew of that was the case? I certainly won't think any differently of KyoAni productions regardless of what info comes to light... I was just curious as to how they seem to get it so very right so much of the time!

[Edit: Thanks to the moderator who moved my post to the appropriate thread ^^)

Last edited by dirkusbirkus on Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought the joke was just that they steal staff from KyoAni to make Nagi's anime; not it being a comparison to Kyoto Animations practices.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I thought the joke was just that they steal staff from KyoAni to make Nagi's anime; not it being a comparison to Kyoto Animations practices.

You're 100% right upon rewatching.

Thanks for cleaning up my misconception Smile
wizardz199

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes there is anime out there that looks good but the story is crap, and sometimes there is anime out there that does not look so good, but its story is extremely good. I understand though what you are trying to drive at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7