• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Champloo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I can say this is a masterpiece, I've seen Cowboy Beebop 3 times to see what people were talking about, as for SC I thought the anime was good, and I went from one ep to the next without stop.

Not to say it's a bad anime, I think it was really well made, and if I had a complaint I wouldn't know where it would be. For some reason, the anime didn't really "click" for me. In an sense I can't place it. But I'd say SC would rate at 8/10 for me, and Beebop actually rate even lower.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

As for the OP alone, I think I liked the cool clever artwork and how it flowed with the song rather than the song itself. They fit very well together, but I can understand how scrutinizing the song could reveal its boringness.

I feel the same way about it. I'm quite sure I would not care for the song along without the visuals unlike what happens with OP songs that really like but somehow it fits very well with the overall mood and is representative of the show. And I really dislike rap, it tends to annoy me to no end.
I think that the ED doesn't get enough attention, thought. I actually liked it much more, it is rather melancholy and sweet. The visuals lack animation except in the very first scene with Fuu standing at the beach at sunset but are filled with stactic scenes that are wonderful to behold.
Sabut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Greennunu wrote:
I don't know if I can say this is a masterpiece, I've seen Cowboy Beebop 3 times to see what people were talking about, as for SC I thought the anime was good, and I went from one ep to the next without stop.

I can't see the point of Cowboy Bebop neither, I have seen from episode 1 to 16-17 and it didn't catches my attention at all. The OST is very good but I need something more. The space battles, the characters, the funny moments, the serious moments, I think any of them are remarkable at all in Cowboy Bebop.

However I really liked Samurai Champloo, it's a good friendship story that shows really well the loneliness of people. In Cowboy Bebop the funny moments absolutely broke the rhythm but not here. I never listen Rap music but I liked the OST of Samurai Champloo, even the opening theme. The sword fights where very fluid however I don't completely liked them.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
After watching the first episode:

1) one of the sword guys is voiced by very sad case of a voice acting career, where almost all what the actor was made to do in his professional life is to voice swordsmen;

2) I never give mercy to anime anyway, but especially in cases where it pretends to be more than it is.

For example, this project pretends to be "adult" and "mature" -- you know, with limbs flying/chopped off, fingers broken, murders and blood left and right -- and yet authors still play patty cakes with the viewers with such ridiculously fake developments as heroes being made to undergo "torture shop", which, all of sudden -- purely for the purpose of the story not ending right away -- conveniently omits torture practices that make irrecoverable damage to their bodies. After real torture practices of that time period, the biggest probability would be that they would die slow painful deaths, and only uniquely rare chance would be for them to survive -- though in absolutely helpless, crippled state. No way the story would be able to continue after this.

This is especially insulting because authors think that viewers will be so hooked up on "raw" aspect of the project that they will miss how fake the story is. No, viewers are not blind, and they are not idiots, they see what you are doing, and why, and it is insipid.

Honest way to make a project is to either present setting where nothing really cruel happens at all, or, if you go to the more realistic portrayal of the bloody mess that the historic period actually was, you have responsibility not to cheat. When one approach pretends to be another it shows that authors have no class to respect viewers enough, which is disappointing.

3) that said, it does not mean that the anime is bad or anything like that yet. There are always good qualities to projects. Lets see how strong they will show themselves in later episodes.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Noticed that Samurai Champloo wasn't a part of the Anime Discussion Index. Added this thread to it and made it the main discussion thread for the series. First post updated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about masterpiece (though it is really good) but I LOVE the soundtrack and still play it to this day. Speaking of which, it seems that most of soundtracks used in Watanabe'e work is top notch because I'm still playing Zankyou no Terror OST as well.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This series is easily in my top 10. Unlike Cowboy Bebop, I actually grew to care about the characters. I even grew attached to some of the secondary characters. The OST is also a plus.

Whenever I watch this series, I feel relaxed. The factors I mentioned above are big factors in that. However, one of the only things going against the show is that spoiler[zombie episode. I remember the first time watching it and thought that it was a different show. I skip it whenever I give the series another watch. ]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
After watching all episodes -- complete overview with nineteen points:

Music/Sound/Voices:

1) mostly inappropriate to the era music (though as standalone work it is good);
2) great folklore songs;
3) one of the sword guys is voiced by very sad case of a voice acting career, where almost all what the actor was made to do in his professional life is to voice swordsmen;
4) a lot of mostly bad foreigner accents.

Subtitles:

1) Subtitles are very loose for this project. Often times do not match to what characters actually say in Japanese.

Visuals:

1) sloppy drawing, including characters -- though this seems to be style, not just bad animation;
2) most of characters' faces are more realistic than animesque, they are not made to look cute at all;
3) since it is an old show, there is not high-definition in the animation. Though details and overall quality is not poor, unlike most of anime that came just few years before this one.

Characters:

1) main heroine is cute both in personality and how she is drawn. I really hate how many, or even the most of, anime make female characters violent wretches (on the idiotic idea that everybody would love that), or annoying stalkers, or useless decorations without character whatsoever. But this project is definitely not any of those repulsive variants;

2) most of other characters are so well-written that there is no real way to make anything better in that regard;

Concept/Setting:

1) it is another projects by director Shinichiro Watanabe about wandering financially broken travellers that get into episodic adventures;

2) there are so many anime about samurai, that this setting maybe even subtracts from the project, not adds to it;

3) this project is rather thin on developments of main story, so most of it episodic, "story of the week" thing. The quality of many of the stories, though, stands out, so it is not such a significant drawback as in most of other cases of episodic anime. Besides, even with such episodic structure, the project still moves -- at least on the map of hero's adventures, so viewers can see that thing do not stand still;

4) the projects tries to present itself as raw realism in many aspects, but dramatically fails in that in couple of key points (see "Story" section);

5) this show has a lot of anachronisms such as glass designs, mentions sports, and use of anglicisms that obviously did not exist in the Edo era;

6) few episodes were inserted mostly to fill the 26-episode quota, and they also expose Shinichiro Watanabe's wish to break free from this narrow setting and make something like Space Dandy anime -- what he has done many years later after completing this Samurai Champloo show;

7) since it is an older anime, it was made in times when 26-episodose was a norm for the industry. If such project would be made now, it could be cut to 13 episodes right away. For such a good project, it would be a disaster. Yes, Space Dandy effectively did become a 26-episodes (2 * 13) long anime, but it was not guaranteed at all.

Story:

1) I never give mercy to anime anyway, but especially in cases where it pretends to be more than it is.

For example, this project pretends to be "adult" and "mature" -- you know, with limbs flying/chopped off, fingers broken, murders and blood left and right -- and yet authors still play patty cakes with the viewers with such ridiculously fake developments as heroes being made to undergo "torture shop", which, all of sudden -- purely for the purpose of the story not ending right away -- conveniently omits torture practices that make irrecoverable damage to their bodies. After real torture practices of that time period, the biggest probability would be that they would die slow painful deaths, and only uniquely rare chance would be for them to survive -- though in absolutely helpless, crippled state. No way the story would be able to continue after this.

This is especially insulting because authors think that viewers will be so hooked up on "raw" aspect of the project that they will miss how fake the story is. No, viewers are not blind, and they are not idiots, they see what you are doing, and why, and it is insipid.

Honest way to make a project is to either present setting where nothing really cruel happens at all, or, if you go to the more realistic portrayal of the bloody mess that the historic period actually was, you have responsibility not to cheat. When one approach pretends to be another it shows that authors have no class to respect viewers enough, which is disappointing;

2) the ending also contains huge elements that contradict to concept of raw realism of the show. Couple of male heroes would not really survive at all.

Resume:

This show is between "Very Good" and "Excellent" in ANN rating system. If the first and final episodes during pre-production would be rewritten to avoid the obvious miracles mentioned in the "Story" section, it would be between "Excellent" and "Masterpiece". Conceptual consistency is very important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2