• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Digimon Xros Wars Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
chocoburger wrote:
Thanks for the obligatory pot shot at the dub. Wanna see how well anime does in America without dubs? Believe me, you wouldn't like the results.

I loved the Digimon dubs since I'm not a persnickety purist who can't understand the point of dubs.

There's a huge difference between a dub and a hackjob. You act like the Digimon hackjob was a typical normal Funimation DVD dub.. it's not. When you have characters acting completely different, the entire script/story being changed, the music is gutted and replaced with popculture Smash Mouth junk, digital paint and culture being gutted and splattered all over the place , then it's no longer a dub; it's a hackjob. You completely diminish the word 'purist' by using it in this instance by implying only a purist would not want to see their show be completely ruined. Go watch Mexico's dub of Digimon if you want a dub of the series, the US version isn't the one to watch.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

stuff

Clearly there are people who like it, so deal. While Digimon never has the most faithful dub, it's leaps and bounds better than most other dubs for kids. They sure didn't dance around the darker elements in Tamers. Besides, the dub cast rocks.

Pretty exciting news, somewhat odd that they are only putting up Xros Hunters and not the old series, but this might be reason enough for me to get a subscription. I hope that the subs are done by Crunchy rather than Toei though, otherwise it will...be an interesting translation.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
What is Toei's problem with releasing Digimon on DVD here anyway? Or is this another problem related to Saban being bought out by Disney? I can't see how Madman can release Digimon yet a company like Funimation, Well Go, or Shout Factory can't try to get the rights in the US for past seasons...

I hope at least that the stream numbers are enough to convince someone that this would do well on DVD or broadcast.

Well, technically Digimon boxsets of Savers came out, but english-only Sad But really? Madman got sets for it? Were they uncut/subbed/billingual??

It would be amazing to get some nice boxsets, but it's hard when Toei won't even give us Sailor Moon :/
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Clearly there are people who like it, so deal. While Digimon never has the most faithful dub, it's leaps and bounds better than most other dubs for kids. They sure didn't dance around the darker elements in Tamers. Besides, the dub cast rocks.

Well, I guess statistically there has to be a few people who liked it. I mean, even 4Kids One Piece, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh had fans.

Though Tamers got pretty heavy edits, dozens within the first few episodes alone, so I do wonder if you've even seen the original, they cut out quite a few 'darker elements' as you put it. The Dukemon scene was especially ruined in the dub with the censoring and terrible jokes/dialog added in.

Crunchyroll subs definitely seem like the preferred way to release the show, so people can see the true version of it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
So, with this geting a UK stream, I can watch Tamers and (urgh) Zero Two, right?

RIGHT?!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Woah, a Toei stream available in the UK. But yet again (I'm looking at you Working!!).. what about all the people who haven't been watching fansubs of the earlier series?

Wait.. is that a metal poop-mon in that picture? ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Wait.. is that a metal poop-mon in that picture? ^^;

Damemon

But yes, he's basically a metal Sukamon with tonfas.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
What is Toei's problem with releasing Digimon on DVD here anyway? Or is this another problem related to Saban being bought out by Disney? I can't see how Madman can release Digimon yet a company like Funimation, Well Go, or Shout Factory can't try to get the rights in the US for past seasons...

Well, technically Digimon boxsets of Savers came out, but english-only Sad

And unfinished, they only released two box sets with 2 of the 3 discs from the second set released later as singles before they dropped it completely.

Quote:
But really? Madman got sets for it? Were they uncut/subbed/billingual??

Nope, they only have the old Saban dub and they just finished releasing all of the show in 2 sets.

Another thing about Madman is that they actually finished releasing all of the Savers dub in 4 sets last year before they picked up Adventure.
darkcat1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
this is interesting but the trouble with all the streaming Toei subs is that they are terrible! I can only hope that this does not follow the trend set by Futari wa Pretty Cure, Digimon Adventure 02 and Digimon Tamers. Xross wars is not that great but I liked some of the fansubs and also if they are doing Hunters...well that has a totally separate storyline so you won't be missing much...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It sounds more like a regular Crunchyroll license than the regular Toei multicasts (none of which have been available outside North America) so they may have more control over subtitle quality.

I don't think Toei has a problem with releasing the discs - there have been multiple releases both in the US and UK - they just seem to be destined to fail (the most recent attempt in the UK got 20 episodes into Adventure before stalling and that was three years ago)

TitanXL wrote:
Damemon

But yes, he's basically a metal Sukamon with tonfas.

I always meant to update my encylopedia with all the newer mons (I still only have the original Megchan data) but never got around to it. I'm not overly familiar with anything past Savers although I believe I did get some of the alpha cards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2