• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maison Ikkoku is terrific.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I gotta give it to Rumiko Takahashi. I'm a guy and I don't usually read this kind of manga but after I read the first 3 chapters I simply couldn't put it down (I read the whole first volume in one day). Maison Ikokku could very well be some of the best and most satisfying manga I've ever read. Why? First of all it's about a poor student (which is something I can relate too Wink ) who falls in love with his's appartements manger and it's incredibly well written and it's very easy to follow the story even even with the all twists in the storyline. It's also incredibly funny Smile ! I found myself laughing hard every few seconds. The art is great (Kyoko is hot Very Happy ) and really compliments the story. The supporting characters are very well fleshed out and are very colorful and have great personalities. I ended up really caring about them. You can really feel that Rumiko loves her characters and cares about them too. There's a certain truth and warms in her writting. It also doesen't get predictable (I'm judging this from the first 14 chapters that I read. I cannot wait to get my hands on volume 2).
I know this manga isn't exactly new (and that's one of the reason's why I'm praising it so highly - I really want you to check it out evenif you saw the anime version) but I really recommend it to just about everyone. It's really great.
Harafan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you!!

I read the entire 14-volume first translation of the series, and it's the best guy-oriented romantic comedy I've ever read. The beginning is good, but by the time you get to around volume 6 or 7, it is so much better!

I'm glad Viz is releasing the rereleases every other month rather than the forever it took for the first version to come out!

Harafan
trigunner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku is a great series that is often underrated by many Manga fans. I try to get as many people as I can to read this great series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Roger! I'll be looking to find this one now, so they already have it translated or whats the deal?

After watching a few of the fansubs of Kimi Go Nozomu Eien I'm getting interested into the romance/comedy genre.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=3

Seems I may need to fix the images in that there feature, but otherwise you may want to read it.

-t
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, Tempest.
mahoro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
MI's manga is completely translated for many years now. As for the anime well bug Viz to release them faster and cheaper too!
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
trigunner wrote:
Maison Ikkoku is a great series that is often underrated by many Manga fans. I try to get as many people as I can to read this great series.

Well, ya'll got me to read it and I'm with you. I'm totally feeling Yusaku's situation. I love Takahashi's other works a ton but this one is just that much more amazing. Now, I got to figure out how to afford the anime. Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:54 am Reply with quote
mahoro wrote:
MI's manga is completely translated for many years now. As for the anime well bug Viz to release them faster and cheaper too!

I dunno, $50.00 for 12 episodes is a pretty decent price. And to consider the fact that buying from online retailers you can get them well below MSRP isn't all that bad.

As far as speed goes...

I WANT THEM NOW! THIS SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN OUT YEARS AGO!

There, now I feel better. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
MI was the first manga I ever collected and it is great! I always suggest to people because it really does appeal to everyone. It's unfortunate that it doesn't get as much recognition as Takahashi's other titles (I always cosplay as Kyoko and no one knows who I am ^^).

You really get to know and love the characters, not to mention that everyone is hilarious. I haven't seen the anime yet, but I plan to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1