• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Demon's Dream wrote:
Well, whatever is going on is affecting the Anime Network as well. My VOD schedule did not update this week, stuff dropped off, but nothing new was added.

Check with ANOD & your provider because we got a couple new episodes.

CCSYueh wrote:
{a bunch of stuff I agree with on why most of my purchases these days go to TRSI rather than ADV-directly except on the older properties and bargain box sets}

Oh, yeah, ADV used to also give you a "free gift" (Hello Kitty dvds? I want Hello Kitty dvds? I had Knights of the Zodiac in my order & they think their "gift is something I want? Ok, they did send me a Slayers movie. Of course I HAVE all the slayers movies)

ADV's dvds were always drilled or sliced to mark them as returned stock. I can't recall if the Geneon were thus marked.

I hate my Hello Kitty disc (so much that I refuse to propperly shelve it within the collection,) and another was a duplicate (leaving me 1-for-3 on freebies,) but I hate them drilling the cases more. Yes, it was always part of their disclaimers I just didn't like when they actually started doing it. Makes it look ugly, made it really hard to scan some titles for inventorying the collection, and I wish they wouldn't do anything that likely to mess up the disc inside. You want to "disfigure" the UPC to clearly mark it as non-returnable (not previously returned) and more likely to alert customers that a merchant was shopping from the clearance bin, fine (*wrestles his collector-side out of the room while it compains that any disfigurement is an affront*,) just don't go so far out of your way.

Regardless, despite the box disfigurement and the extra dollars paid for shipping that really work against any savings you might get versus TRSI (particularly since ADV tends to use UPS *spit*,) I kinda miss their holiday sales ... though granted the "it's an odd numbered week of the year" clearances did get a tad excessive.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Got my order from the ADV sale last night. The 4 Loki Ragnarok have yellow Best Buy price tags still on them with prices ranging from $22.99-$12.99. The 3 Gilgamesh also have regular Best Buy white tags with a price of $22.99 on them.

Didn't notice any drills or cuts, but I'll inspect closer when I unwrap them for watching tonight.
NinjaVash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
Has anyone heard any news, an update basically, on the situation with ADV's titles beyond their last statement? Thanks in advance.
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering the same thing. I suspect it will end up on the front page when something happens, but I guess everybody has speculated themselves to death. Or at least the temporary death of the topic.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Well now, its been almost 3 weeks and not a peep out of ADV. Has anyone seen any new ADV titles on store shelves? The titles are still off of their website. Me thinks it will be a long time if and when we see another adv title. Its funny that adv did better before they were given boatloads of cash to play with. Just goes to show ya, don't give otaku excess money they will just blow it Laughing Twisted Evil
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
I just discovered this thread. I have been wondering for some time why ADV removed titles from its web site. How painful! I hope they get everything worked out.

Luckily, I already received the complete Air TV box set, and Air Movie.

But, I pre-ordered Kanon 1, 2 and 3. I did a bundle purchase for Kanon 1, which means I was able to d/l the 4 episodes onto my hard drive in wmv format, while waiting for my disc to arrive.

The other Kanon discs I pre-ordered through Amazon. The projected release date for disc 2 is in several days. But now, Amazon says it is "out of stock," and will let people know when it becomes available.

Disc 3, according to Amazon, is scheduled for release on March 4. I don't see that happening, if disc 2 is still "temporarily out of stock."

Same for 5 cm per second, which I also pre-ordered.

I watched all 4 Kanon episodes (the wmv files) *again* today, just aching for Volume 2 to arrive.

Went again to ADVFilms website, to again ask them why I could no longer find my favorite animes on their website. Decided not to, as they haven't replied to my previous emails. So, I googled, and found the ADV threads here.

Gao, AND Uguu!!

Air TV was my favorite anime tv series. Kanon, judging by volume 1, was the perfect follow up series, for me. It is so very close to Air, in my mind and heart. Been ACHING for volume 2.

So, my question. If this temporary issue becomes permanent, is there an alternative to getting the ADV versions of these series? I mean, can I order straight from Japan? If so, will those episodes have English sub titles? Will they play on an "American" DVD player? (that's called R1, isn't it?)

I enjoyed ADV's voice actors, but apart from them, I generally prefer Japanese voice actors with English subtitles. So, getting Kanon in Japanese with English subtitles would not bother me in the least!

I wish ADV nothing but the best. I hope they can work through this, and bring back their awesome collection of titles.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

HaiKeba

ps: Ironically, my Kanon Visual Memories is scheduled to arrive at my home tomorrow. Maybe that will be a good omen Smile
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
HaiKeba wrote:
I mean, can I order straight from Japan?

Yes.

HaiKeba wrote:
If so, will those episodes have English sub titles?

Probably not. There is a list at http://animeondvd.com/ for Japanese DVD's with English subtitles and you can also search for the R2 review to see if it's listed there as well.

HaiKeba wrote:
Will they play on an "American" DVD player? (that's called R1, isn't it?)

Not without some minor adjustment. See http://www.videohelp.com/ and look up your specific model of player to find out what can be done to make it play other regions.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
Went shopping today and looked around several stores for animes in the process. ADVision has stopped putting out new DVDs. Besides the aforementioned titles and probably others as well, I noticed that Welcome to the NHK Vol. 3 and Gurren-Lagann have missed their release dates. I'm not positive but I don't think they were ever sent to stores, otherwise the comic shops (which generally get DVDs weeks in advance) should have had these titles on the shelf 1-3 weeks ago, but I didn't see them today.

The "new anime DVDs" shelf at Suncoast was looking pretty barren, I've never seen it half-empty before.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
Since someone bumped this thread, let me cross post my summary of just the facts that we know as of current date:

Timeline

1. ~Jan 27th - ADV suddenly removed a large number of titles from its website, by essentially partially rolling back the state of the site to a ~2 year old version.
2. Jan 28th - Animenewsnetwork noticed this, and when they asked ADV about it they got "no comment".
3. Jan 29th - An article by ICV2 was discovered using Google's cache that states that ADV sent out a letter to retailers saying that they are putting 37 titles on indefinite hiatus due to licensing issues with their licensing partner ARM corporation, which was set up by Sojitz 2 years ago when they invested in ADV to help ADV license
titles. The article implies that ADV no longer has permission to sell these titles and is working to get that back. The article never actually appeared on ICV2s real website, however.
4. Jan 30 - The head of the ICV2 website makes a statement that the mysterious article was written "just in case", but that circumstances had changed and it was no longer accurate (he did not say in what way it was no longer accurate).
5. Jan 30 - ADV finally makes a statement, saying that they are aware that fans are upset, and that they are "working through some short-term difficulties" but "fully intend to continue to release their series".
6. Feb 1 - A source at ADV leaks info to ICV2 about their decision to go with the Blu-ray disc format, and mentions that due to needing to obtain new HD masters, some titles may be delayed.
7. Feb 12th - ADV's scheduled releases on this date (including Kanon vol 2) do not arrive at retailers (although a few copies were shipped
to people who preorded before the beginning on this incident).
Robert's anime corner store states that all ADV titles are delayed, and will be rescheduled to a later date (he does not mention when, or how far).

Throughout: ADV has been completely silent about the issue with the exception of the one statement they made above. No reps or spokespeople have appeared on any message boards or made any statements publicly. No sites have received screener DVDs for reviews, either.

The current state: The titles are still removed from the website, and ADV does not seem to be shipping any DVDs of those series to retailers at all. No public statements have been made about why this is or how long it will continue.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Since someone bumped this thread, let me cross post my summary of just the facts that we know as of current date:

Timeline

1. ~Jan 27th - ADV suddenly removed a large number of titles from its website, by essentially partially rolling back the state of the site to a ~2 year old version.
2. Jan 28th - Animenewsnetwork noticed this, and when they asked ADV about it they got "no comment".
3. Jan 29th - An article by ICV2 was discovered using Google's cache that states that ADV sent out a letter to retailers saying that they are putting 37 titles on indefinite hiatus due to licensing issues with their licensing partner ARM corporation, which was set up by Sojitz 2 years ago when they invested in ADV to help ADV license
titles. The article implies that ADV no longer has permission to sell these titles and is working to get that back. The article never actually appeared on ICV2s real website, however.
4. Jan 30 - The head of the ICV2 website makes a statement that the mysterious article was written "just in case", but that circumstances had changed and it was no longer accurate (he did not say in what way it was no longer accurate).
5. Jan 30 - ADV finally makes a statement, saying that they are aware that fans are upset, and that they are "working through some short-term difficulties" but "fully intend to continue to release their series".
6. Feb 1 - A source at ADV leaks info to ICV2 about their decision to go with the Blu-ray disc format, and mentions that due to needing to obtain new HD masters, some titles may be delayed.
7. Feb 12th - ADV's scheduled releases on this date (including Kanon vol 2) do not arrive at retailers (although a few copies were shipped
to people who preorded before the beginning on this incident).
Robert's anime corner store states that all ADV titles are delayed, and will be rescheduled to a later date (he does not mention when, or how far).

Throughout: ADV has been completely silent about the issue with the exception of the one statement they made above. No reps or spokespeople have appeared on any message boards or made any statements publicly. No sites have received screener DVDs for reviews, either.

The current state: The titles are still removed from the website, and ADV does not seem to be shipping any DVDs of those series to retailers at all. No public statements have been made about why this is or how long it will continue.

A few others heard from other retaliers here (last page)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
After reading the timeline from the looks of it,I can honestly assume that ADV will NOT make a statement, and will not release any new titles until March, when both it's fiscal report for 2007 is made and when it launches PiQ.

Most likely, this license issue has already been cleared up. ADV only had temporary licenses on this titles so it's obvious they'd had to remove them from the market if it expired in February. Rest assured If I were anyone, I'd wait until March.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
After reading the timeline from the looks of it,I can honestly assume that ADV will NOT make a statement, and will not release any new titles until March, when both it's fiscal report for 2007 is made and when it launches PiQ.

Most likely, this license issue has already been cleared up. ADV only had temporary licenses on this titles so it's obvious they'd had to remove them from the market if it expired in February. Rest assured If I were anyone, I'd wait until March.

A) ADV is not a public company and does not release public quarterly fiscal reports.

B) I don't know where you're getting this "temporary licenses" idea from, but that concept does not exist in the physical media business.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

A) ADV is not a public company and does not release public quarterly fiscal reports.

B) I don't know where you're getting this "temporary licenses" idea from, but that concept does not exist in the physical media business.

March is the month that ADV always annouces new licenses and titles, all titles also recieve copyright changovers during March that is what I meant to say. Most likely, they will release these titles in March.

In samuel's post, he stated that ADV has NOT made any public statements reguarding any license matters but that IVC2 reported that ADV's license on about 3 dozen new titles expired in February and that they're trying to renew their licenses with ARM and Sojitz corp.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

March is the month that ADV always annouces new licenses and titles, all titles also recieve copyright changovers during March that is what I meant to say. Most likely, they will release these titles in March.

In samuel's post, he stated that ADV has NOT made any public statements reguarding any license matters but that IVC2 reported that ADV's license on about 3 dozen new titles expired in February and that they're trying to renew their licenses with ARM and Sojitz corp.

So then I guess my question is- how did they loose lisences on shows they hadn't even finished putting out yet? Does that mean they sat on the lisence far too long or that the Japanese gave them an impossible amount of time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

Again, I don't know where you're getting this "information", but contracts are signed on an ongoing basis. New deals are made at various markets and meetings at various times of year. There is no magical month of start dates and end dates.

Standard industry practice for a license term is 7 or 10 years. For a term to end early, one of any number of contractual "early termination" clauses must be met. This can include anything from failure to abide by the terms of the contract, to a "force majure" situation where a new law or a flood makes the terms of the contract untenable.

As there has been no indication of exactly what is happening, and hasn't been in some time, I understand why people are trying to fill in the blanks. However, at this point people are just making stuff up, and that's completely counterproductive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8