• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, perhaps the reason why my local stores haven't had as much problem with this is because, of the 4-5 I check periodically when looking for new manga volumes, all of them have the "graphic novels" sections on a direct line of sight from a Customer Service desk. It's nearly impossible to plop down in the aisle and read something without being very conspicuous about it. Or maybe the staffs in this area are just more diligent about policing things? The other possibility is that most of these stores being in more upscale areas may have something to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, it's a big problem at the B&N in Fort Collins these days. Doesn't matter what time of day/night you go, there's always 4-8 kids sitting in the aisles, which aren't that big anyway. I'm constantly finding stuff out of place and I try to fix it (working in a movie store has made me feel sorry for people who have to re-alphabetize, it's such a pain). And most of these kids don't even bother moving when you ask them, so you just have to step around them, knocking into other people. It's so annoying.
Our section is in the back, so apparently the staffers don't care much. I feel guilty if I stand and read for more than a chapter, sheesh. It's just plain rude to spend hours in a store and not buy anything, especially bookstores. We have the same problem with our movie store: people will come in, literally spend hours browsing, then leave without spending a dime. If you're going to be out, spend some money, the economy could use it.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The very worst is the kind that will just rip off the plastic wrap that the store puts around some of the volumes, and in doing so rip off the price tag and code also! How do you expect anyone to be able to get it past the clueless-but-well-meaning cashiers now?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't seem to be bothered by them that much. Except when they start complaining to you about things you could care a less about. Like "Hey, stop stepping on my head!" or "Your cleats are on my bag!" They can be so annoying.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hmmm, perhaps the reason why my local stores haven't had as much problem with this is because, of the 4-5 I check periodically when looking for new manga volumes, all of them have the "graphic novels" sections on a direct line of sight from a Customer Service desk. It's nearly impossible to plop down in the aisle and read something without being very conspicuous about it. Or maybe the staffs in this area are just more diligent about policing things? The other possibility is that most of these stores being in more upscale areas may have something to do with it.

Until I started going to the Greenwood Park Mall, I'd never seen anyone in the manga aisles in Indy. Both the Lafayette Square Mall Waldenbooks and the various bookstores in the Castleton Square Mall were completely devoid of any manga browsers except for my husband and I. At the Greenwood Park Mall's bookstores there are usually people looking, but I think I've only seen one 'manga cow' thus far. The covers of the volumes seem to be in good shape too, then again, I'm usually in brick-and-mortar bookstores looking for out of print manga rather than the current hot titles, so that might make a difference in that regard. They've had years of shelf-sitting to regain their unbended state.
quartears

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
so true, I literally can't walk through the manga aisle when there's a con nearby. Stupid kids evERYWHERE!
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
quartears wrote:
so true, I literally can't walk through the manga aisle when there's a con nearby. Stupid kids evERYWHERE!

The Borders in Baltimore during Otakon was such a mess! I had to literally hop over people to get through the section.

The worst part, though, is people who read the manga with sticky hands, or bend the book waaaay back, thereby curling the cover and/or ruining the spine. I'm really anal about having nice book covers, so I can't buy a manga that someone else has already had their paws all over...
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This is why I advocate complaining to the corporates than the stores themselves. Locally, the stores can't do nothing. You complain to the Corporate bigwigs, they may do something.

Every lost sale kills them. Manga Cows aren't customers. Their leeches.
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
LOL, I've had that problem before. Every ahelf as someone sitting in front of it because people don't like to sit in chairs and out of people's way for some reason. Also, that last part was hilarious!
escahime65

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I want to know who it was that decided to put chairs and tables in bookstores anyway. It really is not supposed to be a library. If you can't figure out if you would like something from looking through it quickly while standing up, you probably wouldn't like it so move on!

I also can't stand to have my manga bent or damaged in any way so I've stopped buying manga in stores completely. Seeing those manga cows all the time really did it for me. Plus, pay full price at B&N and get a book that may be damaged and have security tags in it? No thanks. I get all my manga online at justmanga.com with a discount and free candy! Can't beat that.
misosoupwitheggplant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Amazingly enough... I've never seen a manga cow at the waldenbooks that I live a mile away from... Though it might be because they only come when I'm not there... Or, they might not even go there. Probably the former (I've never found a stain in my manga collection that was not from me or my friends.) If someone were blocking my way, I'd probably have to do what Nina did Anime hyper. Or, just step on them.
Fabe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Never ran into a problem with manga cows at my chapters but once around Christmas this year they had a musician set up right by the manga section pretty much blocking it off. also they apparently have a problem with people stealing manga.
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems you have to start somewhere.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
one problem...the bat doesn't have any nails sticking out of it.

Nina will fix that. But she won't stop there. She'll make bigger bats and bigger nails.

One day she'll build a bat with a nail in it so big it will DESTROY US ALL.
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
This is the one thing I never get tired of on ANN. The comic is just how it's supposed to be, truth with what should happen tagged onto it.

Are the characters based off of staff members at ANN? Somehow I see Kevin as Zac but I'm not sure about anyone else. If this question has already been answered I apologize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9