• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Anime Center's Kubo Offers Proposal on Fansubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42:

There are two important things you're missing though. They already cannot control their shows getting put up online for free. Fansubers can already do this it just takes slightly more effort. It isn't really of any consequence that they can now do it somewhat easier.

Secondly, someone would have to be a pretty big asshole to still choose the illegal option that doesn't support the industry just to avoid some commercials. I don't think the majority of downloaders are nearly that bad. There are plenty who download because they lack the means to pay, there are plenty that would love to support the industry but aren't willing to pay the hefty price it requires.

I believe those that would be so selfish to resort to such means are a very small group or for that matter if there are enough people like this to make a significant difference I think the industry is screwed no matter what.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
@ikillchicken: There are a number of points I would like to address and make...

[Pet Peeve Rant.]

#1: Nitpicking here, but (for me, anyway) it isn't so much price that is responsible for downloads but time. Why should I have to wait - and I am not exaggerating here - two YEARS for an episode to make its way from Japan to a DVD on a shelf in a store in my hometown? In today's world, that is unnecessary (two days with fansubs, not two years), and cruel (I am two YEARS behind in regards to my DVD collection and general Anime knowledge). All it does is make me have to choose between getting something two YEARS out of date, and performing what is technically an illegal act and download a fansub.

[/Pet Peeve Rant.]

#2: The first point you made, I already mentioned in my previous post. I claimed that it was a major stumbling block for such a scheme as the one Dust2 was proposing.

#3: It is my hope that people would take the sub that was earlier, guilt-free, and probably of a higher quality (anyone who says fansubbers are perfect should look at the subs for Gundam 00). Let us not forget LEGAL. So therefore I do agree that someone would have to have a dissimilar value base in order for them to cut the ads out. Unfortunately, there are people like that, and all it takes is one person.

#4: With that in mind, would I go for the fan-altered ad-free official download, or the original? Well, as someone who receives nine minutes of ads per half-hour of television, I would say the ad-free altered version is tempting. But I would take the original, simply to support the industry, and I believe that enough people would do the same that it COULD become profitable.

#5: So having given some thought into the subject, I think we could make the proposal by Dust2 better by moving the ads. If there were no ads in the actual download, just on the site hosting the downloads, then given possible visitor numbers it might just even out. For example, if enough production studios actually got on board, and the site was marketed as encouraging people to download a legal sub of their favourite series, then visitor numbers could be quite high. Imagine how many people do not download fansubs (for various reasons), but would like to. Then take the approximate number of fansub downloads for a show Gundam 00 (easily over 10,000 a week), multiply by the number of currently running shows (unsure, but for argument's sake only 10), and that is 100,000 views per week on the back of just currently running series. A back-catalogue would naturally push this number a lot higher.

With such exposure, fansub groups would not have the numbers they once enjoyed, with the new site offering all the new (and many old) shows quickly, with high-quality subs (in different languages), while also being entirely legal and free. Advertisers could target audiences a bit better than what television can deliver, and if studios wish, they can install a forum to allow viewers to provide crucial feedback, resulting in better Anime for fans to enjoy.

Yes, I can see what Dust2 is trying to get. But it won't be easy. Although I have faith that people will watch, the trouble is convincing the studios to go along with it. If the Japanese people decide to watch the ad-free version instead of the broadcasted version, then studio participation is likely to be zip (as I assume they have lucrative contracts with television broadcasters).

So anyway, to sum up #5, I reckon they should leave the ads on the hosting site only. Putting them in a download is probably the big reason that might stop people leaving the inferior (but ad free) fansubs. And even if someone decides to upload the Anime onto their own site, the loyalty of fans will stop that small minority from capitalising on it.

Five minutes, and already a post script is required:
POST SCRIPT: Okay, I may have gotten a little enthusiastic on this subject, but I yearn for a solution that will stop me downloading fansubs out of virtual necessity, as well give the Industry a helping hand. I apologise for getting carried away.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Some DVDs have unskippable ads. Do they have special software or something that makes the ads unskippable?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Most "unskippable" ads at the beginning of a DVD (Funimation is a particularly big offender on this) can be skipped by hitting Stop and then the Menu button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42:

I honestly don't mean to be rude but I have to ask: What on earth are you talking about? You're responding to my post with a bunch of stuff that seems to agree with me or counter points I never made. Then though, you sum it all up by again making it sound like this wouldn't work. I haven't the slightest idea what you're trying to say here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7